Battle at Big Rock (2019 JURASSIC PARK short, music by Amie Doherty)

Thor

So this is out:

It's basically a "take" on the first part of the trailer sequence in THE LOST WORLD, taking place one year after the events of FALLEN KINGDOM. Not bad, but very rushed. I've always considered Trevorrow a hack of a director, but this was fairly OK for him, I think.

I'm unfamiliar with Amie Doherty. There's a little bit of original score, and several references to JW's two JP scores, but again -- there's never enough room or space for the music to breathe, and the references are over before they're introduced, almost. Plus it's mixed very low.

A year after Fallen Kingdom? The military would've destroyed those Dinosaurs in a month, not to mention the armed citizens who would've taken a few down! 

I liked it. Captured the spirit of the original movies better. The key to Jurassic Park is that the characters can't fight dinosaurs and can only hide or escape. In the book they had a small armory, but the only hunter present was Muldoon, and he couldn't do everything on his own.

The problem is not that humans have weapons, but that there are so many humans with weapons and that the dinosaur attacks happen on human territory, instead of a terrain where the beasts are at home. Let InGen create a disease which by accident kills of most off humanity, and leave survivors in a world full of dinosaurs. The Walking... Dinosaurs.

I recently randomly came across this story I had forgotten about - ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’ Director Colin Trevorrow Asked Rian Johnson to Shoot an Extra Scene For Him - and Rian Johnson did.  I wonder if JJ used that footage or scrapped it - and what the footage was?

Wasn't most of the Luke island stuff just filmed along some coastline in Scotland anyway? They only did one day on the actual island and faked the rest on the mainland or backlot recreations (like the Ancient Jedi tree).

I doubt it was anything substantial. If it was, Trev would've insisted on directing it. Doubt it'll see the light of day either way.

6 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

I liked it. Captured the spirit of the original movies better. The key to Jurassic Park is that the characters can't fight dinosaurs and can only hide or escape. In the book they had a small armory, but the only hunter present was Muldoon, and he couldn't do everything on his own.

The problem is not that humans have weapons, but that there are so many humans with weapons and that the dinosaur attacks happen on human territory, instead of a terrain where the beasts are at home. Let InGen create a disease which by accident kills of most off humanity, and leave survivors in a world full of dinosaurs. The Walking... Dinosaurs.

Well, you're kinda on to something. I'm not thrilled with the direction WORLD has taken, with big corporations and military warfare or even that 'haunted house' bit in FALLEN KINGDOM. I wish they had taken it back to basics -- back to the jungle, and about man vs. beast, about survival. As I've said many times, I think a new, fresh take on the material would have been ONE person stuck in the jungle, like the kid in JP3, and creating a story around that. This new short film, although it has a whole family, is more in that vein.

As much as I like the new Jurassic jamborees, I don’t understand this modern practice of hiring folks to compose, orchestrate, conduct and record an original music score, only to then bury it under sound effects to a point where the general audience hardly notices the music’s presence. Is it to encourage folks to buy the album so they can make out what the music is like? 

Sadly, this is very common on Hollywood, to bury the music beneath the sound effects. 

I know many people here don't like MCU movies and its scores, but since a few years ago their music (be it good or bad) have a nice mix on the sound effects. Even during the superhero battle scenes you can actually hear details of the score. For example, in Endgame, during the Portals scene, it's possible to hear even the choir when the giant Ant Man rises from the destroyed Avengers building. And, considering this is the biggest movie franchise these days, I think it is very cool that they allow people to hear the scores within the movies.

I just wish other franchises would follow it. Star Wars, after the sad situation involving the first movie, already gave Williams' music more proeminence on The Last Jedi.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Well, you're kinda on to something. I'm not thrilled with the direction WORLD has taken, with big corporations and military warfare or even that 'haunted house' bit in FALLEN KINGDOM. 

The haunted house part was a surprise and became my favourite part of an otherwise crappy film because it was different! The problem is Jurassic Park is a wasted concept - it's been done and can't go any further. Whilst I can hope they recapture the feeling of the first two films, they dropped the ball with Jurassic World.

