SUPERMAN (1978) - Live-to-Projection Concert

SyncMan

,For the record, I've been logging in to FCL's website every day, twice a week, since January hoping that something like this would come.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I wonder if any unused music will be restored to picture like with JAWS and CE3K

If this concert presents the theatrical cut, which would be a safe bet because of the length, it would have to be some of the music unheard in the final cut.  The TC is a trimmed down version of the cut that Williams used to write his score.

Having said that, I would like to hear music that was unscored in the TC during such sequences like the destruction of Krypton, and the ‘super-feasts’ in the film’s latter half.

Perhaps if Mike Matessino is involved in this concert, as he has in both JAWS and CE3K, this may happen.

I think mike mentioned something in one of the interviews that he'd like to restore some of the music should it ever happen. We'll see. I hope LSO performs it over here. :)

Karol

17 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Just imagine sitting in a concert hall and listening to the flying sequence...

With that awful edit in there? ;)

Karol

Mike Matessino seems very sure that this concert will not get booked this year.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=124036&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=11&r=835#bottom

Untitled.png

I figured that during the remaining weeks of December, the music venues would be putting on Xmas shows.

On 8/12/2019 at 8:02 AM, bollemanneke said:

So… why announce it now? Or is it always like this, that they just tell the world they CAN organise this concert and then see what happens?

I’m thinking that the reason Mike M. is so sure that this concert will not be presented this year is because this concert-program is still in-production—it’s not ready to be performed, yet.  Perhaps, the producers of the concert, Film Concerts Live, are awaiting John Williams involvement on it since he's busy with SW:TROS. The producers made this announcement, now, because…

1. they know that at this time, all the concert-halls from around the world would have filled-up their dates with shows for the remainder of this year.
  2. FCL can, now, start making bookings (aka, collecting money) for this concert for 2020.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we’ll see this concert turn-up as early as Spring 2020.  I’ve seen concert-halls announced a new show while a concert season is in progress.

This practice is similar to Amazon.com accepting preorders on a book or DVD months before the merchandise hits the warehouse.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In that KKL Luzern program, there's no name of a choir ensemble.  Does that mean that the concert version of the cues, Leaving Home, The Fortress of Solitude, and Luthor's Lethal Weapon will...

1. Have a pre-recorded female choir
  2. No choir

Gosh darn, you blokes! ;)

Royal Philharmonic Orchestra at the RAH, October 27th, 2020

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2020/superman-in-concert/

Priority Booking for Royal Albert Hall Friends & Patrons opens at 10am on October 2nd, 2019

Tickets go on general sale at 10am on Friday, October 4, 2019

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Ooooh.  I think that'd be a better place to see it than Lucerne, damn....

Yup, and LSO are doing Jedi a couple of days before that. And Don Davis is conducting The Matrix the day after. :)

But then. the the Lucerne orchestra is very good. So I'm sure you'll enjoy it regardless. :)

Karol

He means the London Symphony Orchestra is performing ROTJ live in October 2020

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/series/films-in-concert/

They already did Star Wars in October 2018 and Empire Strikes Back in September 2019

I messed up on a posting.

This quote from the RAH website on Superman...

Approximate running time 141 minutes plus one 25 minute interval

Should have been here, but I accidently posted in the STAR WARS LTP thread.

Basically, the RAH is showing the 1978 theatrical cut, not the director's 2000 extended cut.

And no chorus ensemble is mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

From @Corellian2019's post on the CE3K-LTP concert thread.

10 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

So after speaking w/ Mike tonight, I can confirm that the "Air Traffic Control" music is really just tracked from "Trucking". He said that he put it together after the concert's producers complained that the musical gap between "Lost Squadron" and "Trucking" was too long, and after showing the editorially created cue to JW, it was approved

Assuming that “Mike” is  Mike Matessino , then I hope that the producers of this concert, who are the same ones that produced the CE3K-LTP concert, can bring in “Mike” to, possibly, do a suggested music-edit for scenes that Williams originally scored for and that portions of music cue were dialed-out in the final-edit like:

• The Destruction of Krypton
  • Luthor’s Lair
  • Superfeats

There are gaps between music cues during the action sequences of these scenes in the final film-edit.

7 hours ago, SyncMan said:

From @Corellian2019's post on the CE3K-LTP concert thread.

Assuming that “Mike” is  Mike Matessino , then I hope that the producers of this concert, who are the same ones that produced the CE3K-LTP concert, can bring in “Mike” to, possibly, do a suggested music-edit for scenes that Williams originally scored for and that portions of music cue were dialed-out in the final-edit like:

• The Destruction of Krypton
  • Luthor’s Lair
  • Superfeats

There are gaps between music cues during the action sequences of these scenes in the final film-edit.

He mentioned in one of the interviews that it is his intention to restore some music for Superman. But that was some time ago. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Karol

Yep! It was none other than Mike Matessino with whom I spoke. When talking about restoring unused portions of music for the Close Encounters concert, he casually mentioned Jaws and Superman as examples, so I think that's a soft confirmation that unused music will be restored for the Superman concert

17 hours ago, Richard said:

"Hagrid's flashback"? Care to enlighten, @bollemanneke?

3M1 Hagrid's Flashback is a cue from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone that was not on the OST album at all, but is present in the LLL box set as disc 1, track 9, Hagrid’s Flashback.

In the final film, Christopher Columbus dialed a lot of the music out, letting the scene play with no score. You can see what Williams intended restored in this video

Source and more videos: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26728-harry-potter-unused-music-restored/

The live to projection concerts for the Harry Potter series match all the edits and changes done for the final films, and do not restore any unused music.

On 10/15/2019 at 3:19 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I know that it's not a concert, in the strictest sense, but...is anyone considering a JWfan meet up, for this, and/or ROTJ?

Well, for what it's worth, I'll be in London for the Sunday night performance of ROTJ and this so why not? :)

Karol

• 1 month later...

Mike M. said on the FSM forum that the 'Love Theme from Superman' cue will not be played at the LTP concert.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=124036&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=11&r=227#bottom

Apparently, someone at the forum mentioned my suggestion for the LTP concert of putting a dedication clip in the end credits (see the 8:07 mark) to restore the 'love theme' cue to the unaltered length...

..., and Mike M. said this:

It's a nice idea, but it isn't going to be done this way. The "Love Theme" won't be played.