Black Friday 2019 JW prediction poll

Dr. Rick

Black Friday 2019 JW prediction poll  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What JW release(s) do you think will come out on Black Friday

• The Reivers (50th anniversary)
    • Sugarland Express (45th anniversary)
    • The River (35th anniversary)
    • Born on the Fourth of July (30th anniversary)
    • Always (30th anniversary)
    • Hook
    • JFK (in the LLL hopper for a couple years now presumably)
    • Far and Away
    • Amistad
    • Angela's Ashes (20th anniversary)
    • The Patriot
    • Minority Report
    • Catch Me if You Can
    • The Terminal (15th anniversary)
    • War of the Worlds
    • Star Wars mega box set
    • Indiana Jones mega box set
    • Other (your guess below)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/11/19 at 03:05 AM

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

The bootleg is 47 minutes long, plus who knows what additional alts in the vaults at Universal that didn't leak.  A totally reasonable length to be released on its own.

I would have no problems paying $20 for it especially if it had a nice booklet essay about the film, the score, and the start of their epic collaboration as a whole

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WE5ja00UI7N-SjqZh8dPID_UItqU30ejW_ekEzL9df4/

That is correct. 42 minutes, to be exact (at least mine does; there might be various versions). It also includes the main title, which has been recorded several times. The sound quality obviously dips considerably when you go from the main title to the score proper. The score proper is not particularly interesting -- lots of shuffling percussion -- but dammit, it needs to be released, having the historical significance that it does.

17 minutes ago, Thor said:

That is correct. 42 minutes, to be exact (at least mine does; there might be various versions). It also includes the main title, which has been recorded several times. The sound quality obviously dips considerably when you go from the main title to the score proper. The score proper is not particularly interesting -- lots of shuffling percussion -- but dammit, it needs to be released, having the historical significance that it does.

There was two different boots, a 24 track boot, and a 29 track boot.  The 24 track boot was padded by including the Spielberg/Williams collaboration re-recording, and the Eric Kunzel re-recording, while the 29 track boot didn't have those but did add 6 additional cues that weren't on the first boot for whatever reason... however the entire release was 2% too fast!  If you fix the speed and arrange it all that in the proper order (and we know all the correct titles now thanks to the sheet music leak), you get a 30 minute main score program followed by 17 minutes of alternates and source music

MAIN SCORE:

1 The Sugarland Express (1:28)
2 Freedom At Last (0:45)
3 The First Chase (2:33)
4 Taking The Jump (1:45)
5 The Caravan Forms (2:02)
6 To The Roadblock (1:23)
7 Out Of Gas (1:08)
8 Trading Stamps (0:50)
9 UNKNOWN TITLE (1:37)
10 UNKNOWN TITLE (2:09)
11 The Police Cars Move (1:00)
12 Sealing The Bargain (1:28)
13 The Onlookers (1:03)
14 Setting The Trap (1:47)
15 Over The Next Hill (1:02)
16 The Last Conversation (2:00)
17 The Last Ride (3:31)
18 End Title (1:46)

TOTAL TIME - 29:17

SOURCE MUSIC:

19 Prison Yard Source (1:24)
20 Argument Music (2:23)
21 Roadrunner (0:30)
22 The Yellow Rose Of Texas (2:37)
23 11M3X (2:06)
24 11M3Y (0:53)
25 11M3Z (0:53)

TOTAL TIME - 10:46

ALTERNATES:
26 Out Of Gas (Original Version) (1:19)
27 UNKNOWN TITLE (1:50)
28 UNKNOWN TITLE (2:06)
29 The Sugarland Express (Alternate) (1:27)
TOTAL TIME - 6:42

GRAND TOTAL TIME - 46:45

3 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

We need an Evening at Pops DVD box set! Labels, make it happen please!

Yes!  I wonder where all that material is archived.  At WGBH?  The Paley Center?

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

There was two different boots, a 24 track boot, and a 29 track boot. 

Yes, the 24-one is the one I have.

Now the discussion is going all over the place, but I've actually sent off an e-mail to WGBH asking about the "Evening at Pops" programs with Williams. A few days ago. No reply as of yet.

2 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I have the one that's paired with The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing.

If memory serves, that predates the 24-track one, with inferior sound quality (relatively speaking).

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

If memory serves, that predates the 24-track one, with inferior sound quality (relatively speaking).

I can confirm that the sound quality is crappy (TMWLCD even more so).

21 minutes ago, Thor said:

I've actually sent off an e-mail to WGBH asking about the "Evening at Pops" programs with Williams. A few days ago. No reply as of yet.

I for one would be interested in their reply

So far this year we’ve had a release from the 70s, 80s, and 00s.  Could a 90s release come out on BF?!  Fingers crossed for Hook, Amistad, F&A, heck or even Angela’s Ashes!  All quality scores.

On 10/4/2019 at 12:33 PM, Thor said:

As for Williams boycotting certain titles in his catalogue, that's another issue where I'm totally torn. On the one hand, I respect his wishes as an artist; it's his right to say what he wants out there or not. On the other hand (the more egotistical one), I'm totally furious because he denies me proper access to his great music. How can he not see the quality in something like STORY OF A WOMAN or THE RARE BREED? Actually, as far as the latter is concerned, I believe he's performed a suite in concerts several times, so his boycott seems incomprehensible.

Now you understand how literally everyone else feels when it comes to OSTs versus C&C. You are like us, Thor, time to admit it! You care about unreleased music as much as the rest of us. 

• 1 month later...

Interesting that MR was tied for third place! Suckers!

Looking at this list though, wow! So many potential options for BF. I'd totally forgotten about the 50th Anniversary of The Reivers. Surely no better time to release a definitive version of that score, but you could press the same case for all the anniversary scores (of which there are plenty this year!)

Have no idea but what I would love is Angela's Ashes. I think it is such a beautiful score on so many levels.

7 hours ago, ocelot said:

Have no idea but what I would love is Angela's Ashes. I think it is such a beautiful score on so many levels.

How much unreleased music on this? I thought the album had more music than the film in this case

23 hours ago, bruckhorn said:

Just in time for the 2020 election: The John Williams / Oliver Stone Boxed Set.  The complete scores to Born on the Fourth of JulyJFK, and Nixon.  All of the Americana music to express the hope and promise of the process, the sinister music for the dirty tricks and unspoken realities of the process, and the edgy modern music to underscore the monster clusterfuck that we all know this election will devolve into.

Whaddya think?  Too bleak?

Nothing on earth today is bleaker than the pure evil and monstrosity that is the US government. 

But that doesn't mean I don't want the JW music to go with it. 

:P

I would guess any totally unreleased Williams score (eg. the Secret Ways) is not Black Friday material, right?

In that case, I would prefer too a Stone-Williams box with those 3 complete scores or just even a Nixon complete score.

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

In that case, I would prefer too a Stone-Williams box with those 3 complete scores 

Sure, I'd love that too, but that's never gonna happen. For obvious reasons. 

11 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I feel like I should stop looking forward to BF given LLL's messages about it.

That score is too recent to be given an expansion treatment, I feel like. 

Oops. I thought you meant BFG, not Black Friday. Never mind. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I'll be in hospital in the middle of an oxygen therapy session when the announcements are made, but I vow to you all that, breathing heavily and cut off from the Internet, I WILL believe in fairies!

You better stay focused on breathing! 

Karol