Jerry Goldsmith's AIR FORCE ONE - 2019 2CD Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

Whipped this up quick

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ueGNiTFFBsb4WShinhyEBvE2bfq93FsFNgaePYcfJUg/edit?usp=sharing

BTW, is it normal for Varese press releases to not tell us who the creative team of an expanded release is?

I'm curious who produced this set? Who assembled it? Who mastered it? Who did the artwork? Who wrote the liner notes?

I believe LLL & Intrada always tell us those things up front.

Not sure if I like this of putting the Film Versions as bonus tracks, and not on the main program. Unless in cases in which the film versions are editorially created by music editors, and therefore weren't recorded like that by the composer, I prefer them on the main program and the alternate versions as bonus. 

According to the FSM thread, the creative team for this is Cary Mansfield, Bryon Davis, Chas Ferry, Bruce Botnick, Mark Shoolery and Daniel Schweiger.  Apart from Botnick and Schweiger, I've never heard of those other names before; hopefully they do good work!

Sweet! Ordered! :)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Whipped this up quick

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ueGNiTFFBsb4WShinhyEBvE2bfq93FsFNgaePYcfJUg/edit?usp=sharing

BTW, is it normal for Varese press releases to not tell us who the creative team of an expanded release is?

I'm curious who produced this set? Who assembled it? Who mastered it? Who did the artwork? Who wrote the liner notes?

I believe LLL & Intrada always tell us those things up front.

The info is on the release's page at Varese's site:

Deluxe Edition Produced for Varèse Sarabande Records by Cary E. Mansfield and Bryon Davis

Mastered by Chas Ferry

Master assembly Chas Ferry and Bruce Botnick

Art Direction for Varèse Sarabande Records: Mark Shoolery with help from Bill Pitzonka

Liner Notes by Daniel Schweiger

7 minutes ago, Incanus said:

The info is on the release's page at Varese's site:

None of that was there before!  I would guess they added it after I brought up that it wasn't known!  Awesome!

51 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Not sure if I like this of putting the Film Versions as bonus tracks, and not on the main program. Unless in cases in which the film versions are editorially created by music editors, and therefore weren't recorded like that by the composer, I prefer them on the main program and the alternate versions as bonus. 

The only problem of the Harry Potter set was to take the superior early versions out of the main program and replace them with the inferior film versions (Petrified Collin, Lupin's Transformation, Saving Buckbeak).

Bryon has worked at Varese for years and produced quite a few albums, some with Peter Hackman who departed Varese at the same time as Townson. Cary has worked at Varese since even before Bob Townson, I think. He’s just now taking over the Club releases as head honcho, I guess.

Yavar

4 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

The new album sounds pretty much identical to the 1997 album. Actually, looking at the waveforms and loudness info, the new set is roughly 2db quieter.

You think the sample volume represents the CD volume? I bet they will have made it louder in order to adapt it to the other Deluxe Editions.

2 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

You think the sample volume represents the CD volume? I bet they will have made it louder in order to adapt it to the other Deluxe Editions.

I'm pretty sure the samples are all taken from the new master.  BTW, my comparison wasn't done with the samples.

-Erik-

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

Hmm, that would not make much sense. The DEs of Executive Decision and Chain Reaction are both consistently louder than the OSTs. Not to do the same thing with Air Force One kills the shuffle function.

Not all scores are remastered equally. ;) 

Just now, Brundlefly said:

Wait are we talking about dynamic range or general volume?

Dynamic range but the volume levels on both are fine as well.  Nothing is clipped and nothing sounds absurdly quiet either. 

-Erik-

Just now, Erik Woods said:

Why?  When you redo an album you don't have another releases' remix in mind.  That doesn't make any sense at all.

Most of the special labels' releases have a consistent basic volume. Two exceptions by Intrada are for example Rambo 2 and Damnation Alley which are a bit quieter than all the rest.

Most of the special labels' releases have a consistent basic volume. Two exceptions by Intrada are for example Rambo 2 and Damnation Alley which are a bit quieter than all the rest.

Great, but each album is remixed differently that the other.

-Erik-

5 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

Great, but each album is remixed differently that the other.

Of course, but I appreciate it that (or if) they keep those things relatively consistent (naturally to varying degrees, depending on the score itself). The old FSM releases were all incredibly loud in comparison, so that you had to turn the volume up and down, when you had several albums (with releases by other labels) in your playlist using the shuffle function.

Of course, but I appreciate it that (or if) they keep those things relatively consistent. The old FSM releases were all incredibly loud in comparison, so that you had to turn the volume up and down, when you had several albums in your playlist using the shuffle function.

Ok, but NO ONE is thinking about shuffling playlists when remixing these albums.

-Erik-