Your top 10 Videogames Pre and Post PS3/xbox360 (HD gen and Retro)

King Mark

Haven't made my list yet but starting the thread.

make 2 lists one xbox360/PS3 to Present the other for before those times

(Wii games would count as post xbox360 and put PC games in appropriate era)

xbox360/PS3 -Present:

1-Dark Souls

2-Dragon Age Origins

3-Dragon's Dogma with Dark Arisen expansion

4-Infinite Undiscovery

5-Fallout 3

6-Valkyria Chronicles

7-Horizon Zero Dawn

8-Atelier Rorona, The Alchemist of Arland

9-Tales of Berzeria

10-The Last Remnant

Barely didn't make the list: Star Ocean The Last Hope,Borderlands 2, Resonance of Fate, Bayonetta, Kingdoms of Amalur, Risen3, Elex, Mass Effect 2,Nier Automata, Divinity 2 Ego Draconis, Divinity Original Sin, Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel, Gravity Rush 2, Far Cry 3, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Monster Hunter World,Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim, Persona 5.

Prexbox360/PS3:

1-Ultima Underworld 2:Labyrinth of Worlds

2-Ultima 7 :The Black Gate

3-Worlds of Ultima:The Savage Empire

4-Neverwinter Nights with Hordes of the Underdark expansion

5-Final Fantasy X (I played the remaster but I'll put it here anyways)

6-Might and Magic

7-Eye of the Beholder

8-Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

9-Shadowcaster

10-Wing Commander

I missed the PS1-PS2 era

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it'd be more interesting for certain among us that might be inclined to participate if we put a certain limit on maybe certain series or systems. ;)

For myself I'm gonna give myself the challenge of choosing non-Nintendo (developed) titles, one game in a series per time division if applicable, and sticking as close to the turn of the century as possible for the older list.

Pre November 2005:

Silent Hill 2 (PS2)

Killer 7 (GAMECUBE)

Katamari Damacy (PS2)

YU-NO (PC) 

Shenmue 2 (XBOX)

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (PS2)

Thunder Force IV

(GENESIS/MEGADRIVE)

Ninja Gaiden (XBOX)

Resident Evil  4 (GAMECUBE)

Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)

Runner ups include games such as the first Halo, Grim Fandango, and Monkey Island 2. I had to cut a _lot_ of games I love.

Post November 2005:

Metal Gear Solid V (PS4)

Red Dead Redemption (XBOX 360)

Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4)

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (3DS)

Bayonetta (XBOX 360)

Resident Evil 7 (PS4)

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (XBOX 360)

Holllllyy crap, I'm having a _real_ hard time filling this list out.

Uh...

Damn, I think that's all I got for now. I'll see wha'ch'all come up with.

The Colecovison was the best console I had. I once « burned » a cassette that went unplayable, by letting it in the console opened all the night... My god, I was so upset!

My first console was a LeisureVision, that was quite limited. I also had an Atari, that was the most popular console I think.  

I remember on the ColecoVision, when we played with the first game that was « talking », I mean mocking the human voice for saying only one or two words... that was like: WOUAAAHH! We could not believe it, for us it really was the furure!

😂

25 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Super Star Wars trilogy

Screw the jank-ass sandcrawler level in the first one.

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

6-Valkyria Chronicles

Ooh, there we go!

if you haven't played the first one go play it

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4)

got this for free on PS+ this month

53 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Shadows of the Empire

I never made it past the TIE bomber level

42 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Screw the jank-ass sandcrawler level in the first one.

It was amazing how it recreated the scenes where Luke scaled the outside of the sand crawler, killed hundreds of jawas and then slayed a massive fire-breathing lava monster inside. Just like the movie!

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

got this for free on PS+ this month

Apparently don't listen to me 'cause no one feels this way, but as someone who thought the first one was decent, and the second one sucked, this really is one of my favorite video games ever.

38 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

It was amazing how it recreated the scenes where Luke scaled the outside of the sand crawler, killed hundreds of jawas and then slayed a massive fire-breathing lava monster inside. Just like the movie!

What I hated was if you made a platforming mistake you usually wouldn't die, you'd land somewhere the way hell back earlier in the level!

The closest thing it comes to as a recreation is the Star Wars Disenchantment thread.

Too many superb games to combine current gen and last gen, so...

PS3-era:

1. The Last Of Us

2. Fallout 3

3. Portal 2

4. BioShock Infinite

5. Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception

6. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

7. Red Dead Redemption

8. Catherine

9. Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

10. Journey

X360/PS3:

1. BioShock Infinite

2. The Last of Us*

3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 1 and 2

4. Batman: Arkham City

5. Uncharted Trilogy*

Honorable mentions: Batman: Arkham Origins (not as bad as many people say), Bioshock, Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, James Bond 007: Blood Stone (not a masterpiece by any means, but hey, I had a lot of fun with that game when I was a teen, lol).

