Kevin Feige is developing new Star Wars movie for Disney

Edmilson

39 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

As one of the seemingly few people on the board that like the MCU, my take is:

Could be good.

I like the MCU too, I watched pretty much all of them on theaters, and I actually write for a blog dedicated to Marvel movies run by my friend. But I realize that's an impopular subject around here, so I don't bring it that much.

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

MCU's boss Kevin Feige is developing new Star Wars movie for Disney

Lol

So they are developing a trilogy by Benioff and Weiss, a trilogy by Rian Johnson, and this.  And they are waiting until 2022 to start any of this, and only releasing one every other year to swap with Avatar movies. Some of these films will be gestating for a long time... 

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Lol

So they are developing a trilogy by Benioff and Weiss, a trilogy by Rian Johnson, and this.  And they are waiting until 2022 to start any of this, and only releasing one every other year to swap with Avatar movies. Some of these films will be gestating for a long time... 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if at least one of these became a Disney+ series.

19 hours ago, Mattris said:

Assuming industry norms concerning box office receipts, Disney received about 60% of the revenue for the theatrically-released SW films: about $2.5B in total. But of course, the first four films weren't cheap to produce and market, costing Disney well over $1.5B. Net revenue from the films alone is around $1B.

I have yet to see proof that Disney has "recouped the 4 billion" initial investment.

Yet, maybe. Which is why I mentioned the upcoming box-office from Eps 10-12.   

31 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I’ll take the light fun over the dour grimness that threatened to take over in the 00s any day.

From the mid-nineties to the mid 2000s was, in my mind, a golden era for the “serious” blockbuster.

I don’t need no lighter fluff. I’m not a seven year-old.

31 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Yet, maybe. Which is why I mentioned the upcoming box-office from Eps 10-12.   

Further Episodes in the Saga are not only unconfirmed, but might never happen. You said:

"I see that Force Awakens, Rogue One and Last Jedi recouped the 4 billion Disney bought Lucasfilm for between them. Safe to assume Rise Of Skywalker will add another couple of billion to that, then there's the proposed Episodes 10 - 12."

I pointed out that Disney still have about $3B to go to make $4B from the films alone. Even if IX does well and makes a cool $1B profit, that's only half of their initial investment made back. Merchandise and park tickets are other significant revenue streams... but are also costly... and not so profitable at the moment.

1 hour ago, Mattris said:

Further Episodes in the Saga are not only unconfirmed, but might never happen. You said:

"I see that Force Awakens, Rogue One and Last Jedi recouped the 4 billion Disney bought Lucasfilm for between them. Safe to assume Rise Of Skywalker will add another couple of billion to that, then there's the proposed Episodes 10 - 12."

I pointed out that Disney still have about $3B to go to make $4B from the films alone. Even if IX does well and makes a cool $1B profit, that's only half of their initial investment made back. Merchandise and park tickets are other significant revenue streams... but are also costly... and not so profitable at the moment.

Earlier this year Disney 'slated' 3 new Star Wars movies for release in Dec 2022/2024/2026. But whatever.    

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Lol

Some of this stuff will probably be for Disney+ anyway.

Seems to me the 2022 - 2024 - 2026 films will be a trilogy, with Kennedy and Feige to produce. The first film will be scripted by Benioff and Weiss, who thereafter are off to their Netflix gig.

On 9/25/2019 at 11:13 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

Is that the guy who made superhero movies boring?  Hard pass

If he has an idea to make Star Wars fresh and engaging -- I'm all for it.

As long as he doesn't mandate it being shot digitally like he's required with the MCU...

5 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Rogue One was shot digitally.

Indeed but it looked amazing. Solo, on the other hand...

Granted, the studios want to save money but the directors should have the choice to use film, Alexa/Red/MXL or use both formats.

There’s a certain aesthetic to SW films compared to the MCU. I hope Feige recognizes that. And no mid/post credit scenes either.

Goes to show you can botch the photography of a movie in any format; and, conversly, you can make any format work, if you know your stuff.

The MCU has a certain visual aesthetic which is just kind of dull (in terms of light and colour) and its enforced across all of their films. It doesn't really matter what they're photographed with, or by whom.

Which isn't to say Star Wars always excelled at photography. There are a couple of nice shots in the original, but its otherwise not too impressive in strictly pictorial terms, and the prequels largely aren't either. The Empire Strikes Back is easily the best-shot of the original hexalogy.

Star Wars was shot on both film and digital, and so any filmmaker can go either way. But its not like someone gonna turn up and shoot a Star Wars film on 16mm. So personally I don't see as much of a point of insisting to shoot it on film.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

She was the Abed's girlfriend!  Once her film career took off she kinda just stopped appearing

From a time before I knew she existed.  Apparently she was the coat check girl - I remember that was pretty cute.  Looks like she was also in Scott Pilgrim, which I saw when it came out.  Just hadn't known it was her at the time, I guess!

On 9/26/2019 at 6:26 AM, Jay said:

Lol

I still say we get the announcement that Johnson’s trilogy is cancelled at some point. 

On 9/25/2019 at 10:13 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

Is that the guy who made superhero movies boring?  Hard pass

You’re thinking of Snyder, Nolan and the DCEU.

On 9/27/2019 at 3:58 PM, Chen G. said:

Star Wars was shot on both film and digital, and so any filmmaker can go either way. But its not like someone gonna turn up and shoot a Star Wars film on 16mm. So personally I don't see as much of a point of insisting to shoot it on film.

Granted, directors who have proven themselves ought to have the choice to use either format. Marc Webb was forced to shoot his first Spider-Man movie digitally, but successfully lobbied to shoot the sequel on 35mm. And since then he’s shot his other films like that too.

I never thought I’d be disinterested in more Star Wars movie but... here we are.

The Mandalorian and Kenobi seem more interesting. 

who cares, Star Wars fans will ruin them anyway.