Black Friday 2019 JW prediction poll

Dr. Rick

Black Friday 2019 JW prediction poll  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What JW release(s) do you think will come out on Black Friday

• The Reivers (50th anniversary)
    • Sugarland Express (45th anniversary)
    • The River (35th anniversary)
    • Born on the Fourth of July (30th anniversary)
    • Always (30th anniversary)
    • Hook
    • JFK (in the LLL hopper for a couple years now presumably)
    • Far and Away
    • Amistad
    • Angela's Ashes (20th anniversary)
    • The Patriot
    • Minority Report
    • Catch Me if You Can
    • The Terminal (15th anniversary)
    • War of the Worlds
    • Star Wars mega box set
    • Indiana Jones mega box set
    • Other (your guess below)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/11/19 at 03:05 AM

The real question is, does Minority Report being released now make it more or less likely that LLLR has another JW title coming on Black Friday?

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

The real question is, does Minority Report being released now make it more or less likely that LLLR has another JW title coming on Black Friday?

Playing with us like a cat plays with a mouse!

I was just looking at my John Williams by Specialty Label thread and see LLLR has released a JW title on Black Friday every year since 2012 except for two:

2012: Home Alone 2: Lost In New York (1992) [3,000 Copies]

2015: Home Alone (1990) [5,000 Copies]

2016: Jurassic Park (1993) / The Lost World (1997) [5,000 Copies] SOLD OUT

2017: Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) [5,000 Copies]

2018: Schindler's List (1993) [4,000 Copies]

2018: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone / Chamber of Secrets / Prisoner of Azkaban (2001/2002/2004) [5,000 Copies]

2018: Land of the Giants (1968) [1,000 Copies]

So it's common but not a guarantee

How about The Reivers and Sugarland Express paired with each other? There's a narrative throughline that Mike could put into his liner notes, given the importance of the former score to the latter score and everything thereafter.

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

How about The Reivers and Sugarland Express paired with each other? There's a narrative throughline that Mike could put into his liner notes, given the importance of the former score to the latter score and everything thereafter.

That would be the release dreams are made of!  But I have no hope, it seems to be an impossibility :( 

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

No, I'd prefer one solely dedicated to SUGARLAND. THE REIVERS album is fine as it is.

Just now, Thor said:

No, I'd prefer one solely dedicated to SUGARLAND. THE REIVERS album is fine as it is.

The Reivers is in desperate, dire need of a remaster.  And Sugarland is such a short score, it makes sense to pair it.  Similar to Pete & Tillie being paired with Stanley & Iris, although Sugarland isn't as short as that.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

The Reivers is in desperate, dire need of a remaster.  And Sugarland is such a short score, it makes sense to pair it.  Similar to Pete & Tillie being paired with Stanley & Iris, although Sugarland isn't as short as that.

I think THE REIVERS sounds absolutely fine for a 1969 recording, in its 90s remaster. Not a pressing matter, IMO.

If there's room left on a SUGARLAND release, I wouldn't be opposed to having other things on there, but they would have to be from a previously unreleased JW title.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Reivers is Paramount, Sugarland Express is Universal.  They'll never be combined.

I can still hold out hope for pairing Sugarland with The River though!

Yeah, there are the practical concerns like that. I have more belief in a 'double western' release of THE RARE BREED and THE PLAINSMAN on the same CD, since they're both Universal. But of course, the tapes are probably lost in both cases.

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Reivers is Paramount, Sugarland Express is Universal.  They'll never be combined.

Apologies, had a poor choice of words. I didn't mean 'paired' as in literally combined in one set. Just that releasing those two scores at the same time (like a brother + sister release) would make a lot of sense. Outside of the 45th Anniversary, I'm not sure what else Mike could have up his sleeve to change JW's mind on Sugarland.

For egotistical reasons, I don't want another TOWERING INFERNO release to happen, since the FSM release is probably the most valuable (in monetary terms) single CD in my whole collection. It will plummet drastically. But obviously, in more solidaric terms, it should be made available again for those who weren't so lucky to acquire it back then.

Oh yes... forgot about that. And this too... https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=12&threadID=118900&archive=0

Are we scheduling some more thrilling John Williams albums for this year ? I know you had mentioned to us last year that JFK and The Towering Inferno were scheduled for 2017. Are we on track for these for this year, at least? Grateful for these titles of course.

We would love to release more Williams this year.

MV

Maybe one of the titles for the BF batch this year?

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

For egotistical reasons, I don't want another TOWERING INFERNO release to happen, since the FSM release is probably the most valuable (in monetary terms) single CD in my whole collection. It will plummet drastically. But obviously, in more solidaric terms, it should be made available again for those who weren't so lucky to acquire it back then.

Sell it now and get the new one when it's eventually released.

Absolutely smart advice.  That is what anyone should do who values money over having the old release on their shelves.  As soon as a new edition comes out, it will plummet in value

2 hours ago, crumbs said:
2 hours ago, Jay said:

For the same reason, I guess a John Williams/Oliver Stone box set would also be impossible, right? Born on the Fourth of July is Universal, JFK is Warner Bros. and Nixon is Disney.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Yeah, there are the practical concerns like that. I have more belief in a 'double western' release of THE RARE BREED and THE PLAINSMAN on the same CD, since they're both Universal. But of course, the tapes are probably lost in both cases.

Thor, didn't Roger confirm to you that The Rare Breed and The Plainsman (and Story Un a Donna for that matter) tapes were available but that any release had been nixed by JW? Am I getting my wires crossed?

Edit: after some searching (and memory jogging):

Just so you know, Williams isn't particularly interested in having Rare Breed or Story of a Woman released.

Roger, just out of curiosity are these the only titles that Mr Williams wishes not to be released, apart from Sugarland Express which I also understand that he has some say over.