PS4:

1. Red Dead Redemption II

2. Spider-Man

3. God of War (2018)

4. Uncharted 4 + The Lost Legacy

5. BloodBorne

There's also a few smaller games that I had fun with, specially playing with friends: Injustice 2, Brawhalla, Cuphead, Dauntless, the Trine franchise...

*I didn't own a PS3 when either of those games were released, so I only got to play the remastered for PS4 version.

Pre-HD era:

1 (tie) The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past

1 (tie) Super Mario World

1 (tie) Super Metroid

4 The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

5 Super Mario Bros 3

6 Chrono Trigger

7 Final Fantasy IV

8 Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

9 Final Fantasy VI

10 Metroid: Zero Mission

HD era

1 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

2 The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

3 Hollow Knight

4 Super Mario Galaxy

5 Super Mario Odyssey

6 Super Mario Maker

7 Celeste

8 New Super Mario Bros 

9 Super Mario 3D Land

10 Fire Emblem: Heroes

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Why would it be shocking that someone thinks Hollow Knight is a top ten worthy game? 

It's shocking that _you_ would do so. Completely out of left field.

35 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Have you played the original? They’re all fantastic games. The remastered collection is really cheap for PS4. 

Well shucks, now I feel bad for not liking Infinite. Like I said in the other thread, it's a great game, but I wasn't happy with the plot direction.

I highly recommend playing it, as well as the first, though. 

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

It's shocking that _you_ would do so. Completely out of left field.

You're joking, right? 

My videogame experience will be very different from all of you here (and obviously reflecting my age a bit), so I can't contribute anything whatsoever to the "post" part of this query, only "pre".

I was never into dedicated game consoles. A friend of mine was into Nintendo and Super Nintendo back in the early to mid 90s, so I played (but mostly watched) as he played classics like Street Fighter 1 and 2, Zelda, Castlevania, F-Zero and so on.

But my experience beyond that is almost exclusively with PC games. I remember the days of Commodore 64, Atari and later on Amiga well, although -- again -- I mostly watched others play, didn't do much myself.

When my dad got an up-to-date computer in the early 90s, I started to play a bit more myself. Often with my dad -- we both shared a love for classic point-and-click adventure games. Basically everything from Lucasarts and Sierra. Sometimes on expensive CD-ROMs, other times from floppy discs, depening on how new the game was. There was also stuff like WING COMMANDER (2 and 3), BIOFORGE, MAGIC CARPET, LITTLE BIG ADVENTURE, MYST, RIVEN, DARK FORCES, ALONE IN THE DARK etc. etc. One that I played the most was Championship Manager; in one iteration of this I played, like, 150 seasons!

After the millennium turnover, I didn't play much. Occasionally some FIFA untill the late 2000s, that's about it. But then it was sorta ressurected a bit quite recently when Telltale relaunched the point-and-click adventure games for retro kids like us -- things like the WALKING DEAD, GAME OF THRONES, BACK TO THE FUTURE; SAM & MAX and JURASSIC PARK.

Making a list of top 10 videogames is difficult for me. All I know is that THE DIG from Lucasarts is my alltime favourite game. So I'm better off just listing some top favourites:

From Lucasarts: THE DIG, the MONKEY ISLAND series, FULL THROTTLE, INDIANA JONES AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS, DAY OF THE TENTACLE, MANIAC MANSION, GRIM FANDANGO

From Sierra: The GABRIEL KNIGHT series, the PHANTASMAGORIA series (yes, most of these are after games like the King's, Space and Police Quests, or Larry)

Others: CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER, FIFA, WING COMMANDER (2 and 3), BLADE RUNNER

Tons more, of course, but I've already rattled on for far too long...

I think setting the line between PS2 and PS3 is interesting, because certainly PS2 games share more DNA with PS3 than with, say, NES.  My "eras" division would probably fall in front of 64 bit (between PS1 and N64).

Nevertheless:

Culled from NES, N64, PS2, Gamecube, Wii (systems I had in the pre-HD era)

Super Mario Bros 3

Maniac Mansion

Bubble Bobble

TMNT2 The Arcade Game

Goldeneye 007

Majora's Mask

Ocarina of Time

Mario Kart 64

Super Mario 64

GTA Vice City

Culled from PS3 and Wii-U (later systems I had - this is technically all the games I've played for these systems that I've felt were worth mentioning.  Rent/mortgage/parenting have made new video games rarely a purchase for me).

Arkham Asylum

Arkham City

Arkham Origins

Okami

Gta4

Last of Us

Breath of the Wild

Honorable mentions to the LEGO games (especially the ones with large overworlds like LEGO Lord of the Rings)

Handheld bonus round

SML

Tetris

SML2

LOZ Link’s Awakening

SML3 Wario Land

LOZ Phanrom Hourglass

Picross DS/Picross 3D