Alexcremers

The Amazon Rainforest Is Rapidly Burning To Ashes

Alas, I fear this too will fade out of conversation in the coming days as I don't see the Brazilian government budging on this. Won't be long before we reach the irreversible turning point :(

At this point, supporting key NGO work like that of Rainforest Trust and Rainforest Action Network is probably the best we could do.

Increasingly, being alive on this planet today feels the way it does when you’re in a place that you realize you should have left while the leaving was good.

Most, if not all, of us on these forums will be around for decades to come, watching in real time as our house collapses around us, virtually powerless at the individual level to do anything that will matter at the planetary level. Earth won’t care if it becomes uninhabitable for humans; it didn’t care when it became uninhabitable for dinosaurs or for whatever else was living during the four other mass extinctions. Some new form of life will come along and try again. Until then, Peter Thiel and his fellow Silicon Valley bajillionaires have their own remote, pristine, private chunks of New Zealand to run away to when things finally turn apocalyptic, you’ll be relieved to know. 

By the way, for some actual data instead of fake panic news, as per the Global Fire Emission Database, the cumulative monthly fire count as of August 21st is below 2016, and overall within the 15 year average.

According to NASA, activity was slightly higher in Amazonas and Rondonia, but below average in Mato Grosso and Para. 

The 42 areas of Amazonas that are officially protected are totally fine, by the way, no deforestation. 40% of Amazonas are outside Brazil.

On top of that, what causes these fires to a large degree are ranchers and farmers who lay fires to illegally acquire land.

Large parts in the last 20 years have been legally destroyed for, wait for it, soy bean production. If that isn't some hypocrisy ... let's eat less animals to "save the planet", while eating the soy crap that destroys far more than cattle.

Also, the rainforest will remain largely intact until at least 2100 according to research the past few years, even with higher emissions. It survived the last glacial minimum, when it was quite warmer than it is now.

And even if large parts did die - oxygen residence time is 3000-10.000 years. If all the plants on this planet were miraculously wiped out tomorrow, we could breathe oxygen exactly the same for roughly 2.000 years until the sea level oxygen pressure got down to 60%, which is equal to the Tibetan plateau. At which point, vegetation will have inevitably grown back again.

But I apologize in advance to Alexcremers for spoiling his nice fear mongering thread, started with nothing but a polemic statement and a random photo, with pesky facts.

On 8/24/2019 at 12:24 AM, gkgyver said:

The forest is dying since the 70s. Any news on acid rain?

There's no swimming, in the heavy water, no singing in the acid rain. Red alert!

Thanks for the above, gkgyver.  Out of interest, are you an ecologist? 

5 hours ago, gkgyver said:

But I apologize in advance to Alexcremers for spoiling his nice fear mongering thread, started with nothing but a polemic statement and a random photo, with pesky facts.

Without any links to support said "facts" though.

On 8/28/2019 at 8:40 AM, Stefancos said:

Without any links to support said "facts" though.

It's all over the news. Step out of your Star Trek bubble!

On 8/28/2019 at 7:15 AM, Richard said:

Out of interest, are you an ecologist? 

No, he's a denialist (and probably a flat-earther).

On 8/23/2019 at 6:58 PM, Holko said:

Oxygen is overrated anyway, right?

A Chinese hoax? 

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Alex, this gkgyver (whoever he/she is) has put across an alternate point of view, rather than joining the pipe-smoking, chin-stroking masses.

Denial usually occurs when someone refuses to cope with something unpleasant,something they don't want to deal with. It could be easier for your peace of mind to ignore all the warnings and believe everything is fine. Life is short, right? And you have no children anyway, so why should you care? 

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Denial usually occurs when someone refuses to cope with something unpleasant,something they don't want to deal with. It could be easier for your peace of mind to ignore all the warnings and believe everything is fine. Life is short, right? And you have no children anyway, so why should you care? 

I agree, but I like to hear all opinions, before I make up my mind, instead of being battered over the head with scaremongering.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Life is short, right? And you have no children anyway, so why should you care? 

Do you mean "one", or me, in particular?

11 hours ago, Richard said:

I agree, but I like to hear all opinions, before I make up my mind, instead of being battered over the head with scaremongering

So you care about the opinions of capitalist, racist, misogynistic cis white men who desire no accountability for the way they are destroying both the Earth and human culture in general?

I wonder how much more data Richard & Co require before they believe climate change and its consequences are real. And why is it so much easier for them to believe everyone is lying and all the evidence is fake (except for the so-called research funded by the oil and coal industries)? I already posted an explanation for why people prefer to deny all that is alarming, but apparently, there has been a study that links right-wing nationalism, anti-feminism and climate change. Three things Drax is famous for. 

The problem with data and scientific info is that it can be just as easily discredited by the Capitalist Right Wing elite and their enablers. Mainly because they hold much of the power and influence.

Don't you think the time is coming that we should stop trying to talk sense into these people and just act?

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Don't you think the time is coming that we should stop trying to talk sense into these people and just act?

I give my vote the greenies, Steef. They need to tell parliament that oxygen comes from trees and not from cars.

BTW, I ride a bicycle!

But if governments and politicians are also a part of the system designed to maintain the status quo that benefits the elite for as long as possible, should we even be voting for these enablers and colluders?