Anne-Sophie Mutter Stops performing Concerto in mid Concert!

Amer

I think Omen made some good points. The thing I like to keep in mind is that we are in a "transitional" period between generations. We have the previous generation who sees video recording as potentially rude, whereas the newer generation who simply sees it as the norm. I think as we go further into the future, the people criticizing phone usage will quickly begin to disappear, and recording things like this will become not only socially acceptable, but socially relevant. Mutter is part of a past generations, long before recording everything was the norm. She will either need to adapt to the changing dynamics of society, or end up being one of those crochety old people that saying things like "get off my lawn!".

Nice read. I think there's a happy middle ground to be found, somewhere, but I don't know what it is. I just think that embracing smartphones is more the way to go.

I can understand some concern about recording quality and infringement, and honestly, what do artists thing people are going to do with their videos? At most, post on social media where a handful of people will watch it. I've watched loads of recordings of live band performances and I know damn well that crappy sound has nothing to do with the quality of the live performance.

Let's hope future generations know how to use the night shift mode. Or the silent mode, or all the other little utilities your phone offers to not annoy your fellow men and which are never used by the people in question. While i find it a wee bit of overreaction on Mutter's part, i just can imagine how many of these bozos she had to endure during her performances, so i give her the benefit of the doubt here.

From my perspective, if I was saving the recording for replay later on my phone I wouldn't bother because the quality and sound don't match being there at the live performance. God knows how many shitty recordings people have uploaded to YouTube and I just wonder if that's their idea of sharing an experience? At that point, I'm looking at a sometimes obstructed view, shaky handling, portrait filming and sound that doesn't represent anything like what you would hear at the event.

If so many people want to save a recording of the performance, why aren't we pushing for more official coverage (CDs, DVDs, downloads etc.)? Then you can rewatch it in quality definition with proper sound. Some venues I've been to even record the performances and have it ready to go on disc/download at the end of the event.

I've seen this happen on occasion from (non-classical) musicians in smaller venues and in those cases it kills the night for everybody in the audience.  This statement doesn't really change my opinion.  One of these people is an inconsiderate audience member, and the other is ostensibly a professional. 

I've never recorded a concert or had the impulse to do so, but that last sentence of her statement is just, like, her opinion man.

What about that last line of her statement? Yeah, it's her opinion, but is it crazy? 

I've taken photos of the orchestra before a performance because I find it interesting to see the elements of the event come together, the venue, the players etc. I wouldn't proceed to film it when they're playing because then I'm worrying about all the obvious things - I don't want to disturb those around me, I can't guarantee the recording will be clear or audible (which defeats the purpose of recording it) and that I know it distracts the players. 

I just don't buy the argument that recording a concert through a phone is somehow a memento or keepsake for playback later. There are experiences in my life I can relive and think of without needing visual reference. 

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I've never recorded a concert or had the impulse to do so, but that last sentence of her statement is just, like, her opinion man.

For me, a live performance is typically a once in a lifetime moment that isn’t replicated. Capturing some photos and clips is a great way to relive a potentially kick ass version of a song I love that I’ll probably never hear again. 

Her opinion isn't crazy - nor is the opinion crazy of a person who somehow gleans enjoyment out of concerts in a different way.

I personally don't engage with concerts to have personal memories of them - in the end, they're largely disposable to me, a night of hopefully great music and the enjoyment received, and then it's over.  I tend to remember things surrounding concerts more (trips to cities, places eaten, new venues, etc).  For instance, I remember Radio City Music Hall, and I remember where I ate beforehand, and where we went afterward, and I remember walking back to our car with tons of people carrying souvenir folding chairs from WrestleMania which must have happened the same night, but I honestly couldn't tell you most of the songs Leonard Cohen played, nor can I recall a single solo from any band member.

• 3 weeks later...

The Vienna concerts are going to have a younger audience than usual, I think, so you'll probably see a lot of phones. It would be such a blow to the audience if Mutter (if she is going to play there, of course, but I am quite certain she will) decided to just walk away, effectively cancelling most of the first half of the concert. I get that some audience members can be disrespectful and annoying, but I also think that professional performers have a duty to have more patience and endurance than anyone else in the hall.

1 minute ago, Modest Expectations said:

I am a Millenial. Or even Gen-Z.

I know, that's why I put the word in quotes. I am talking about the people who cannot exist without their phones even for a couple of hours, the sort of people who want to record everything and anything for their social media. I am worried that there might be plenty of those in the Vienna concerts, and I am wary of the chaos that it could cause, especially if Mutter just decides to end it right there and then.

I am hopeful that the ushers or other concertgoers will deal with it promptly, though. 

17 hours ago, Biodome said:

I am hopeful that the ushers or other concertgoers will deal with it promptly, though. 

Very likely. There are always a few standing by the doors, who would probably notice someone holding up a phone in the front rows.

On 10/8/2019 at 11:10 AM, Koray Savas said:

For me, a live performance is typically a once in a lifetime moment that isn’t replicated. Capturing some photos and clips is a great way to relive a potentially kick ass version of a song I love that I’ll probably never hear again. 

We're talking about classical music here; you're clearly not a regular classical concertgoer. Most halls/orchestras have a strict no-phone/no-recording policy.

16 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

6FE55D64-D3F7-4917-8122-2F54FF8E7CAF.jpegStop the show! I took a picture!

Why do you not seem to understand that the rules for classical music concerts are usually different? Not sure what point you're trying to make with this pic...

23 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

6FE55D64-D3F7-4917-8122-2F54FF8E7CAF.jpegStop the show! I took a picture!

The dude with the bari sax wanted to bash your head in with his instrument! You can see it in his eyes: ever since Sophie-Mutter's bold stand, musicians everywhere have felt liberated and empowered.