Jerry Goldsmith's AIR FORCE ONE - 2019 2CD Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

I ordered two albums so might not get this lucky. But we'll see. :)

Better get used to it, soon you'll have to pay customs charges for everything.

So this is weird... in the track "Air Force One In Trouble" the non alternate there's volume changes. Yet the alternate take doesn't have them. I wonder what the hell happened.

Yep, starting at 2:40 the volume dips weirdly then comes back up at 2:50.

Could just be how the take went, but could also be the film stem.

Just rewatching my DVD of this and while the overall premise and is very ridiculous, it can't be denied that it's damn entertaining and well-executed for what it is. Goldsmith's score gives the film enough over-patriotism and seriousness that it works.

An amusing thing is that of all of the ridicule the crashing shot gets (correctly - the end of the shot would look bad for a videogame nowadays), the other CGI in the film looks pretty solid - lots of action in the last 20 mins and it all looks fine. If only they'd found a better way to shoot the crash landing.

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Yep, starting at 2:40 the volume dips weirdly then comes back up at 2:50.

Could just be how the take went, but could also be the film stem.

It seems likely it's from the film stem.  It's weird because there's no volume issues for this cue on the pristine bootleg and on the bootleg it's the same take.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What an obvious error. Who produced this expansion? Sean Murphy?

Bruce Botnick remastered the score so it's possible with the remastering it just pulled out stuff you normally wouldn't hear but guessing not.

I wished Mike Matessino had been able to helm this project.

Just now, Thekthithm said:

He concealed bits in the STTMP LLL full score that visibly remain in the OST version. The guy's lost it.

To which tracks are you referring to?

2 minutes ago, Trent B said:

To which tracks are you referring to?

Leaving Drydock and End Credits.

In the first track, the OST has this cool Goldsmithy electronic wailing at 1:38. In the expanded, it's gone. In the latter track, at 0:31 there are these synthy touches that made it interesting. Again, gone in the expanded.

1 hour ago, Thekthithm said:

Leaving Drydock and End Credits.

In the first track, the OST has this cool Goldsmithy electronic wailing at 1:38. In the expanded, it's gone. In the latter track, at 0:31 there are these synthy touches that made it interesting. Again, gone in the expanded.

The synths you mention at least in Leaving Drydock are barely hearable in the film. 

The album mix on Disc 2 is almost the same but the mix version in the main body of the score are new and bring them out more.

I believe it's the same situation for End Credits to what I mentioned too.

5 minutes ago, Trent B said:

You must not have good hearing. I can hear them just fine.  Then again I do have ear tubes so that maybe why my hearing is a bit better.

Thanks for the condescension, mate. They're not there in the expanded, or they're so mixed down, they're inaudible unless you're a bat. But they're plain as day in the OST and the film as they should be.

Are you and I talking about the same release?  I'm talking about the La-La Land version not the old 20th Anniversary release.

Sorry didn't mean to seem like I was condescending.

Yea this new album is excellent, I listen to it daily at work

Yesterday I tried something new, I made a playlist of just the new tracks in the main program, so basically taking out the tracks that were more or less OST tracks.  Still works as a nice 53 minute work, and was kind of refreshing since I've heard the OST tracks a bajillion times in my life

I am just taking my first listen and it sounds wonderful. Beyond the obvious action highlights I really dig the shorted suspense cues sprinkled throughout and the variations on the bad guy material.

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea this new album is excellent, I listen to it daily at work

Yesterday I tried something new, I made a playlist of just the new tracks in the main program, so basically taking out the tracks that were more or less OST tracks.  Still works as a nice 53 minute work, and was kind of refreshing since I've heard the OST tracks a bajillion times in my life

I too have listened to the OST tracks many times but it doesn't bother me.

I've made my own edit of this score. I put the film version cues in the main body and took their counterparts which are alternates and put them at the end. I even made my own film version mix of "Empty Rooms".  I also gave all the Varèse material a simple high cut in Cool Edit Pro since the tracks seemed a little too bright for me.

I took a couple of tracks from the pristine boot.  This included an alternate "K.V. Lectures", the film version take for "Target Air Force One", "Air force One In Trouble", and album ending for "Empty Rooms". The version of "Target Air Force One" on the DE is an alternate take.  "Air Force One In Trouble" from the pristine boot is the film version take but it has no volume dips like the one on this release.

Of course I renamed KV to Ivan where KV was in tracks.  Not sure who KV is so ya...

