Great Pinches

SteveMc

In screenwriting lingo, a pinch, or pinch point, is a moment in the second act where we are reminded of who the antagonist is, what the conflicts are, what's at stake.  

What are some of your favorite examples?

A couple of very effective ones for me are the scene in Ferris Bueller's Day Off where the camera moves towards Jeanie as we hear her thoughts about Ferris, and the scene where Mathilda returns to her old home and sees the outline of her brother's body on the floor in Leon:The Professional.  

9 hours ago, Richard said:

@SteveMc, are you saying that Ferris is the antagonist? I always thought that it was Ed Rooney.

Rooney turns out to be the main antagonist, but Jeanie (I presume that's who you mean?) is definitely an antagonistic force as well.  What makes that scene so effective for me is that it introduces us to some doubts she has about her hatred for Ferris, which set precedent for how her arc turns out.  

Henry Jones, Sr. reminded us best in the second half of Last Crusade. 

The quest for the Grail is not archaeology; it's a race against evil! If it is captured by the Nazis, the armies of darkness will march all over the face of the Earth! Do you understand me?