James Cameron's The Abyss

karelm

Fans of The Abyss?  I thought this was an interesting and informative look back at an enjoyable film.

I had no idea the liquid breathing was actually possible and the rat scenes showed rats really breathing liquid.  Quite a fascinating look back at a forgotten film that might be worth a second look.  I remember it in theaters being very captivating and thrilling so not sure why it isn't better loved. 

One of the most important films and scores of my life. I've written two articles, one on the film and one on the score, that elaborate a bit. The latter just a month ago, as a celebration of its 30th anniversary. Both in Norwegian (Google Translate required):

Film: https://montages.no/2011/12/the-abyss-1989/

Soundtrack: http://celluloidtunes.no/the-abyss-alan-silvestri/

THE ABYSS is one of three scores for which I credit my interest in film music and soundtracks. A cornerstone.

Far from forgotten. We're screaming out for this to be released on 4K. The scene with the rat breathing the liquid were actually removed from the British release. Too many softies over there.

14 minutes ago, Dean1700 said:

Far from forgotten. We're screaming out for this to be released on 4K. The scene with the rat breathing the liquid were actually removed from the British release. Too many softies over there.

There is a Blu-Ray and 4K transfer that are waiting for James' approval. But since he's busy with those Avatar sequels, highly unlikely we'll ever see it.

On 9/8/2019 at 7:55 PM, Thor said:

THE ABYSS is one of three scores for which I credit my interest in film music and soundtracks. A cornerstone.

It's the only Silvestri score I actually like and own.  In my opinion I think it's his magnum opus.  The movies would have been a great venture for James Horner had it not been for the severe difficulties he and Cameron had on Aliens.

On 9/10/2019 at 11:15 AM, Dean1700 said:

The scene with the rat breathing the liquid were actually removed from the British release. 

It was included when the TV premiered on Channel 4, in January, 1993. It's never been in any televised version, in Britain, since.

The YouTube clip, above, is a truncated version of the hour-long documentary, as an extra, in the SE DVD.

I would commit genocide for a 4K version of this film.

On 9/10/2019 at 11:50 PM, Thor said:

I would wholeheartedly agree!

In either version, it's an absolutely beautiful film. It's Cameron's best, and Silvestri's equal best.

On 9/10/2019 at 3:15 AM, Dean1700 said:

This from the same guys who burned down a church filled with women and children and locked people below decks while Titanic was sinking?