Rambo: Last Blood (Brian Tyler)

Thor

Again, couldn't find any previous thread. Feel free to merge if one exists.

So I just saw this. I'm embargoed untill tomorrow at 3PM Pacific Time, so I can't say very much.

I quite liked it, and it's in my top 20 of the year (so far), but it's not on the level of the previous film and its glorious, operatic 'violence fantasy'.

Some other things detract from the experience, like the score. Terrible, even in his arrangements of the Goldsmith quotes. Tyler simply doesn't know how to do dynamics in action sequences; it's a non-stop noisefest with drums going wild. It's strange, because he CAN do it (for example in a beautiful score such as STANDING UP), but somehow he goes completely bonkers in action movies.

I'll chime in later with more specific comments; there's a lot to say. Just wanted to give a first impression, directly after getting home.

And they would be right. Very few positive things to say about it.

But the film is interesting, for better or worse. Would appreciate a bit of discussion in a couple of days, when the film has premiered.

I quite liked the three preview cues Tyler sent over to include in our podcast conversation:
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/1693987-odyssey-interviews-brian-tyler

I mean, obviously not a patch on any of Goldsmith's three scores, but I don't get the hate, and I was glad to hear him incorporate Jerry's action motif. Maybe after I hear the rest of the album I'll agree with you, but based on those first three tracks, I don't.

Yavar

The film has some bizarre musical decisions. There is, in particular, a crucial bit towards the very end (well, kinda after the film has finished) that literally SCREAMED for a rendition of "It's a Long Road", but where they inexplicably opted for generic Tyler action bombast instead.

The only good things I have to say about the score -- after having only heard it once in context, true -- are the references to Goldsmith's sole trumpet Americana (recalling the battle calls of a war long gone). There are a couple of statements of that. But the rest -- shockingly bad.

On 9/17/2019 at 7:28 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Is it so shocking though, considering who's the composer?

Perhaps not. But he has done some nice scores in the past (usually calmer stuff), and I keep giving him the benefit of the doubt.

To expound a bit about one thing I vaguely mentioned earlier: 

Spoiler

The film ends with a montage with scenes from the previous films. It is incomprehensible that they didn't do some variation of "It's a Long Road" here, opting instead for generic, bombastic Tylerisms. Wasn't it supposed to be a moving ending?

I like a few of Tyler's action scores: Eagle Eye, Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, Into the Storm and specially Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (so much fun!). But most of the time I just listen to a few selected cues, like Decimation Proclamation from AvPR or the Nick's Theme from The Mummy.

On the past few years it seemed that he was diversifying his career, scoring stuff that's very much not in the action/fantasy genre like What Men Want, Yellowstone and Crazy Rich Asians (and I really liked his score for CRA). But now, after his "break", he is returning to the action blockbusters, and I don't expect Last Blood, Charlie's Angels or F&F 9 to be that much better of what he has delivered on the past.

I think Tyler's TMNT is so much fun! Particularly this track from 2:49 to the end, which combines choir and orchestra in a really fun and thrilling way:

Much to my surprise, I remember liking Jablonsky's score for the sequel when it came out, but today I can't remember a single thing about it.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Aren't most of them horrible?

The first is a great, classic film. I enjoy 2 and 3 for what they are (i.e. products of their time), but that's about it. 4 was actually a good film, while 5 now is decent+. But I would not rate any of them 'horrible'.

While Rambo himself couldn't just turn it off, when it comes to Brian Tyler's Last Blood score, you'll want to refrain from even pressing play before it ultimately comes to that.

Owh no a shit score by Tyler, who would have seen that coming...

Remember that interview he did claiming what he loved most about his job is when he attends a screening and after the movie was done people would be humming the music and that this happened more than once. Liar. 

I don't want to participate in any Brian Tyler 'hatewagon'. He's done some good scores over the years, like STANDING UP, YELLOWSTONE or TRANSFORMERS: PRIME. But he needs to tone down his LOUDNESS in action films. I know he likes drums (and thinks he's a good drummer himself, although he's fairly mediocre), but there are other ways to approach an action film than just sheer loudness. I saw him live in London last year (got a free ticket, would not have gone otherwise), and this energetic glee was on display again. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself (energy is good!), but it completely undermines any dynamic range in the music itself.

RAMBO: LAST BLOOD is a good example of that. It probably also has something to do with the director Adrian Grünberg. Unlike the last Rambo film, directed by Stallone himself, the film lacks visionary qualities. So even though Tyler's score for RAMBO was rather bad, it was better than this. At least it had some tasteful uses of Goldsmith's music, probably communicated by Stallone.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Isn't he a dime a dozen composer, though?

Yes and no. When he's on, he's quite good. When he's off, he is indeed 'dime a dozen'.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

I know he likes drums (and thinks he's a good drummer himself, although he's fairly mediocre)

What, in your opinion, is the difference between a good drummer and a mediocre drummer?

59 minutes ago, Jay said:

What, in your opinion, is the difference between a good drummer and a mediocre drummer?

Many things. First and foremost adding a dynamic range to your drumming.

59 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Being able to drum both soft and loud, I guess.

Yes, that's it. The ability to play drums like any other instrument, with ebbs and flows, almost as if had pitch and melody. Phil Collins is great at this.  There's more to drumming than just hitting the beats, frenetically, with the occasional syncopation (which is basically the limit of Tyler's abilities).