Has anybody seriously considered getting rid of their CDs?

Josh500

On the contrary. I try to support specialty labels by buying everything I really want and buy all my favourite movies on DVD (yes, DVD). Listening to music without using a computer or phone can be quite relaxing. It's great to be disconnected.

Just now, bollemanneke said:

On the contrary. I try to support specialty labels by buying everything I really want and buy all my favourite movies on DVD (yes, DVD). Listening to music without using a computer or phone can be quite relaxing. It's great to be disconnected.

I wholeheartedly agree!

Just now, bollemanneke said:

On the contrary. I try to support specialty labels by buying everything I really want and buy all my favourite movies on DVD (yes, DVD).

Interesting. Any reason you don't buy Blu-rays instead? Other than not owning a player, obviously.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

So you still listen to your CDs on a CD player? 

45 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The quality of audio playback is mostly about how expensive the DAC is.

I'm pretty sure the analogue stage also has a significant impact, as does the power supply, and the transport, and and and

Also dedicated CD players (the better ones that is) tend to sound better than video disc players as they don't need to service image circuitry.

Anyway, re the op question posed, yes I do, every time I have to move the bleedin' things. But would I? Not a chance, for few reasons. Mostly because digital is just too iffy. I've had things disappear off my hard drive mysteriously a few times now. Then there is the risk of damage or destruction and the pain of having to make backups. Physical media has its quirks too, I've had some discs go bad (mainly DVDs) and there's other forms of loss as discussed above.

7 minutes ago, Bespin said:

They’ll burry me with them!

Not before I nab your JP set!

I've always found there to be a certain novelty to owning a CD that I never felt with digital media, especially in the case of specialty releases (which are only physical anyways). I don't know. It's always nice having a collection, seeing all the artwork, having something you can hold and read while you listen perhaps. I don't think I'll ever get rid of any of my CDs.

5 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Also dedicated CD players (the better ones that is) tend to sound better than video disc players as they don't need to service image circuitry.

Exactly, because more money can be used on the DAC.

5 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I'm pretty sure the analogue stage also has a significant impact, as does the power supply, and the transport, and and and

I'm not sure Jay will understand this.

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Exactly, because more money can be used on the DAC.

And the power supply, and the analogue stage, and the transport, and the chassis.......

30 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

and buy all my favourite movies on DVD (yes, DVD)

I recently watched M:I Fallout on upscaled DVD on my 51 inch and was pleasantly surprised at how good the image quality was. Good encoding makes a huge difference. 

11 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I've always found there to be a certain novelty to owning a CD that I never felt with digital media, especially in the case of specialty releases (which are only physical anyways). I don't know. It's always nice having a collection, seeing all the artwork, having something you can hold and read while you listen perhaps. 

I agree with you on this. 

However, I have a sneaky suspicion that we feel this way mostly because we're used to it. We know nothing else. If the record labels started doing things differently tomorrow (for example release their music only digitally) we'll probably get used to it relatively quickly... Say, in a few years. And then that'll seem to us like the most normal thing in the world. 

If I could get all the speciality releases on streaming and I didn't already own a huge collection of CDs I'd be quite happy to stick with digital.

30 minutes ago, Thekthithm said:

Blu-rays play at the correct speed, whereas people sound like chipmonks on DVD.

Yes, on PAL DVD, that is true. But having lived in a PAL territory my whole life, I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me.

6 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I agree with you on this. 

However, I have a sneaky suspicion that we feel this way mostly because we're used to it. We know nothing else. If the record labels started doing things differently tomorrow (for example release their music only digitally) we'll probably get used to it relatively quickly... Say, in a few years. And then that'll seem to us like the most normal thing in the world. 

I agree

Unfortunately, the movie studios won't grant the specialty labels a license to release their work digitally, so we're stuck with CDs and LPs

1 minute ago, JTWfan77 said:

If I could get all the speciality releases on streaming and I didn't already own a huge collection of CDs I'd be quite happy to stick with digital.

That's like saying if I could get a younger girlfriend and didn't already have a wife that's a bit long in the tooth, I'd be quite happy with the young girlfriend! 

