Movies you saw Part 2 first

Unlucky Bastard

43 minutes ago, Thor said:

Mel Gibson is great, both as actor and director.

Agreed, I am glad to see that it is becoming ok again "around town" to support him as I always have.  As far as Hollywooders with issues go I think he is very low on the list of those in need of icing out.

Meh. Couldn't stand Hacksaw Ridge

But I do think Gibson is talented, and doesn't need more Hollywood shunning.

There’s hard proof of abusive and bigoted behavior from Gibson. Hard proof - that much is undebatable.  I know a “boycott” is meaningless because neither he nor Hollywood financiers care what I do or don’t watch.  I don’t watch him in movies because he makes my fucking stomach turn.

Maybe I'm monstrous and unfeeling but his brand of drink fueled controversy doesn't faze me much.  I know the adages about alcohol/truth but it's a case where I'm wiling to take the sum of a person's positive demeanor and actions over the rest.  I don't apply that leniency to the consistently vicious, abusive, exploitative, predatory, of which there are too many examples, even just those I've seen firsthand, to summon more than a finger wag out of me towards Mel's mean drunk moments.

2 hours ago, Dixon Hill said:

Maybe I'm monstrous and unfeeling but his brand of drink fueled controversy doesn't faze me much.  I know the adages about alcohol/truth but it's a case where I'm wiling to take the sum of a person's positive demeanor and actions over the rest.  I don't apply that leniency to the consistently vicious, abusive, exploitative, predatory, of which there are too many examples, even just those I've seen firsthand, to summon more than a finger wag out of me towards Mel's mean drunk moments.

Of which the science on that is mixed.

https://anaheimlighthouse.com/blog/do-people-actually-tell-the-truth-when-drunk/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bigthink.com/does-alcohol-reveal-the-real-you.amp.html

Without having read the scientific findings, I would say that alcohol makes a person more uninhibited. It might enable the introverted to be more open and therefore people think they are seeing the real person. 

Only one of my very favourite directors. Even as an Israeli Jew, I couldn’t be bothered to let his antisemitism hinder my enjoyment of his art anymore than I do Wagner’s.

I mean, talk about ambition in filmmaking! To, in your second directorial outing, tackle an epic (a genre deceased for three decades at the time), shot on treacherous locations and with unrelenting violence, and present it as a summer blockbuster. And to then have that film - and the films that followed - be a work of such passion and conviction. 

A friend of mine once said that he found the finale of The Dark Knight un-suspenseful because: “at no point did I think Christopher Nolan was going to end a summer blockbuster with a seven year-old getting shot through the head.” The same could not be said of Braveheart, or any other of Gibson’s films, really.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Only one of my very favourite directors. Even as an Israeli Jew, I couldn’t be bothered to let his antisemitism hinder my enjoyment of his art anymore than I do Wagner’s.

I mean, talk about ambition in filmmaking! To, in your second directorial outing, tackle an epic (a genre deceased for three decades at the time), shot on treacherous locations and with unrelenting violence, and present it as a summer blockbuster. And to then have that film - and the films that followed - be a work of such passion and conviction. 

A friend of mine once said that he found the finale of The Dark Knight un-suspenseful because: “at no point did I think Christopher Nolan was going to end a summer blockbuster with a seven year-old getting shot through the head.” The same could not be said of Braveheart, or any other of Gibson’s films, really.

This!