Williams cues that will make for great IN MEMORIAM cues at the Oscars

TheUlyssesian

I was thinking maybe a new arrangement of Luke and Leia from ROTJ - maybe even with a cello solo. But, considering the recent and memorable appearance of that theme on The Last Jedi, they'll be taking the risk of people who are not film score buffs associating it too much with Star Wars.

There's also Remembering Emilie and Finale from War Horse. That Gloria Cheng piano solo would be very touching.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I was thinking maybe a new arrangement of Luke and Leia from ROTJ - maybe even with a cello solo. But, considering the recent and memorable appearance of that theme on The Last Jedi, they'll be taking the risk of people who are not film score buffs associating it too much with Star Wars.

There's also Remembering Emilie and Finale from War Horse. That Gloria Cheng piano solo would be very touching.

Great pick! I think the strings are a tad overdramatic but I think if restructured as a piano piece it would work very well.

Elegy for Cello and Orchestra or Regaining a Son from Seven Years in Tibet.

A New Beginning from Minority Report

The Reunion from A.I. 

12 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The Face of Pan 

I know for certain that this is high up on my list for music played at my own funeral, not only the "In Memoriam" section at the Oscars.

That track is part of what I've called John Williams' "religious sound", a pastoral sound he excels at and -- in fact -- is one of the main reasons why he's my favourite composer (far more than the action stuff). There are many other examples: "Restoration"  from JANE EYRE, "The Miracle"  from HEIDI, "Final Duel" bit from JEDI, "The Penitant Man Will Pass" from INDY 3, "Star of Bethlehem" from HOME ALONE, "The Meeting with Mao" from NIXON, "Look Down, Lord" from ROSEWOOD, "Angela's Prayer" from ANGELA'S ASHES, "Fawkes the Phoenix" from HP2, "Window to the Past" from HP3, "Hatikvah/The Hope" from MUNICH and so on.

But I also think the aforementioned "Elegy for Cello and Piano/Orchestra" is a great candidate, written for an actual funeral and one of my favourite concert pieces by JW.

On 9/19/2019 at 12:26 PM, Thor said:

I know for certain that this is high up on my list for music played at my own funeral, not only the "In Memoriam" section at the Oscars.

That track is part of what I've called John Williams' "religious sound", a pastoral sound he excels at and -- in fact -- is one of the main reasons why he's my favourite composer (far more than the action stuff). There are many other examples: "Restoration"  from JANE EYRE, "The Miracle"  from HEIDI, "Final Duel" bit from JEDI, "The Penitant Man Will Pass" from INDY 3, "Star of Bethlehem" from HOME ALONE, "The Meeting with Mao" from NIXON, "Look Down, Lord" from ROSEWOOD, "Angela's Prayer" from ANGELA'S ASHES, "Fawkes the Phoenix" from HP2, "Window to the Past" from HP3, "Hatikvah/The Hope" from MUNICH and so on.

But I also think the aforementioned "Elegy for Cello and Piano/Orchestra" is a great candidate, written for an actual funeral and one of my favourite concert pieces by JW.

C'mon, we need a Spotify playlist! :)

I recall hearing part of "Back to America" from Angela's Ashes at one of the Oscars, but I can't remember if it was for "In Memoriam" or another sequence.

More knowledgeable minds please clarify. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, That_Bloke said:

I recall hearing part of "Back to America" from Angela's Ashes at one of the Oscars, but I can't remember if it was for "In Memoriam" or another sequence.

More knowledgeable minds please clarify. Thanks.

It was in the 2013 Seth McFarlane Oscars when Amour won best Foreign Feature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJlw27Fx11E