The Book Thief vs. The BFG vs. The Post - The "middling" JW scores from the last few years!

Josh500

I was totally surprised by THE POST. It's not usually a type of film I like (lots of phone calls and paperwork and investigations), but Spielberg made it all come alive in such a playful manner, it was a total delight, and easily my favourite film last year. Williams' propulsive score, beautifully spotted, is one of the key elements in that experience.

Can't say the same for THE BFG and THE BOOK THIEF. In one ear, out the other.

2 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

THE POST was a terrific movie! Understandably far from Spielberg's best, and yet just as far from his worst. The crazy thing to me about it is that people can say, "Oh, it wasn't all that great. Mediocre showing on Steven's part", and yet it's still a better film than 95% of directors will ever make.

What made it terrific for you?

3 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm not a big fan of the STAR WARS sequel scores, overall, despite one or two fine tracks.

My colleague Nils at Celluloid Tunes elaborates on the greatness of THE POST here, with views that I share (in Norwegian, use Google Translate if interested): http://celluloidtunes.no/the-post-john-williams/

Thanks. Agree with everything written there, but I don’t see why that makes it so great *in comparison* to his other post-2005 output. This is a bit off-topic, but I remember you saying in another thread that you listened to TLJ just 2 or 3 times - is it really enough to form such a strong opinion on it? For me, the score has been on repeat for the past 1,5 years and I still can’t get enough of it. The OST album is not an ideal presentation, I will admit that.

16 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

What made it terrific for you?

Maybe terrific is a little much, depending on one's definition of the word, but my point is it was a fine film and much better than most shrug it off to be. I felt inclined enough to write the review above, if it's any indication.

47 minutes ago, Remco said:

Thanks. Agree with everything written there, but I don’t see why that makes it so great *in comparison* to his other post-2005 output. This is a bit off-topic, but I remember you saying in another thread that you listened to TLJ just 2 or 3 times - is it really enough to form such a strong opinion on it?

I think it is, yes. But I think you have the very reason there, i.e. the number of times I've played it reflect my feelings on the score. Of course I do intend to revisit it many times in the future, just as I do any other JW score I don't particularly like.

1 hour ago, Remco said:

Thanks. Agree with everything written there, but I don’t see why that makes it so great *in comparison* to his other post-2005 output. This is a bit off-topic, but I remember you saying in another thread that you listened to TLJ just 2 or 3 times - is it really enough to form such a strong opinion on it? For me, the score has been on repeat for the past 1,5 years and I still can’t get enough of it. The OST album is not an ideal presentation, I will admit that.

I like you!! 

7 hours ago, Josh500 said:

I've always loved this track from "The Book Thief"! It's a perfect example of JW's mastery at musically telling a story... This cue starts out sounding uncertain, sad, melacholic, and generally negative (a bit reminiscent of A.I.!), but halfway through (at 0:43) it changes suddenly and dramatically to sounding bright, hopeful, joyful, and generally positive. Another one of JW's brilliant moments! I remember being very impressed by this when I heard it for the first time... 

This score is full those high lights. Wonderful score. Top 3 JW in my book(hopefully not to be stolen🤦‍♂️

10 hours ago, hornist said:

This score is full those high lights. Wonderful score. Top 3 JW in my book(hopefully not to be stolen🤦‍♂️

Top 3 out of all JW's output? Seriously? 

Not just this score, but the majority of JW's scores are full of these brilliant moments, aren't they? :)

I understand why these three scores are put together in this thread - they are indeed all dispensable.

Scores:

1. The Book Thief ***
  2. The Post ***
  3. The BFG **

Movies:

1. The BFG ***
  2. The Post ***
  3. The Book Thief **

Nothing special there.

I don't like the word "dispensable" because I'm still glad JW scored these movies the way he did, but yeah. It's my opinion that these aren't exactly JW's Top 10 (or even Top 30) scores. He's simply written too many masterpieces that are superior to these. 

35 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I don't like the word "dispensable" because I'm still glad JW scored these movies the way he did, but yeah. It's my opinion that these aren't exactly JW's Top 10 (or even Top 30) scores. He's simply written too many masterpieces that are superior to these. 

Well, if you throw around your 'masterpieces', give us the 'dispensables'

11 minutes ago, publicist said:

Well, you can have your dispensables, sure. :) I just said that I personally don't like that word. Coz how can a score be "dispensable" ? It's not like the others are "indispensable." Anybody can do without a film score. 

However, I do consider scores like E.T., Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Jurassic Park, A.I., War Horse, etc. to be definite masterpieces! 

