Martin Scorsese’s THE IRISHMAN (2019)

mrbellamy

14 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Is it me or does De Niro’s face look digitized in some shots? Did they artificially make him look younger?

This is a joke right?

Yeah it's the been the most notable thing we know about this movie for years and the reason it's a Netflix movie since they were the only ones willing to put up the obscene amount of money needed to pull it off since back in 2016 especially they were chasing prestige hard.

You don’t need to live in a bubble not to know what’s up with Scorsese’s next movie but I’m surprised such a big cinephile missed all this talk.

7 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

What talk? This thread was started on Monday. 

I don’t know if it was talked about here much. But I feel like I’ve seen stories on this pop up every few months on film sites since this was announced.

From

On 7/12/2017 at 4:19 PM, Disco Stu said:

Scorsese is reportedly employing Industrial Light & Magic, the VFX company that brought Peter Cushing back to life for Rogue One, to de-age De Niro for flashback sequences.

From

On 12/5/2018 at 2:54 AM, Alexcremers said:

Netflix later acquired worldwide rights to the film for a reported $105m setting a budget of $125m. According to reports, costs ended up soaring because of the CGI required to make the 74-year-old De Niro look like a 30-year-old for the scenes set in 1959.

And here's some newer info from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Irishman_(2019_film)

By March 5, 2018, it was also reported the film's budget had ballooned from $125 million to $140 million, due in large part to the visual effects needed to make De Niro, Pesci, and Pacino appear up to 30 years younger at various points throughout the film.[35] By August of that year, the cost had risen to as much as $175 million, and by the time post-production had wrapped it reached $200 million, making it the most expensive film of Scorsese's career.

It will be interesting to see how well they pull it off!

46 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I think I can already predict that this will be the most overrated film of the year.

Wow thanks for your invaluable contribution to this thread!

Music is being provided by Robbie Robertson (of The Band fame).  I'm guessing that means he wrote a few original songs and is also serving as music supervisor for the needle drops (he's been music supervisor for several other Scorsese movies), but maybe he's actually writing score cues as well..

On 8/1/2019 at 11:36 AM, KK said:

Not entirely convinced by the de-aging shots though.

Trailers really aren’t a good measure for digital effects.

These usually get heavily reworked between the trailer and the film’s release. We’re reached a point where it does often work quite well.

Still, a movie with CGI de-aged actors has very little chance of becoming a classic in my universe (but your light years may vary).

Maybe, but to me de-aged actors are too invasive and distractive. It's not just some effect in the background. 

When people say "Samuel L. Jackson was great in Captain Marvel', I simply don't understand it. I'm constantly aware that his face has been computerized.

On 7/31/2019 at 8:43 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

I think I can already predict that this will be the most overrated film of the year.

I agree with this to the extent that because it has 3 superstar actors, is directed by a superstar director, and appears to feature the Kennedy assassination (you know... respecting history), no critic will dare to speak up if they think it's rubbish.

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I agree with this to the extent that because it has 3 superstar actors, is directed by a superstar director, and appears to feature the Kennedy assassination (you know... respecting history), no critic will dare to speak up if they think it's rubbish.

Forget everything else, just the fact that it's Scorsese mean it won't get a fair shake and some people will feel predisposed to like it because he's such a legend.

But I have take no prisoners approach. No one gets a free pass. Even old masters have to actually make a great movie to earn a great review.

On the one hand, you have 'respect for the legend', but there's also such a thing as loyal fanboys, who will love it regardless, whether it's great or not.  I respect Scorsese but I'm certainly not in love with everything he did. 

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus...

Scorcese seriously needs a better editor...

But really, I'm betting that number will change.

Well obviously...my point was just a broader remark on how Scorcese's latest films have been super indulgent in runtime, often to their detriment.

Nobody is infallible. Scorsese has made bad films too. Thelma has done bad jobs too.

The runtime won't change or does not need to change because this is a streaming movie. It will have a vanity showing in some theaters but the movie was conceived of and exists as a movie to be streamed. And there are no limitations there with regards to runtime. People can pause or take breaks or watch it is a miniseries or what not.

Yeah, on the whole the experience of pace on the small screen is entirely different to the cinema. I'm not terribly enthused, but we shall have to wait and see.

Very excited about the length here. I'm not that enthused about long films anymore, but there are some exceptions. Scorsese is certainly one of them. The sheer energy of WOLF OF WALL STREET made the experience feel like 90 minutes, even though it's twice that. I'm hoping he brings some of that to THE IRISHMAN as well.

• 3 weeks later...