Is "Keeping Up With the Joneses" a concert arrangement?

Demodex

13 hours ago, Bellosh said:

The whole cue 'Short Round's Theme' is actually heard in full in the film, so it's not a concert arrangement either.

The only actual concert arrangements from the Indy series composed and recording alongside the rest of the soundtrack (i.e. like we’re used to with the Star Wars series, all the way back to Princess Leia’s Theme) are those for the fourth film, right?

17 minutes ago, Dieter Stark said:

Correct! There are no concert recordings in the Indy trilogy. They're all film tracks and Joneses is an alternate.

However, there were arrangements/suite released from the films by others both contemporaneously and through today:

Example: Roy Budd & The London Symphony: Raiders and Temple of Doom Suite (1986). I suspect Roy Budd put this together himself but actually have not researched it.

Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra appeared on the first Williams/Spielberg album in 1991, and we heard it this year with Dudamel in a different version for Celebrating John Williams.

6 hours ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

It is widely believed to be an alternate for the Biplane Chase.

Actually it’s written for the biplane vs. car chase. The cue is meant to start right after Indy says “Hold tight, dad, we’re landing” and then continue until the “birds of Charlemagne” stunt. In the end, they  decided to dial out the first part of the cue and rescore the second half with a more straightforward cue using the Scherzo motif instead of the lyrical, sentimental Father/Son theme.

7 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

Correct! There are no concert recordings in the Indy trilogy. They're all film tracks and Joneses is an alternate.

I don't know where it's from but I have a track that seems to be a concert arrangement of Marion's theme.  It doesn't have the ominous cue at the end like the CD I have for when the Nazi symbol on the crate holding the Ark burns away. 

That montage definitely gives context to what Williams was doing in that score. Similar to some of the themes in the Star Wars prequels, Williams was scoring his idea of what the director was trying to convey but didn't really achieve (most notably the lush love theme for the world's worst love story in AOTC). 

But the idea of Ivanka Spanko's character being the archetypal 'seductive femme fatale' is absurd. They don't really play up those traits at all, as interesting as that dynamic would've been with Marion around. She might have had something meaningful to contribute to the story! Alas, not with Koepp on the job. 

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

That montage definitely gives context to what Williams was doing in that score. Similar to some of the themes in the Star Wars prequels, Williams was scoring his idea of what the director was trying to convey but didn't really achieve (most notably the lush love theme for the world's worst love story in AOTC). 

But the idea of Ivanka Spanko's character being the archetypal 'seductive femme fatale' is absurd. They don't really play up those traits at all, as interesting as that dynamic would've been with Marion around. She might have had something meaningful to contribute to the story! Alas, not with Koepp on the job. 

I think the theme was inspired more by Williams’ infatuation with the actress portraying the character than anything else—“she would rule my world!”, as he said on camera to Spielberg ;) 

8 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

I think the theme was inspired more by Williams’ infatuation with the actress portraying the character than anything else—“she would rule my world!”, as he said on camera to Spielberg ;) 

Indeed. But Irina's theme is such a wonderful tribute to the old film noir scores in style that it is a shame that no one has recorded the concert arrangement yet. It is simply gorgeous.

And it is very true that Irina Spalko in Indy IV doesn't have anything to do with the whole femme fatale archetype as characterized by the old film noir leading ladies. Sure she is a fatal female character but in a different sense entirely. 

Blanchett is definitely Williams' cuppa tea. She has that old Hollywood style in the vein of Hepburn which I can see inspiring Williams, hence the delightful theme (that doesn't really fit the character at all). 

It would've been nice if Spielberg doubled down on the film noire style (in the vein of a Humphrey Bogart mystery) but the film ended up some bizarre hybrid of styles and feels more like a poor initiation of his own work than a continuation.

I guess film composers, more often than not, have to grapple on anything that could work as source of inspiration, even if that bring them a bit far from the actual thing (much like Leia’s theme seems to score more Luke’s idealistic vision of the female character than the character herself). But that’s the fascinating aspect of film music—there’s always more than one solution to the problem.

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Blanchett is definitely Williams' cuppa tea. She has that old Hollywood style in the vein of Hepburn which I can see inspiring Williams, hence the delightful theme (that doesn't really fit the character at all). 

It would've been nice if Spielberg doubled down on the film noire style (in the vein of a Humphrey Bogart mystery) but the film ended up some bizarre hybrid of styles and feels more like a poor initiation of his own work than a continuation.

Williams score very much reflects this hybrid style with references to the Golden Age era inspiration of the original Indy scores, film noirs for Irina, Errol Flynn-inspired Korngoldesque swashbuckling for Mutt and 1950's and 1960's sci-fi film music for the Crystal Skull. 

2 hours ago, TownerFan said:

I guess film composers, more often than not, have to grapple on anything that could work as source of inspiration, even if that bring them a bit far from the actual thing (much like Leia’s theme seems to score more Luke’s idealistic vision of the female character than the character herself). But that’s the fascinating aspect of film music—there’s always more than one solution to the problem.

I wonder where Goldsmith got inspiration from for Rambo III. He probably transformed the ridiculous portrayal of the Middle Eastern conflicts into the actual situation as he perceived it emotionally from the media and then scored that.