Slant's Top 100 Sci-Fi Movies Of All Time

A24

I loved all the stuff with Luke on the island, with him turning his back on the Force and the Jedi. 

Felt very samurai movie-esque, with the young apprentice seeking out the old master in exile, etc. 

It's baffling to me how you guys don't see the ridiculousness of that scene, how Luke was fishing with that ridiculous harpoon, the way he got there, and how it was filmed and all. That whole scene felt like a comedy show making fun of Star Wars. A parody!

And you take it all so very seriously! Saying how dark it was ..

I'm a pretty big Star Wars fan - I watch all the movies, cartoons, etc, I read every comic, I try to keep up with the novels, I play the odd video game if it applies to my systems and has a single player story mode.  I found no problem with any of that island stuff.  I had bigger "problem" with the way Luke projected himself into battle and then crapped out toward the end of the film, although time has made that work much better for me.

21 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It's baffling to me how you guys don't see the ridiculousness of that scene, how Luke was fishing with that ridiculous harpoon, the way he got there, and how it was filmed and all. That whole scene felt like a comedy show making fun of Star Wars. A parody!

And you take it all so very seriously! Saying how dark it was ..

This.

On 8/15/2019 at 7:43 AM, Stefancos said:

SW fans refuse to accept that their hero might have taken a dark turn in life. They want everything to remain the same.

Come on! It's Luke!

To me the scores sound like they're the victims of nervous and hasty post. The constant re-edits and reshoots undermine any semblance of satisfying musical storytelling their might have once been.

I don't doubt that Abrams very much understands the worth of a good score, but it's clear there were complications or lack of focus towards the end of TFA's production, which possibly affected the cathartic sweep of Williams' work.

On 8/17/2019 at 8:18 AM, Richard said:

As it should be.

While watching Jaws, I noticed the da-dums. It is therefore a faulty score? 

On 8/20/2019 at 8:14 PM, Dieter Stark said:

TFA is a great example of a score that was really effective on album but then I watched the movie and it found it was frequently ineffective.

I find the OST presentation underwhelming too tbh. Well, at least compared to the originals +1.

On 8/21/2019 at 10:00 PM, Quintus said:

I find the OST presentation underwhelming too tbh. Well, at least compared to the originals +1.

T.F.A. is a serviceable score, but every time I look at the credits, I'm reminded that...well...it's not the L.S.O. To my ears, the deficiencies are obvious.

It's like a recipe for a fabulous cake, baked six times before, but the seventh time something is missing.

Just now, Richard said:

T.F.A. is a serviceable score, but every time I look at the credits, I'm reminded that...well...it's not the L.S.O. To my ears, the deficiencies are obvious.

I can't even tell the difference.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I'm reminded that...well...it's not the L.S.O. To my ears, the deficiencies are obvious.

This.

This and nothing but this.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

Many of the people who played in the LSO for Star Wars are dead, probably, or at least too old to hold their tubas.

Let's hope I'm never too old to hold my tuba :lol:

8 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

Oh come on, srsly?

Yes, seriously.

I've listened to all..ooh, let's see, now...all 14 (I think) J.W./L.S.O. scores. I've grown up with them, I've absorbed them, and I know how they sound - not just sonically, but musically.

I can't really explain it; maybe @Chen G. can, but, for me, the L.S.O., like all orchestras, has a unique sonic identity, found in its playing. Added to this, the studios contribute an enormous amount to how the L.S.O. sounds; it is, also, part of their "signature". If you want to compare, do an A/B of THE BATTLE OF HOTH, and any track from T.F.A. The expertise is there; the "feeling" is not.

On 8/17/2019 at 4:14 AM, Not Mr. Big said:

The Space Race was my least favorite part of the movie.  Don't set your Star Wars movie in the interior of a military freighter.  This is space fantasy, not boring-ass Battlestar Galactica.

That's why they went on an excursion to Canto Bight.