When in my car (which is a lot of the time), I prefer to listen to CDs. I don’t always listen to CDs, but I prefer it, for a couple of reasons.

#1 is that CD is the highest quality input for my current car and most cars I have driven (as opposed to AUX or bluetooth; most cars also offer USB, but then don’t support all file formats).

#2 is that, when I have popped in a CD, I tend to listen to the entire programme from start to finish. Of course I CAN do this with other media, but usually I tend to skip around a lot. With the CD I feel somewhat more compelled to just sit back and listen, if that makes sense. It’s relaxing and satisfying.

5 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

#2 is that, when I have popped in a CD, I tend to listen to the entire programme from start to finish. Of course I CAN do this with other media, but usually I tend to skip around a lot. With the CD I feel somewhat more compelled to just sit back and listen, if that makes sense. It’s relaxing and satisfying.

Yes, that's certainly true, for me as well! 

Back in the days when the remote control for the TV hadn't been invented, I'm pretty sure people watched any given program longer than the majority of people today, channelsurfing and with the attention span of your average goldfish in a fishtank.... 

It's kinda like that. 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

I don't think CDs take up a lot of space. Then again, I have very little need to 'showcase' other stuff.

These guys are all getting married and the wives won't tolerate extraneous items that take up space that could instead be occupied by a sideboard and hutch.

8 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Back in the days when the remote control for the TV hadn't been invented, I'm pretty sure people watched any given program longer than the majority of people today, channelsurfing and with the attention span of your average goldfish in a fishtank.... 

Yes, we did. Also, in Norway at least, we only had one TV channel between 1960 and 1992, so there wasn't much choice to begin with (unless you had expensive cable packages, of course, which became more common in the 80s).

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, we did. Also, in Norway at least, we only had one TV channel between 1960 and 1992, so there wasn't much choice to begin with 

pleasantvile.PNG

We were lucky, though, because in the 90s we lived on a hill, and could sometimes get in Swedish TV through the antenna. Or -- on REALLY clear days -- a fuzzy image of German TV!

42 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, we did. Also, in Norway at least, we only had one TV channel between 1960 and 1992, so there wasn't much choice to begin with (unless you had expensive cable packages, of course, which became more common in the 80s).

In the 60s, that's understandable. But as late as in 1992? 

I believel we had like 50 cable TV channels by then... 😂 

Yes, NRK (Norsk Rikskringkasting, meaning the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation) had a state-endorsed monopoly on television in all those years. Everyone owning a TV set have to pay a 'licence fee' (only now are they discussing disbanding this arrangement). If you had cable packages, you could get two other Norwegian TV channels in the 80s -- the commercially funded TV Norge (TV Norway) and TV 3 (which broadcasts from London). In 1992, the monopoly was finally lifted and a second, commercially funded (but non-cable available) channel was introduced -- TV2. Later on, NRK itself branched into three different sub channels: NRK 1, NRK 2 and NRK 3/NRK Super. And that is -- very simplified -- the landscape today, although most people have cable packages in one form or another so they can get various international channels as well.

Unlike the US, the Norwegian TV landscape was never as commercially oriented, and so there was never much room for other channels to emerge. We were also late to the game. When NRK first launched television broadcasts in 1960, television had been a household component of US everyday life for about 15 years or so.

Sure, plenty of JW-scored films. They also showed the HOME ALONEs during Christmasses for the first few years, but now this film is usually shown on TV 2 or TV Norge every year.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Of course. I vaguely remember that they aired all the Superman films, or nearly all, probably around Christmas.

And I bet Home Alone! That's like an international law, they have to air that at Christmas time... 😂 

Just now, Thor said:

Sure, plenty of JW-scored films. They also showed the HOME ALONEs during Christmasses for the first few years, but now this film is usually shown on TV 2 or TV Norge every year.

We just had the exact same thought of HA! 😅 

7 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

These guys are all getting married and the wives won't tolerate extraneous items that take up space that could instead be occupied by a sideboard and hutch.

So the Joshes and the Discos of the world, they don't wear the trousers?