The Infamous Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition

Jar Jar

This album has a terrible reputation, yes, but I for one am very glad we got this. There are many unreleased cues included here that were missing from the OST album. 

That said, this is not the definite complete version, not by a long shot. We're still waiting for it. 

I learned about this release shortly after I found the unreleased score album for Back To The Future on Napster (remember that? LOL).  I was thrilled and my parents was able to get it for me.  I'll be honest back then I really loved it and listened to it A LOT.  I did NOT care about the clunky edits and such back then, after all I was young and dumb.

But yes as others have said it's because it's practically an isolated score.  Clunky edits, looped material...no unused music at all and as someone else posted that Sony said it was EVERY note recorded for the film but it was not.

If you're good at editing music listening to an intended complete edit is so much better than this clunky thing. It's coarse, it's rough and it gets everywhere.

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I found out about it from an ad in the Star Wars Insider. Then I got it at Borders.

I got mine from Borders too.

I was very grateful for this release and I still am. What a treat to get some great music left off the OST such as "Anakin Wins." I never really understood the complaints about the presentation. Most of us do our own edits anyways. Thanks to all the complaining, we never got AOTC or ROTS and it still makes me sad that I have to rely on the bootlegs to hear some of John's greatest Star Wars music. My only complaint is that it doesn't sound as good as the OST.

OST, because after how great listening to the HP set was after months of abstinence, I deleted all my expanded bootleg everything SW and Indy playlists, only kept the SW demasters (Indy OSTs are no good at all) so the eventual complete sets will be all the more sweet. It's frustrating because TPM is one of Johnny's most rewarding complete listens and one of his worst most choppy OSTs.

2 hours ago, Darth Porkins said:

I was very grateful for this release and I still am. What a treat to get some great music left off the OST such as "Anakin Wins." I never really understood the complaints about the presentation. Most of us do our own edits anyways. Thanks to all the complaining, we never got AOTC or ROTS and it still makes me sad that I have to rely on the bootlegs to hear some of John's greatest Star Wars music. My only complaint is that it doesn't sound as good as the OST.

Do we know that complaining JW fans are responsible for the absence of any AOTC or ROTS expansions?

3 hours ago, Darth Porkins said:

I never really understood the complaints about the presentation. Most of us do our own edits anyways.

Switching out a cue with an alternate, or joining a few tracks one personally likes better together than apart in an already close to intended program that provides everything is a little bit different than having to make mockups or scavenge through video game music files and DVD menus for 20 years to be able to approximate the composer's much better actual vision because the supposed "ultimate" release is missing a not insignificant amount of it and doesn't have any clean endings or openings to allow for the easy restoration of the replaced or misplaced and edited cues. Do it properly if you have the chance or fuck off. AotC and RotS are even worse I think.

I enjoyed this album and still have it. It's not ideal and I much prefer something like the RCA edition but it included many of the tracks that I missed when listening to the first album. 

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Do we know that complaining JW fans are responsible for the absence of any AOTC or ROTS expansions?

I think its probably down to poor sales, the bottom line drives everything. Whether a properly handled C&C release would have impacted sales positively, who knows.

23 hours ago, Holko said:

Thor, why the hell do you feel the need to stick your nose into matters you know and say you have no idea about and will never actually care about?

Thor has as much right to contribute in any thread on this forum as you have. If you have a problem with his post please address the specific issue rather than the fact that he made a post.

Thank you. 

23 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Thor has as much right to contribute in any thread on this forum as you have. If you have a problem with his post please address the specific issue rather than the fact that he made a post.

Thank you. 

Thor may have that right, but he provides as much value in an expanded soundtrack thread as you provide in a video game thread or I in a James Bond thread. And Holko has the right to comment on said lack of value. 

I love this album.  My only complaint is the breaking up of so many cues into really short tracks.  If it was put together like the SW Special Editions it would be perfect.

On 8/28/2019 at 4:05 AM, JTWfan77 said:

My biggest gripe is that we never got UEs of AotC and RotS. As flawed as this UE may be, at least we got a good chunk of music unavailable on the OST. Who knows how long we will have to wait for expanded releases of the prequels. This year marking the 20th anniversary of TPM seemed to be the ideal opportunity, yet we got nothing. Perhaps after TRoS? Who knows.

Maybe we'll get expanded sets for the Prequels as promotion for "Rise of Skywalker". It's a bit of a stretch, but maybe.

