Black Friday 2019 JW prediction poll

Dr. Rick

Black Friday 2019 JW prediction poll  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What JW release(s) do you think will come out on Black Friday

• The Reivers (50th anniversary)
    • Sugarland Express (45th anniversary)
    • The River (35th anniversary)
    • Born on the Fourth of July (30th anniversary)
    • Always (30th anniversary)
    • Hook
    • JFK (in the LLL hopper for a couple years now presumably)
    • Far and Away
    • Amistad
    • Angela's Ashes (20th anniversary)
    • The Patriot
    • Minority Report
    • Catch Me if You Can
    • The Terminal (15th anniversary)
    • War of the Worlds
    • Star Wars mega box set
    • Indiana Jones mega box set
    • Other (your guess below)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/11/19 at 03:05 AM

Happy October, everyone!  We're just about 8 weeks away from Black Friday, thought this would be a good time to throw out a poll to speculate on what JW release(s) will be announced during or around BF by our beloved labels!

La-La Land's Black Friday titles will be announced via Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords) on Friday, November 29th. 

They will not be available for purchase until they go up for sale on Tuesday, December 3rd at 12:00 PST, which is also when samples will debut.

I don't know, and generally don't care to participate in speculation games, but of those, THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS is the only one I'm interested in.

I really want it to be The Patriot. If it's not it, then chances are very slim that Patriot is one of the scores that apparently survived Sony's new policy.

Also, I don't know what the chances are of a John Williams/Oliver Stone box set. All three of their movies were produced by different studios and the scores were released by different labels, so who knows?

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I really want it to be The Patriot. If it's not it, then chances are very slim that Patriot is one of the scores that apparently survived Sony's new policy.

The film is Sony Pictures' property, not Sony Music

I have a feeling we won't get anything after the bonanza of last year.  But I wouldn't be surprised at Far and Away only because he just revisited it for ASM, and maybe there's a reason it was on his mind.

We haven't had a single year without a Spielberg/Williams expansion since 2010, and we've had 2 each year since 2015.

Always isn't exactly a high demand expansion, so if there's ever a reason to release it, it's a milestone anniversary. 

24 minutes ago, aescalle said:

Would love:

- The reivers

- The river 

This being two completely different films composed by the same composer really screws with my OCD.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

We haven't had a single year without a Spielberg/Williams expansion since 2010, and we've had 2 each year since 2015.

But we've only had TWO completely unreleased JW scores since 2011 (NIGHTWATCH and PETE'N'TILLIE). That's where the offensive should be set, IMO.

23 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Well, and Black Sunday got its first official release in 2010, right?

Yes. Up to 2011, premiere JW releases were quite regular. After then, it dwindled almost to zero. No doubt largely due to FSMs "demise" as a label.

I should really have been more specific -- we've really only had ONE premiere release since 2011 -- and that was PETE'N'TILLIE. That's one release in 8 years (obviously not counting whatever new score he's had in the interim)! It's been great for my wallet, since I don't buy expansions, but frustrating for my completist urge.

11 hours ago, Tom said:

I have not been paying attention this year.  Have there been hints of any Williams releases?  

No. 

Things are definitely very low-key from LLL this year, after all the fun we had guessing about Harry Potter last year. Bit of a shame... but at least we know one guaranteed Williams score releasing this December. :P

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Things are definitely very low-key from LLL this year, after all the fun we had guessing about Harry Potter last year. Bit of a shame... but at least we know one guaranteed Williams score releasing this December. :P

Man, remember when the boxset existence was spoiled by the RAH concert program?  How crazy was that?!  Good times.

I totally forgot that! You're right, that's why speculation was at fever pitch for Potter -- I couldn't remember what else we had to go on (SL was spoiled by the re-release poster too).

Radio silence this year. It almost creates the impression there's nothing in the works but surely that's not the case. It'll be amazing if they just blow us away with something unexpectedly high-profile.

33 minutes ago, crumbs said:

What do you mean? Do you know something?

I voted for Reivers, Sugarland Express and Hook.

When JW originally vetoed SE back in 2017 to kick off the Heritage line Mike Matessino said something along the lines that "he had something in mind to persuade him".  45th anniversary seems like a good reason as any.  

Reivers since it's 50th anny and it's important in that it's what drove Spielberg to want to work with JW.