That I know of. We couldn't find elements to Plainsman or Screaming Woman so didn't bring them up.

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28400-intrada-found-the-original-elements-for-rare-breed-and-story-of-a-woman/

So at least Plainsman and Rare Breed (and apparently Sugarland) tapes exist.

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

For the same reason, I guess a John Williams/Oliver Stone box set would also be impossible, right? Born on the Fourth of July is Universal, JFK is Warner Bros. and Nixon is Disney.

Right

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm in the same boat.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Jay, I know we've spoken about this before, but what about Stanley & Iris / Pete 'n' Tillie? MGM unreleased cues with Varese OST for the former and Universal cues for the latter? Mike chimed in I believe saying it took a bit of work to make it happen, but it's not unprecedented. I'd be more concerned about Sony Music re The Reivers.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think so, yea

Typical perfectionist :)

15 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Jay, I know we've spoken about this before, but what about Stanley & Iris / Pete 'n' Tillie? MGM unreleased cues with Varese OST for the former and Universal cues for the latter? Mike chimed in I believe saying it took a bit of work to make it happen, but it's not unprecedented. I'd be more concerned about Sony Music re The Reivers.

The impetus for that project was that Twilight Time was going to release the movie on Blu-Ray. So I arranged with Bob Townson to do the album and the two companies split the cost of transferring the masters. We had both stereo and three-track material. For the most part the latter sounded better except on a couple of cues.

I got the idea for Pete ’n’ Tilllie while I watched the movie as part of doing research for the liner notes, I just suddenly got the idea and thought there was no harm in trying. As I was already dealing with Universal regularly it was simple to inquire if there were music elements even though there wasn’t much score in the film. The tapes existed but there was a process to getting it added to the release. I thought it might work because Varése had perpetuity rights to Stanley & Iris and had also done Universal titles through their CD club series, including Family Plot and Midway. Townson thought it was a good idea so then I went to Universal and MGM to see if they could find a way to make this work administratively. At the same time, I presented the idea to Williams and I was told that he would have to hear the material first. So that meant spending the money to transfer and evaluate it speculatively. I was pleased to find out that it was in genuine stereo and that more had been scored than had been used in the film, close to 20 minutes. So I submitted it and Williams said yes, and then I worked on polished mixes and took them to Pat Sullivan, who had already mastered the Stanley & Iris portion of the program. The amazing thing is that this all happened within a one-month period, from getting the idea to having a master done and everything approved. Everyone stepped up to push it through so that we could make the release date. It was a real victory because there wasn’t enough of that score to have a release on its own and this was the perfect opportunity for it to see light of day after 45 years. It’s a wonderful theme and a great little gem. People should be aware, however, that if the release sells out Varése would have to re-license that score and they could very well decide to reissue Stanley & Iris, which they own, without it.

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=9994

bolding by me

Thanks Jay, I knew MM had said something about this. So Reivers / Sugarland could happen if JW agrees, Sony Music, Paramount and Universal play nice, Spielberg is on board, the stars align, etc., etc.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Absolutely smart advice.  That is what anyone should do who values money over having the old release on their shelves.  As soon as a new edition comes out, it will plummet in value

It is a very smart advice, rationally speaking. I could probably get a couple of hundred dollars for it if I sold it today. I just don't think it's going to happen. There's a sort of "life story" accompanying all of my old CD purchases, and it would be very hard for me to part with the FSM INFERNO. And since I don't buy expansions, and think the sound on the FSM is absolutely fine, I think I'm just going to hold on to it and watch as the new release arrives and it plummets in monetary value. Sad, but true.

As for Williams boycotting certain titles in his catalogue, that's another issue where I'm totally torn. On the one hand, I respect his wishes as an artist; it's his right to say what he wants out there or not. On the other hand (the more egotistical one), I'm totally furious because he denies me proper access to his great music. How can he not see the quality in something like STORY OF A WOMAN or THE RARE BREED? Actually, as far as the latter is concerned, I believe he's performed a suite in concerts several times, so his boycott seems incomprehensible.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

How can he not see the quality in something like STORY OF A WOMAN or THE RARE BREED? Actually, as far as the latter is concerned, I believe he's performed a suite in concerts several times, so his boycott seems incomprehensible.

Wow, that's interesting, would love to hear it.

9 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Thanks Jay, I knew MM had said something about this. So Reivers / Sugarland could happen if JW agrees, Sony Music, Paramount and Universal play nice, Spielberg is on board, the stars align, etc., etc.

S&I / P&T only really happened because Varese already had perpetuity rights to S&I; No major record label had a thing to do with either score.  With Sony Music having the rights to The Reivers, they ain't no way they'd ever want some other score by some other film studio anywhere near it.

And there'd be no reason to combine them anyway!  Each score deserves its own fully independent release without question.  

P&T made sense to throw onto the end of S&I because it's incredibly short, plus in the same vein as and to a film by the same director as S&I.  And there was very likely no way we'd ever get Pete & Tillie released otherwise.  But that shouldn't be a precedent to start combining other productions willy nilly.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Each score deserves its own fully independent release without question.  

I don't really have a good idea of how long the Sugarland score is.  I thought it was relatively short.  Not P&T short, but short.

I saw the movie once but that was a few years back.

The bootleg is 47 minutes long, already a totally reasonable length to be released on its own, plus who knows what additional alts exist in the vaults at Universal that didn't leak.

I would have no problems paying $20 for it especially if it had a nice booklet essay about the film, the score, and the start of their epic collaboration as a whole

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WE5ja00UI7N-SjqZh8dPID_UItqU30ejW_ekEzL9df4/

27 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Wow, that's interesting, would love to hear it.

I'll look through my archives.

But if memory serves, he often used bits of it as part of the opening music of "Evening at Pops".