“We’re Lookin’ Good” performance from 1987

KingPin

Excellent find.  This is a piece deserving of a proper recording (and more live performances).  An uplifting, yet fun, piece without any over the top reverence or needless sentimentality. 

Does the Special Olympics use the piece?  

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Does the Special Olympics use the piece?  

Not now, but it did that year.

This is the recording that's been available on bootlegs for decades now. It's a shame no video or audio exists of the version with the song/lyrics part as written by the Bergmans. And yes, it should obviously get a 'proper' recording at some point.

Is the sound qualify of this video better than the bootleg ?

k. m. Using a mobile device to post  for the first time ever

The "bootleg" was just a private CD-R by a friend, who shared it with everyone who asked, nearly 20 years ago. Several people got that old CD-R (myself included) and from there some of the tracks were shared with others. I actually believe that the audio track might be slightly superior to the youtube video, but since I'm out of town in vacations, I won't be able to double check for another week.

This isn't the same recording as on the bootleg though...the bootleg has a wrong note in the trumpets at the bit around 21:15 of this video, which is missing here.

(Unless there's another bootleg I'm not aware about).

13 hours ago, Loert said:

This isn't the same recording as on the bootleg though...the bootleg has a wrong note in the trumpets at the bit around 21:15 of this video, which is missing here.

(Unless there's another bootleg I'm not aware about).

I believe it was on the FANFARES & THEMES one from the 90s. I've long since thrown out that old CD-R, but I've kept the "We're Lookin' Good" track, and to my ears it sounds more or less identical to the Youtube video version, both in sound and performance.

50 minutes ago, Dieter Stark said:

Wasn't there a decent recording of this? I seem to recall having it from iTunes years ago.

There's this marching band medley that was officially released, but as far as I know, no recording exists of the "proper" symphonic version that is in the Youtube video or on the ol' bootleg:

By the way, has anyone tried to scour footage of the 87 Special Olympics to find the version with the lyrics? I know it seems impossible, but we eventually managed to find the Michael Dukakis fanfare that way, after going through endless footage of the Democratic Convention in Atlanta (eventually, of course, it was not found on Youtube, but some .org site).