I'm more worried there will be a Star Wars "burnout" after The Rise of Skywalker where any chance to release the expanded prequel scores would be squandered by poor sales, and that the 2018 remasters didn't help either. A similar phenomenon occurred with The Lord of the Rings until the new renaissance of material (merchandise, books, media etc.) had been resurrected by both the Hobbit trilogy, and the upcoming advent of the TV series. I think the best time to have released expanded sets of the Star Wars prequel scores would've been following the success of The Force Awakens back in 2015/16, when Star Wars had well and truly returned...

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

A similar phenomenon occurred with The Lord of the Rings until the new renaissance of material

You mean like the CRs coming out a couple years after the movies were done, that sold well enough that they got reprinted 10 years later when even the Hobbit hype died down already?

24 minutes ago, Holko said:

You mean like the CRs coming out a couple years after the movies were done, that sold well enough that they got reprinted 10 years later when even the Hobbit hype died down already?

As we know, though, that was a long fought war of attrition and wasn't guaranteed a reprint. Ten years wait for a reprint doesn't scream success.

The Ultimate Edition was indeed  a god-sent when it came out (considering I think the OST album isn't the best representation of the score as a whole) but wasn't up to the standards (even back then) of what we were accustomed to with a complete score release.

All this talk about the UE spurred me to give it a spin for the first time in a very long time. And two tracks jumped out at me— Street Band of Mos Espa, and Desert Winds. What do people think about them? These percussive and alien-folksy tracks are quite fun but sound nothing like Star Wars. They seem diegetic but I don’t know what scenes they play in. Do we count them in the same category as Cantina Band and Canto Bight?

It's true that Joseph Williams has collaborated with his father in some other contexts, but TPM was all John, including the Tatooine source music that plays in the background of several Most Espa scenes. There are three of those cues - one is presented twice on the UE, once with all instruments and once without the recorders. The reports that Joseph wrote these turned out to be incorrect.

I was happy to have that french horn statement when Maul retracts his saber.  That was one of the main things I wanted after seeing the film.  It had lots of problems, but man the sound quality cracks on that release.  

Probably just edit points from all the microedits. :P

1 hour ago, Datameister said:

The reports that Joseph wrote these turned out to be incorrect.

Interesting. What about Dex's Diner from AOTC?

I guess the closest thing to source music in ROTS would be that semi-diegetic music in the opera sequence, which Williams clearly wrote.

56 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The first release I got was riddled with loud skips... did anyone else have that problem with their UE CD's? I saw a couple people in the Amazon reviews saying the same thing.

I heard some units succumbed to CD rot.

53 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Interesting. What about Dex's Diner from AOTC?:P

I don't remember if we know definitely, but I think the consensus is that it was probably Joseph? Not as sure about that one as with TPM.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The first release I got was riddled with loud skips... did anyone else have that problem with their UE CD's? I saw a couple people in the Amazon reviews saying the same thing.

The two copies I had (I rebought it again years later) had no errors.

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Probably just edit points from all the microedits. :P

Interesting. What about Dex's Diner from AOTC?

I guess the closest thing to source music in ROTS would be that semi-diegetic music in the opera sequence, which Williams clearly wrote.

Dex's Diner was indeed by Joseph. The deigetic cue in ROTS was NOT by Williams. It was from stock music that Ben Burtt had. Part of it was also used in AOTC, although it's almost unhearable.

6 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

I heard some units succumbed to CD rot.

My CD was brand new when I bought it (around when it came out). The result is still the same to this day; the skipping hasn't gotten any worse. I have replaced my original album though and no longer have any issues.

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Dex's Diner was indeed by Joseph. The deigetic cue in ROTS was NOT by Williams. It was from stock music that Ben Burtt had. Part of it was also used in AOTC, although it's almost unhearable.

I think you two might be referring to different pieces, crumbs seems to be talking about the main cue heard during the opera scene, not the short snippet that's heard while Anakin is entering the opera house.

24 minutes ago, DominicCobb said:

I think you two might be referring to different pieces, crumbs seems to be talking about the main cue heard during the opera scene, not the short snippet that's heard while Anakin is entering the opera house.

Ah okay. My bad. Yes, that was of course by John.

Which would be 3m3 Palpatine's TV Set and 3m4 Palpatine's Big Pitch. Which covers the entire Opera scene and when Palpatine talks to Anakin about Darth Plagueis and other stuff.

3m3 Palpatine's TV set is on the OST track 6 0:00-1:37.  3m4 Palpatine's Big Pitch is only available through the games, although not all of 3m4 is there a segment towards the end has to be made with mockups.