Anne-Sophie Mutter Stops performing Concerto in mid Concert!

Amer

Speaking of our beloved Sophie Anne, she dared to stop her concert performance and confront a millennial recording her performance. Apparently an argument ensued and Sophie threatened to end her concert performance if the recording was not stopped. WOW! I love her taking the stance for the sake of concert etiquette. (I wonder if that situation itself was recorded though ;)

Read below.

https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/violinist-anne-sophie-mutter-beethoven-smartphone/

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It's disrespectful because you're not really listening. Want to listen again? Buy the CD or listen to it on spotify.

But it won't be the same as that performance you experienced. It's great to keep a record of it that you can repeat.

50 minutes ago, Thekthithm said:

But it won't be the same as that performance you experienced. 

That's the thing, instead of really experiencing it, you were kinda busy recording it, not giving the artist your full, undivided attention. Also, amateur smartphone recordings are not capable of replicating the experience.  It's like recording movies in the theatre with your smartphone. A part of you watches, the other part is concerned with the recording, the fact that you're breaking the rules, annoying other attendees, et cetera. It's also disrespectful to the artist. Mutter is giving her all, so should you.

7 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

That's the thing, instead of really experiencing it, you were kinda busy recording it, not giving the artist your full, undivided attention. Also, amateur smartphone recordings are not capable of replicating the experience.  It's like recording movies in the theatre with your smartphone. A part of you watches, the other part is concerned with the recording, the fact that you're breaking the rules, annoying other attendees, et cetera. It's also disrespectful to the artist.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

"Sophie-Anne Mutters"? Really, Amer? :D

But yes, good on hear for doing that. Entitled millennial brats annoy the crap out of me.

You do realize that millennial now means people in their 30s, right?

Aren't millenials those people that were born on the early 1990s that today just spent their days arguing about Game of Thrones, MCU movies and Netflix series on Twitter, complaining about adulthood, buying Funkos and remembering their Harry Potter-tinged childhoods? 

I was born in 1993, but I sometimes feel very embarassed with my generation's behaviour.

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

just spent their days arguing about Game of Thrones, MCU movies and Netflix series on JWFan

Fixed!

And yes, but some of us do all that while also having jobs, mortgages, and kids!

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Aren't millenials those people that were born on the early 1990s that today just spent their days arguing about Game of Thrones, MCU movies and Netflix series on Twitter, complaining about adulthood, buying Funkos and remembering their Harry Potter-tinged childhoods? 

I was born in 1993, but I sometimes feel very embarassed with my generation's behaviour.

"Millennial" is generally regarded as about 1980-1995 roughly.

29 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Millennials are, roughly, those who graduated school in the 2000s, so born from roughly the early 80s to roughly the mid 90s.  As with any demographic cohort, there is no exact specific date that separates generations and those born near either end of the span are likely to contain qualities of the neighboring cohort as well as their own

Like I was born in 1979 and would technically be in Generation X, but I really have just as many Millennial qualities as I do Gen X qualities.  

People born in the mid to late 90s would have just as many Millennial qualities as Generation Z qualities, etc.

4 minutes ago, Thekthithm said:

It seems hard for people born after 1995 to shake off the "millennial" label for some reason. Is it because old people just think the word sounds like it's describing a juvenile in general?

Well, also I think it's kind of intuitive that millennial should mean people born around the turn of the millennium, when it's really meant to be the cohort of people who came of age around the turn of the millennium.

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

And yes, but some of us do all that while also having jobs, mortgages, and kids!

I agree about the jobs part (though that depends of which country you live - here we have a record number of unemployment), but not so much with the kids part.

https://medium.com/utopiapress/the-real-reason-millennials-are-having-less-kids-b1aec87afe4

https://www.forbes.com/sites/josephcoughlin/2018/06/11/millennials-arent-having-kids-heres-why-thats-a-problem-for-baby-boomer-real-estate-retirement/#4dc6db632058

My boss, for example, is 38 years old and just this past July he had his first son. By comparision, my father was 30 when I was born (I'm the first child).

People of my generation are having less children due to economic and political uncertainty. But I've seen most people of my age (mid-20s) just spent their days on social media.

4 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I agree about the jobs part (though that depends of which country you live - here we have a record number of unemployment), but not so much with the kids part.

https://medium.com/utopiapress/the-real-reason-millennials-are-having-less-kids-b1aec87afe4

https://www.forbes.com/sites/josephcoughlin/2018/06/11/millennials-arent-having-kids-heres-why-thats-a-problem-for-baby-boomer-real-estate-retirement/#4dc6db632058

My boss, for example, is 38 years old and just this past July he had his first son. By comparision, my father was 30 when I was born (I'm the first child).

People of my generation are having less children due to economic and political uncertainty. But I've seen most people of my age (mid-20s) just spent their days on social media.

I did say some of us, not all of us!  I had three kids between ages 26 and 30.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

You do realize that millennial now means people in their 30s, right?

Sure. But my stress was more on 'entitled' than 'millennials'.

I remember when us Generation X'ers were the best thing sinced sliced bread. :D

4 hours ago, Jay said:

o1JlM41.png

What's the mutter with you folks? 🤔😉😂

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I did say some of us, not all of us!  I had three kids between ages 26 and 30.

I've fathered 2 kids between age 43 and 46!! 

There was a “no photo” policy in Munich as well and I can say that I disregarded that completely.

We all know that most of the recordings and/or photos that we amateurs take are crap. I have some good photos of Prince and Elton John performing, thanks to me bringing a descent camera, but that’s about it.

And there are always a lot of phones in the air in any kind of concert I’ve ever been to, and I can just imagine the quality. Barely watchable, but it has sentimental value perhaps.

I’ve been to concerts where I’ve tried to get a descent picture but didn’t get it (because I’m taking pictures with my phone! Duh!) - but because of me fiddling around with my phone, I’ve ended up forgetting to enjoy the concert!

It’s definitely better to keep photography down to a minimum then, when you’re attending a concert, for many reasons.

Despite this, I hate concerts where they try to enforce a no video “no photos” policy.

Why not let anyone who wants make a video. Who cares? It’s the way of our day and age. People are looking, or people are looking through a lense.

29 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Despite this, I hate concerts where they try to enforce a no video “no photos” policy.

There's a big different between "rock" concerts, where people are talking and shouting and dancing and jumping and a camera once in a while doesn't hurt (unless it's the usual steady sea of help up phones filming everything, and at the front of the stage held up right into the performers' faces) and "classical" concerts where people are sitting and (hopefully) keeping quiet so you can fully focus on the music.

My brother just attended a Madonna concert in Brooklyn a few weeks ago and the folks there took Mobile phones from everyone and placed them in a small pouch. Very organized and controlled. 

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

People of my generation are having less children due to economic and political uncertainty. 

Not really, we just want lives of our own that aren't dominated by squealers. Plus, we're a lot more picky about who we root.