New The Rise of Skywalker score information from Don Williams

TownerFan

We finally get a news tidbit!  Thank you Don Williams!

So this event was August 3rd, and he says sessions started "last week" so that puts first sessions in the week of July 22nd - 26th.  Definitely a more compressed schedule than TFA this time, right?  Makes sense.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Main title conducted by Dudamel

And replaced with the TFA recording!

I expect that at this point, have consistency like the Prequels if they already did it once.

My speculative theory is the plot is basically a reworking of Spielberg's abandoned idea for Indy 4, with a bunch of neo-Nazis searching for a device in South America that could resurrect the dead. Their goal was to bring Hitler back from the dead and they ultimately succeeded until Indy saved the day.

My guess is all the characters find themselves at the wreckage of the Death Star because something there can resurrect Palpatine -- Kylo Ren tries to make it happen and Rey tries to stop him. So if some kind of mythical Sith artifact can resurrect people from the dead, attaching Duel of the Fates as the theme makes perfect sense IMO. Because ultimately, whether Rey or Kylo succeeds, the galaxy is at the same crossroads that it was back in TPM, hence being a 'Duel of the Fates.'

A "leak" I read of a great big Rey/Kylo duel, kinda supported by the "Art of..." cover, would certainly seem like a good opportunity to reference many older themes.

Anyone else a little surprised they only managed 34 minutes of complete music in four days of sessions, assuming each day was 6 hours long?

I thought we heard recently that John averaged about 15 minutes of finalized music per 3 hour session (on a good day).

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're taking their time. Seems like money isn't a problem and Disney/Kennedy have basically given the music department whatever Williams asked for to make the score perfect.

Certainly reinforces Williams' comments about these new SW sessions being "luxurious," if he's only locking 4 minutes of completed music per 3-hour session.

135 minutes surprises me too. They're not leaving a huge amount of time for re-writes (funny that we all joked about Williams doing this on purpose a few months back, but you have to wonder if it's true). If the film is around that length I'm pretty surprised -- though this would be as long as TLJ and the score itself would be even longer, in line with the last 2 sequels. Maybe all parties are just trying their best to nail things on the first attempt this time, JJ included.

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Maybe all parties are just trying their best to nail things on the first attempt this time, JJ included.

If I were JJ, I certainly would. Time is starting to run short.

I hope we get a new theme - worthy of recognition in the JWFan archives. That's my one wish for this score is to have a new theme that represents some feeling of legacy, fate, Star Wars, everything! A theme that can tie all the other themes together.

pffff, still hoping for a "deluxe" edition at the time of release...dream on

20 years minimum. At this stage I might not even be alive myself

"We've done 4 days and we've just scratched the surface. I think we've got something like 34 minutes in the can at this point but I can tell you that every theme you've ever heard is gonna be compiled into this last effort. Every one -- Leia, Yoda, the Phantom, Darth, all of it is gonna be in thereYou'll find them but you gotta go look for 'em! You'll be sitting there watching the film go by and there it is"

If the score is as badly mixed as TFA or the Prequels they'll be hard to hear for sure

And it's a bit worrisome there still 100 minutes of music not recorded

Mentioning specific new themes is obviously spoiling elements of the movie, which he can’t do. Amazing how anyone can find something worrisome in this little update. I’m just thrilled to learn that the score is almost in the bag, probably already fully composed. I almost didn’t dare to dream of a ninth SW score when he was announced for TFA.

Yeah, that's what he said "If my father used a condom, I would not be here to play fuckin' timpani for my talented, famous and so perfect brother."

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

And it's a bit worrisome there still 100 minutes of music not recorded

Why is that worrisome?  The recording schedule is what everyone assumed it would be (into the early-mid fall).  I find it heartening to know that the music itself has already been composed.  Sounds like Williams is a bit ahead of schedule, if anything.  

Edit: okay, I guess Don Williams does not confirm that much music has already been written.  Either way, Williams is in good health and currently recording.  

From Blu-ray.com forums:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=319247&page=10

"John Williams lost his touch long ago. His scores have no punch to them anymore. Age catches up to everyone. The guy is in his 80s. The movies need new talent for the music if they want new iconic themes that ppl will recognize without having to be told by nerds "Oh that song belongs to SW!!"

LOL :D we the nerds y'all!