"Wide Receiver" aka NBC Sunday Night Football Theme (Concert Version)

TownerFan

Thanks for sharing Maurizio! 

Sounds like an amalgamation of WIlliams' 2000's fanfare output with a little Star Wars march feel thrown into the mix. So many classic JW gestures found throughout.

12 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Posted it in another thread, but got buried soon.

Found this today on YouTube via thx99 facebook:

It's the full concert arrangement (Williams performed it once in Chicago in 2009).

This is a reproduction made with VST instruments, but it's done tastefully well. It's the first time I hear this version.

Almost sounds like a mash-up of the Resistance March and the Imperial March. 

1 minute ago, Score said:

Almost sounds like a mash-up of the Resistance March and the Imperial March. 

With a bit of the relentless attitude of the Arena march from Attack of the Clones added in.

Just now, Not Mr. Big said:

I always thought that March of the Resistance sounded like Football.  This reinforces that belief. 

Nothing says football like a fugue march development.

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

With a bit of the relentless attitude of the Arena march from Attack of the Clones added in.

Nothing says football like a fugue march development.

True.  There's a lot of things going on at the same time in football (wide receiver, quarter back, thrower) 

I really don’t think that’s a mock-up. Or if it is please point me to the library that can accomplish that haha. It’s been on Hal Leonard’s site for quite some time. Great piece, JW really likes his brassy finishes!

3 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I always thought that March of the Resistance sounded like Football.  This reinforces that belief. 

It's reminiscent of Revenge of the Sith.

well, cool , even if you read the forum every day you can miss stuff .This type of thing should ALWAYS have it's own thread instead of being burried in a random thread you might not read

New JW fanfare piece is always great to have

the MP3 says it's an Orchestra Recording 

If I recall, I think @Will posted this recording here years ago (honestly not sure when), after I made a comment wishing there were an expanded concert version of the SNF material.  I always thought it was an orchestra, just not a terribly dynamically recorded one.  (It sounded "dry" to me, if I'm using that correctly.)  But I was thrilled to get my hands on it, whatever it is!

Don't think his has been posted either. The two other NFL compositions JW did included in this arrangement, "Screen Pass" and "Taking The Pass." You can really hear some "I Can Fly Anything" in the latter:

1 hour ago, Falstaft said:

Don't think his has been posted either. The two other NFL compositions JW did included in this arrangement, "Screen Pass" and "Taking The Pass." You can really hear some "I Can Fly Anything" in the latter:

I just don't get it.  NBC has this stuff at its disposal and it uses a (weak) trailerize version of the main theme only.  I wonder if Williams intentionally used some of this in TFA since NBC was showing no interest in it.  

14 hours ago, igger6 said:

If I recall, I think @Will posted this recording here years ago (honestly not sure when), 

It was also in 2016

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26627-build-your-jw-concert-suite-dream-album/&do=findComment&comment=1272106

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

But am I correct in saying that NBC didn't even use this music for more than like a season?

I don't know (I don't care about American football), but when I sat in a sports pub in San Diego in 2012, on a Sunday, I heard the theme constantly on the screen -- albeit some rock or electronic versions of the theme (intros and outros and such). So it was at the very least used untill 2012.

I remember hearing Williams' main theme in the last couple of Superbowls. Who knows what network feed I was watching; I wasn't in the US at the time. But it was definitely a trailerised version of the JW theme. 

Just now, Disco Stu said:

If one sport's dumb, they're all dumb.  Which is probably right, but I grew up with college football so it's just part of my culture.  It's ok to enjoy something dumb.

Football's the best! A bunch of sweaty dudes grappling and groping each other for a little ball! You can't beat that as an icon of a country's machismo!

I outgrew the nerd thing of placing myself above people who enjoy sports.  So now I place myself above nerds who place themselves above people who enjoy sports?  All while not actually enjoying sports that much.

My head hurts.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I outgrew the nerd thing of placing myself above people who enjoy sports.  So now I place myself above nerds who place themselves above people who enjoy sports?  All while not actually enjoying sports that much.

My head hurts.

It's all fun and games!