I also adjusted the volume to the action oriented tracks.  Most of them seemed a little on the low side to me.  I also adjusted the volume to the quieter tracks too. Here is the track list for my set.

01- The Parachutes (Film Version) (2:11)
02- Parachute Attack (Film Version) (3:22)
03- The Motorcade (2:41)
04- Guided Tour (1:25)
05- No Security (3:04)
06- Gibbs Fires (0:32)
07- The Hijacking (7:50)
08- Empty Capsule (2:35)
09- Empty Hall (0:39)
10- Downstairs (0:35)
11- Hanging About (0:22)
12- Terms (2:37)
13- Stalking The Plane (Part 1) (1:06)
14- Stalking The Plane (Part 2) (0:48)
15- Empty Rooms (Film Verison) (4:10)
16- Get To Work (0:56)
17- Ivan and The Hostages (Film Version) (1:29)
18- NSA Is Shot (1:18)
19- Mother Russia (1:29)
20- Marshall On Phone (1:32)
21- Target Air Force One (Film Version Take) (2:36)
22- Plane On The Ground (1:05)
23- Marshall's Plan (Film Version) (1:05)
24- The First Hostage (2:50)
25- Ivan Lectures (Film Version) (0:32)
26- Dumping Fuel (2:27)
27- Fuel's On Its Way (1:03)
28- Fax To The White House (1:17)
29- Escape In Process (0:38)
30- Where Is The President? (0:40)
31- Free Flight (4:53)
32- Hostage President (3:57)
33- I'll Do It (1:21)
34- Sign It! (Film Version) (2:03)
35- Get Off My Plane! (Film Version) (4:50)
36- Radek's Release (1:40)
37- The Dogfight (4:14)
38- Air Force One In Trouble (Film Version) (3:12)
39- Escape From Air Force One (5:30)
40- Welcome Aboard (2:10)
41- The Parachutes (Album Version) (2:06)
42- Parachute Attack (Album Version) (3:21)
43- The Hijacking (Album Version) (7:51)
44- Empty Rooms (Album Version) (4:16)
45- Ivan and The Hostages (Alternate) (1:14)
46- Target Air Force One (Alternate Take) (2:41)
47- Marshall's Plan (Alternate) (0:55)
48- Ivan Lectures (Alternate 1) (0:28)
49- Ivan Lectures (Alternate 2) (0:32)
50- Sign It! (Alternate Take) (2:09)
51- Get Off My Plane! (Alternate Take) (4:52)
52- Air Force One In Trouble (Alternate Take) (3:15)

It arrived. Not much to report. The need was long stilled by the boot, but it was a duty buy. Weird that Varése puts film stem cues (end titles, with a noticeably different, thinnish sound) on their regular editions.

Mine arrived this week!

It's overall awesome, just a few minor niggles (that Varese will never acknowledge or fix)

I read through Schweiger's liner notes and..I dunno.  There's some good stuff describing the themes and where to hear them, and a nice summation of the production of the film.  But then they don't even mention Randy Newman once.  Nor explain why Goldsmith refer's to Ivan as "K.V." in his original cue titles.  If its an in-joke, explain the joke in the liner notes.  If it's a mistake, change the track list of the final CD.  Weird.

28 minutes ago, publicist said:

It arrived. Not much to report. The need was long stilled by the boot, but it was a duty buy. Weird that Varése puts film stem cues (end titles, with a noticeably different, thinnish sound) on their regular editions.

Is this the same kind of end credits that was on Intrada's The Mummy set?

22 minutes ago, publicist said:

I find the sound off-putting. The rest, though, is an exemplary example of re-mastering done right: no loudness wars, just an elegant upgrade, a bit more depth but no excesses.

Isn't one cue from the main program said to have some loudness issues?

Or a jewish thing. Who knows. Maybe he avenged Randy. Still, Petersen seems well-reasoned in interviews, so i wonder. Peter O'Toole famously also dissed him hard after 'Troy'.

I also liked that there was an image of two pages of paperwork from the production of the film showing some original cue names and recording information, etc.  But unfortunately it was so small, I had a hard time reading it.

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

Is this the same kind of end credits that was on Intrada's The Mummy set?

Isn't one cue from the main program said to have some loudness issues?

The dvd end credits. Where you hear how they faded out the natural reverb at the end. There's one McNeely cue that is contained twice, much ado about nothing.