MikeH

New interview with Williams and Anne-Sophie

---I'm a little concerned that the younger generation of composers...---started Williams.

Mutter chimed in with a laugh:

---...that things are getting a little small-chested.

---Well, it depends on how they're getting educated. But I think there will be great ones—I want to believe that. (...) There's a dystopian view of the practice as well: You can say, 'Oh my God, nobody can write a scale in Hollywood anymore — they're all no good'. That also could happen. Civilization is, you know, wafer thin, to quote Churchill. It's one generation, and it's gone. So when people pass away, they take with them all of their knowledge and all of their experiences.

But he also said:

"What I feel convinced about is, if we could come back in 50 years, when younger composers who will come along and use some electronics, some this or that, some orchestra-spatial thing — as the reception of film, and the cinemas themselves become more user-friendly in terms of sonic impression and spatial effects and so on — that some of the greatest music will be written for film".

//Interesting. Nice to finally read his views on the state of modern cinema scoring.//

Nice interview. I so desperately wish there was an interviewer who further investigated the specifics of his early years, since he clearly remembers a lot -- rather than just go into more general areas or well-known areas.

Although he was a bit off on the "We've only done film music for 80 years" comment, of course. 

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He probably meant that he's only done film music for 80 years.

He, he...well, that's closer to the truth; some 66-67 years.

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

True, but original film music had existed for more than two decades prior.

Williams counts the stable, communicating, competitive tradition "the we" from those days onward. I do have my favourites earlier, but they were not really in circulation at the time and were not influencing other composers.

54 minutes ago, Thor said:

True, but original film music had existed for three decades prior.

That’s correct, but I think JW refers specifically to the artform as intended by the synchronisation of original music specially written to picture for a sound film, i.e. from 1933 onwards.

45 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

That’s correct, but I think JW refers specifically to the artform as intended by the synchronisation of original music specially written to picture for a sound film, i.e. from 1933 onwards.

Yes, hopefully that's what he means. Of course, there are examples of that type of music prior to KING KONG, post-JAZZ SINGER, even in the US, although far more marginal. I just get my "knickers in a twist" every time someone sorta says originally composed film music began with that film or that year. Those statements mostly come from Americans.