Sign in to follow this  
rough cut

Movies you should see but probably didn’t

42 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I'm probably one of the few people here who didn't watch Scorsese's Silence (2016). Somehow it's never been on my radar.

Rather overrated, IMO.

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I'm probably one of the few people here who didn't watch Scorsese's Silence (2016). Somehow it's never been on my radar.

It might be my favourite Scorsese of the last couple of ones. 

On 9/5/2019 at 3:15 PM, Thor said:

I know I'm completely outside the whole JWFAN lingo and humour, but whazzap with spamming the board with all the "jokey" spin-off threads? 

Annoying.

It’s a bit much...

Movies you’ve seen and you’re happy you’ve seen em

Movies you flicked off after five minutes

Movies that were made to be seen and so you saw them, while being seen seeing them.

There’s nothing I “should see”. If I haven’t seen it there’s probably a good reason.

If people ask me for recommendations I’ll give them some films. But if you don’t want to see a film, why waste your time when you could see something you really want to watch, or read a good book?

THE DESCENT is brilliant (also don't miss the other cave move that came out around the same time, simply named THE CAVE, but THE DESCENT is better). PRIEST held up surprisingly well after my second viewing a couple of years ago. I've yet to see THEY, but I'm currently trying to fill my Wes Craven 'holes'. In that vein, and keeping up wih the 'underrated genre fare', I could easily recommend RED EYE, which I've had on DVD forever -- the storyline is formulaic, but Craven adds his unique sense of unease and elegance to the material.

15 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

As At Eternity's Gate, one of few movies that cannot be overrated - factually impossible.

I'm not sure about 'rating' or not (it think it received mixed reviews), but that was another huge disappointment to me. Well, I didn't have a lot of expectations after my colleagues came back with a lukewarm response. I went in with an open mind, but it's currently sitting at a 75th place (out of 89 films from 2019 seen so far). 2 out of 5 stars on MUBI.

You're weird.

Just now, The Illustrious Jerry said:

AT ETERNITY'S GATE was a deftly crafted masterpiece, one of few films that can be classified as a successfully moving display of impressionist art. Probably the best film of last year.

Yes.

13 hours ago, Thor said:

THE DESCENT is brilliant /- - -/ PRIEST held up surprisingly well / - - -/ I've yet to see THEY / - - -/  I could easily recommend RED EYE

I think we have the same take on The Descent and Priest.

Red Eye is also enjoyable, I remember liking it.

Polls of critics favorites is one of the best ways to go for this thread question. Polls are better than ratings since it's the same method we come to know the most agreed-on best composers. So the same goes with the most agreed-on best movies. Some films I'd like to watch, many I've seen:

21st century: http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20160819-the-21st-centurys-100-greatest-films

All-time: http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20150720-the-100-greatest-american-films

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I don't think I ever saw a French Nouvelle Vague movie, though I like some Delerue scores composed for them. Should I watch them?

Yes, absolutely! But if you're not accustomed to alternative filmmaking, I suggest starting with Truffaut -- who's more accesible; and there are the Delerue scores you like -- or, say, Agnes Varda, and then work your way towards Godard or Resnais on the other side. Although "pre-political* Godard is also fairly accesible, like the beautiful UNE FEMME EST UNE FEMME. Skip Rohmer if you don't care for dialogue-heavy material.