Regarding BSG - I'm not all that familiar with the BSG suite. What was dropped for the later version? I've just read that one of the themes was dropped, but which one, and where does it appear on the OST?

The Post is a masterful little score. Absolutely perfect for the film it was composed.

It works like gangbusters in the film.

All 3 are good scores. I'd go like this

Scores

1. The Post

2. The BFG

3. The Book Thief

Movie

1. The Post

2. The BFG

Not seen - The Book Thief

The Book Thief while beautiful never actually gripped. Though the piano performances are beautiful specially the Finale.

23 hours ago, Dixon Hill said:

Spielberg's craft is rarely in doubt but Christ he is a drag and a half in these recent heavy American tales.  Lincoln was all he needed to say. 

They're a bit repetitive in the context of Spielberg's filmography but they have a sense of earnest optimism that I find refreshing in contrast to the oppressive nihilism/cynicism of today's prestige films (so many Kubrick/Fincher wannabes).   

In my opinion, the main theme of BFG is one of the happiest, sweetest, most classic melodies JW has written since the '80s.  The rest of the score suffers from a lot of the flaws described here, but that main theme, in a better movie, with a slightly prouder and more bombastic concert suite, would be top-drawer JW.  As it is, I kept waiting for the music to hit a real crescendo in the film and it never quite came.  Honestly, I'll bet Williams was thinking the same thing about the film itself when he scored it.

For the record, I think parts of BFG are absolutely charming, and Mark Rylance is worth the price of admission.  I just wish I could have seen the version they would have made 30 years ago.

Book Thief is awesome for what it is, similarities to AA notwithstanding, and the ending has brought me to tears every time I've watched it, thanks in part to the score.

Haven't seen The Post.  Love "The Presses Roll."  Waiting for a good used CD deal so I can get that album-only finale track, which I also like. B-)

12 hours ago, pete said:

Regarding BSG - I'm not all that familiar with the BSG suite. What was dropped for the later version? I've just read that one of the themes was dropped, but which one, and where does it appear on the OST?

4 hours ago, igger6 said:

Haven't seen The Post.  Love "The Presses Roll."  Waiting for a good used CD deal so I can get that album-only finale track, which I also like. B-)

You know, the audio CD costs under 10 bucks! You won't get a better deal! 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077HP1DVD/ref=tmm_fbs_acd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1568098097&sr=8-1

The Book Thief is by far the finest score and album out of the three. The music itself is not exactly most novel among Williams' achievements but neither are the other two. But unlike many, arguably stronger, Williams drama scores it has a very strong and listenable album programme which is particularly delicious around this time of the year (and tastes even better in November).

The BFG comes second. I didn't like it when it first came out but after watching the film it has grown on me considerably. The album is a great representation of the score as well.

The Post is...fine. But I can't really recall much of it. I have yet to watch the film.

Karol

Hmm, I knew there was a Ronald Reagan reference in this movie, but that sounds more like Sophie Meets Lincoln...

I like The BFG. It's a nice looking film and wonderfull scored. Spielberg's use of CGI is quite underrated - between this and Tintin he really nails the sense of scale and gravity that is possible with CGI technology. Too many animated films feel weightless and artificial. They're the kind of films that would be critically lauded if there was any other name attached to the film.

My kids loved the BFG, and kids their age are the intended audience anyway.  The farting scene elicited extreme laughter--partly, I think, because it is a joke that is actually earned, which is rare in most kid/Pixar-type movies these days. 

2 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I flicked it off after 5 minutes.

I actually bought the DVD, and I made it all the way to the 10-minute mark, I think... 

I've never tried watching it again. 

On 9/9/2019 at 2:33 PM, Josh500 said:

He's simply written too many masterpieces that are superior to these. 

On 9/9/2019 at 3:09 PM, publicist said:

There are only 14 John Williams scores that I would even dare to call masterpieces (and 18 Jerry Goldsmith scores) - this is supposed to be a sacred word, at least in my book, that must be used so sparingly that the reaction when using it is: "A masterpieces, really? You usually never say that!"

43 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

There are only 14 John Williams scores that I would even dare to call masterpieces (and 18 Jerry Goldsmith scores) - this is supposed to be a sacred word, at least in my book, that must be used so sparingly that the reaction when using it is: "A masterpieces, really? You usually never say that!"

Yeah, that's you. 

I have a different opinion, and I count at least 20 JW masterpieces, possibly more. (And only around 10 JG masterpieces, if that.)

On 9/7/2019 at 8:22 PM, MrScratch said:

BFG, it's solidly mediocre and listenable.  The other two don't do anything for me.

Similar to this. I find BFH serviceable but unremarkable. The other two barely blipped on my radar.