New performance of "The Mission Theme" from NBC News

zoltan_902

14 minutes ago, Arpy said:

The energy in that Lost World performance was amazing, although I thought the conductor was having an imaginary duel with ghosts.

He looks like a dark wizard casting curses into the orchestra

5 hours ago, pete said:

Nice. That's the newer version Williams conducted in 1998.

It's just as new as Matthew Broderick's Godzilla and Posh Spice and David Beckham's engagement.

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Even better, The Lost World:

This piece is so much damn fun at this fast tempo! I cannot believe Williams omitted this from the last Spielberg album, it's absolutely brilliant :(

Check out the poor flutists at around 2:01, that's some amazingly tough finger work they're accomplishing. Bravo musicians!

It's interesting how this revision of the opening seems like a hybrid of the two alternate openings he recorded in the sessions. Seems like he had an itch with this theme and just wanted to keep tinkering. This concert arrangement is easily be my favourite of the theme's three versions, overall.

Williams probably just wrote the theme for his brother as a practical joke. :P

I have to say, having never seen or heard of this orchestra, I'm very impressed with their playing of Williams music. They've clearly performed heaps of his work in concerts, even better to see they have HD videos of said performances. Looks like they did a Star Wars concert a few years back and even performed the original HS&TP concert arrangement. Was hoping it would be the new version but alas:

Heck I feel bad not having promoted these concerts more...being a little on the "show" side..I thought people would dismiss it as a lesser orchestra....:blush:

They usually make CDs of each tour, to sell in the next tour. I hope to get the Williams one this year.... :)

The rougher sound, especially drier percussion and more booming brass, together with a faster tempo and stronger timpani presence, made the great piece even greater in my view. One can feel the primal roughness of the descent into wilderness it portrays. The wizard in charge did very well.

15 hours ago, King Mark said:

oooh finally a great performance of TLW revised concert version

gotta save this

Finally?  Have you not heard Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops outstanding recording of the concert version?

-Erik-

11 hours ago, crumbs said:

Williams probably just wrote the theme for his brother as a practical joke. :P

I have to say, having never seen or heard of this orchestra, I'm very impressed with their playing of Williams music. They've clearly performed heaps of his work in concerts, even better to see they have HD videos of said performances. Looks like they did a Star Wars concert a few years back and even performed the original HS&TP concert arrangement. Was hoping it would be the new version but alas:

Bravo!  So glad they performed the vastly superior original version.

-Erik-

1 hour ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

You mean the too fast version? ;)

I have no issues with the conducting.  Kunzel took Spacecamp at a faster tempo and everyone loves that.  At least it's not slower.  

-Erik-

9 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Heck I feel bad not having promoted these concerts more...being a little on the "show" side..I thought people would dismiss it as a lesser orchestra....:blush:

I'm late myself to reading this thread, but am thrilled you let us know about this ensemble! Like others here have said, they have a great energy and bombast and no shortage of skill.

I rather like their version of the Flag Parade. It's given an expanded treatment here, over three minutes long! Anyone know if this is a JW-written concert version or an adaptation by the conductor Martinez-Orts?

I have to think something as fun as this, were it written by JW, would have featured in another concert or album by now. So my guess is that its an FSO exclusive.

2 hours ago, Erik Woods said:

I have no issues with the conducting.  Kunzel took Spacecamp at a faster tempo and everyone loves that.  At least it's not slower.  

-Erik-

I don't like the Kunzel version .Sounds weak

3 hours ago, Erik Woods said:

Bravo!  So glad they performed the vastly superior original version.

-Erik-

yeah but we still don't have a great recording of the new version

The Flag Parade was part of the Episode One concert suite arranged by JW. It was recorded for a Varese album called The Phantom Menace and Other Hits.

7 minutes ago, King Mark said:

ShallowEnragedGoldfinch-size_restricted.gif

5 minutes ago, King Mark said:

yeah but we still don't have a great recording of the new version

Weak it is not.  The recording and performance is utterly brilliant.

We don't have a great recording of the original Han and Leia?  If you have the Gerhardt's Empire recording then you have a great recording of that suite.

-Erik-

this new performance of TLW is very close to the one Williams conducted in 1998 

2 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

Weak it is not.  The recording and performance is utterly brilliant.

We don't have a great recording of the original Han and Leia?  If you have the Gerhardt's Empire recording then you have a great recording of that suite.

-Erik-

yes, I have it on that c.d. and some others (Prague,Roy Budd)...but we don't have the revised version in great quality yet

3 minutes ago, King Mark said:

this new performance of TLW is very close to the one Williams conducted in 1998 

yes, I have it on that c.d. and some others (Prague,Roy Budd)...but we don't have the revised version in great quality yet

Who says the Williams version is the right one?  Any condutor can interpret the piece however they want.  Kunzel did a brilliant job!

As for Han and Leia... yeah, I don't need the new version because it's the pits compared to the original.

-Erik-

1 hour ago, Bayesian said:

I'm late myself to reading this thread, but am thrilled you let us know about this ensemble! Like others here have said, they have a great energy and bombast and no shortage of skill.

I rather like their version of the Flag Parade. It's given an expanded treatment here, over three minutes long! Anyone know if this is a JW-written concert version or an adaptation by the conductor Martinez-Orts?

I have to think something as fun as this, were it written by JW, would have featured in another concert or album by now. So my guess is that its an FSO exclusive.

I'm pretty sure this is the concert version that many have performed since 1999.  We even have a few recordings of it via Varese, Telarc and Silva.

-Erik-

On 9/14/2019 at 6:41 PM, Tom said:

Cool. Summon the Heroes came up next, which was a very good performance--not too sure about the comatose audience members, particularly in the last two minutes.  

I don't like the section from 3:50 to 4:26. It's kind of hasty and messy(and it's so powerful, the best part for me but from the original version. It starts at 3:42

15 hours ago, Erik Woods said:

I'm pretty sure this is the concert version that many have performed since 1999.  We even have a few recordings of it via Varese, Telarc and Silva.

I had no idea! Which Varies, Silva and Telarc albums are these? I'd like to check them out.