7 hours ago, Arpy said:

The haunted house part was a surprise and became my favourite part of an otherwise crappy film because it was different! The problem is Jurassic Park is a wasted concept - it's been done and can't go any further.

I think it can, per my previous suggestion. Would be a good way to keep the recipe of what worked in the first three films, while adding a new angle to the material.

3 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I think it's time to put the series to bed. Jurassic World never should've happened.

It should definitely have happened. JP fans like me were STARVING for more stories from this universe. 14 years had gone by without anything (except the Telltale videgame from 2011, but even that was 10 years of waiting). It should simply had had a better director and script. They did get a better director for FALLEN KINGDOM, but by then Trevorrow's damage was already done. There was only so much Bayona could do.

I said what I did with a heavy heart - I'm a huge JP fan too. I did, however, recognise that the universe the stories are set in is so small that there isn't much anyone can do with it without resorting to a soft-reboot. I was thoroughly disappointed with Jurassic World, it felt cheap and superficial and wholly unoriginal, I felt betrayed that Spielberg would have anything to do with it. I'm actually keen on your idea @Thor because it's different from what we've seen thus far, and was a similar thing I was hoping Jurassic World might begin with - not as a third film in a trilogy. For whatever reason, the filmmakers and writers thought they needed to restart everything, when every idea JW and JW:FK present can be explored without needing a soft reboot, without needing another bloody theme park. It doesn't say to me that they thought the theme park was a good starting point, rather that they didn't trust audiences to get behind a Jurassic Park sequel two decades later without needing to ride on nostalgia!

I agree with your sentiments. WORLD is a soft reboot in many ways, and they always tend to annoy me (although better than hard reboots, I guess). I would have LOVED to see a film about the two weeks the kid in JP3 had to survive (much as I would also have loved to see a whole film about Newt's survival in ALIENS). But obviously, that particular kid is old by now, so they would have had to recast. And then it would have been a soft reboot anyways. 

But Trevorrow's general notion that they had to make it BIGGER and more expansive was a mistake, IMO. Quite the contrary, they should have made it smaller. And -- whatever story they told -- at the very least retained the basic balance of 'awe and wonder'/'mood' vs. 'creative, individual action setpieces' which all the first three nurture. WORLD has several of the latter, although infused with unengaging CGI mayhem, but very little of the first. As such, it feels more streamlined, superficial, even GAUDY. It kinda works as a monster flick, but has very little DNA of JURASSIC PARK in it.

The problem is marketability and it always has been; the studios are content with getting by on old IPs for as long as they can and nuanced ideas that would be interesting are eschewed in favour of big, dumb, CG dinosaurs. 

Finally watched this last night

I LOVED the opening logo bit, that was awesome!  I hope they use that for all future JP/JW films

The main short itself was alright, nothing special. I would have preferred if those crossbow hits that scared the dino off was some new characters passing through their campground, setting up a new kind of hunters existing in this world, but alas, it was a lame TLW-ish reveal.

The end credits with a variety of dino sightings was the second best part of the whole thing, those were all great

On 9/16/2019 at 7:30 PM, Kasey Kockroach said:

As much as I like the new Jurassic jamborees, I don’t understand this modern practice of hiring folks to compose, orchestrate, conduct and record an original music score, only to then bury it under sound effects to a point where the general audience hardly notices the music’s presence. Is it to encourage folks to buy the album so they can make out what the music is like? 

Not even your latter point if the music isn't released.

In this case they could've just tracked in a few bits of any of the scores and used some library cuts if they couldn't find what they needed. I suppose it's work for Amie Doherty but it's such a waste of a talent. I have heard of her - she's written a fair amount of music for Audio Network, a UK music library I use.

Jurassic World: Reset (2021) 

Following the all-female hit success of 2016's Ghostbusters: Answer the Call: Universal presents Jurassic World: Reset, slated for release Fall 2021.

Located off the coast of California, the Jurassic World shopping mall provides a habitat for an array of genetically engineered retailers, including the vicious and intelligent Michael Giacchino. When the massive creature escapes, it sets off a chain reaction that causes the other composers to run amok. Now, it's up to a former military woman and animal expert Olivia Grady (Bryce Dallas Howard) to use her special skills to save two young sisters and the rest of the patrons from an all-out, pastiche assault.