Williams to co-conduct St. Louis Symphony, November 1

MovieMusicMaestro

51 minutes ago, Tom said:

I think his violin and flute concerto were originally 'recorded' by the SLO.  

Both the violin and flute concertos were both 'originally recorded' by the London Symphony Orchestra in 1981 and was originally released by Varese Sarabande on LP/Vinyl in 1983 and, later, on CD.

image.png

image.png

However, the violin concerto was premiered by the SLO in January of 1981

https://www.leonardslatkin.com/world-premieres/

Viloin.png

After the Williams concert on the November 1, the Violin Concerto is on Saturday and Sunday Nov 2 and 3 with the Nov 2 concert being streamed on radio online:

https://www.slso.org/en/about-us/live-broadcasts/

(Tickets are available too for those near St Louis.)

Here's the full program which is a nice combo - another great American composer (Barber - popularly known because his music was used in films) and a modern (in the post-Romantic era sense) French composer with Williams listed without apology right alongside for one of his concert pieces. Presumably, this is the revised version of the concerto.

Stéphane Denève, conductor
James Ehnes, violin

BARBER Adagio for Strings
J. WILLIAMS Violin Concerto
SAINT-SAËNS Symphony No. 3, "Organ" 

Hollywood sneaks into Powell Hall. John Williams was working on scores for Steven Spielberg’s earliest films when he wrote his Violin Concerto. Popular soloist James Ehnes joins the SLSO for this performance. Barber’s Adagio has moved audiences in movies such as Platoon and Amélie, and Saint-Saëns gave “everything I was able to give” to a symphony of truly cinematic scope.

On 9/24/2019 at 7:03 PM, SteveMc said:

I wish he would swing by to Houston.  It's only a thousand miles away!

I know right? I'd be satisfied if the boston pops showed up in dallas even, with or without williams

6 hours ago, lairdo said:

After the Williams concert on the November 1, the Violin Concerto is on Saturday and Sunday Nov 2 and 3 with the Nov 2 concert being streamed on radio online:

https://www.slso.org/en/about-us/live-broadcasts/

(Tickets are available too for those near St Louis.)

Here's the full program which is a nice combo - another great American composer (Barber - popularly known because his music was used in films) and a modern (in the post-Romantic era sense) French composer with Williams listed without apology right alongside for one of his concert pieces. Presumably, this is the revised version of the concerto.

Stéphane Denève, conductor
James Ehnes, violin

BARBER Adagio for Strings
J. WILLIAMS Violin Concerto
SAINT-SAËNS Symphony No. 3, "Organ" 

Hollywood sneaks into Powell Hall. John Williams was working on scores for Steven Spielberg’s earliest films when he wrote his Violin Concerto. Popular soloist James Ehnes joins the SLSO for this performance. Barber’s Adagio has moved audiences in movies such as Platoon and Amélie, and Saint-Saëns gave “everything I was able to give” to a symphony of truly cinematic scope.

This is mostly the same program Denéve conducted in Boston a couple of years ago. Exception is the Barber -- in Boston they performed Higdon's Blue Cathedral.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2019 at 12:45 AM, Miguel Andrade said:

This is mostly the same program Denéve conducted in Boston a couple of years ago. Exception is the Barber -- in Boston they performed Higdon's Blue Cathedral.

I'd love to hear "Blue Cathedral" live!  Most of the recordings I've heard just don't get loud enough for the fine details near the end.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tom said:

451: Unavailable due to legal reasons

We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact sitehelp@stltoday.com or call 314-340-8000.

Thank you, EU conservatives.

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Lots of pictures, but no write up (as far as I can tell). 

It's up now: https://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/music/reviews/john-williams-den-ve-wow-a-cheering-powell-hall-audience/article_03e6659d-1b2b-5bcf-ad56-5c0b685cc6d6.html#3

Williams looks so smart! Definitely will be wearing that in Wien.

Nice program, too!  I'm intrigued about the so called “Symphonic Suite from E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial”. Never seen the ET themes presented in this fashion in concert, I believe.

The “Symphonic Suite from E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial” rounded off the first half. Denève reminisced about the first time he saw the film. “I was 12,” he said, “but please don’t do the math.” Performed “like a symphony,” the suite features more delicate dialog between flute and harp with the addition of refined piccolo solo work by Ann Choomack. The end of the second movement, “Stargazers,” was particularly poignant as Denève and the orchestra added a finely controlled backdrop to Lilly’s solos-harp conclusion.

Does that mean new arrangements or just an assemblage of themes to conform the "suite"?

4 hours ago, Madmartigan JC said:

It's up now: https://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/music/reviews/john-williams-den-ve-wow-a-cheering-powell-hall-audience/article_03e6659d-1b2b-5bcf-ad56-5c0b685cc6d6.html#3

Williams looks so smart! Definitely will be wearing that in Wien.

Nice program, too!  I'm intrigued about the so called “Symphonic Suite from E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial”. Never seen the ET themes presented in this fashion in concert, I believe.

Does that mean new arrangements or just an assemblage of themes to conform the "suite"?

The three movement suite was performed once at Tanglewood, back in 2011. Starts with "Three Million Light Years from Home", the second movement "Stargazers" is the same arrangement recorded by Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops. The final movement is the regular concert version of "Adventures on Earth".

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nobody dislikes JW's music as much as JWFans.

Especially when he fucks his masterpieces up himself!

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Yep.  What he really needs to do is rescind the concert version and publish the film version.

The concert version rivals "proper" symphonies more than the film version.

41 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The concert version rivals "proper" symphonies more than the film version.

I’m not sure I understand the distinction you’re making?  I think the film version of Bike Chase / The Departure (I’ll exclude the The Escape for a direct comparison) is an obviously more satisfying standalone composition than the concert adaptation.