Which ONE Elfman OST is essential?

Jurassic Shark

12 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Nightmare Before Christmas is his magnum opus and utterly brilliant, but perhaps not for all tastes. My favorite Elfman score however is Black Beauty, and I can’t fathom why anyone wouldn’t fall for that score’s incredible beauty. So that would be my recommendation.

Yavar

I'm not overly familiar with Beauty, but I remember checking it out some time ago. Was probably not that impressed since I remember nothing of it. :)

It's a really hard choice between Batman, Edward Scissorhands, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, and TNBC for me, but I will have to go with

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Image result for batman elfman

Batman Returns is a score that, taken apart for pieces, ranks up there, but I never really warmed to its OST configuration.

As far as giving someone an overview of the man's talents, I think it's impossible to choose one more comprehensive than Nightmare Before Christmas. It's not my favorite, but it'd be my pick. 

Are you asking for personal recommendations Shark?

5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

As far as giving someone an overview of the man's talents, I think it's impossible to choose one more comprehensive than Nightmare Before Christmas. It's not my favorite, but it'd be my pick. 

Are you asking for personal recommendations Shark?

Yes, please!

I used to check out all the Elfman I could get my hands on, both old and new, but because I much more often was disappointed than pleasantly surprised, I lost interest. This was close to 15 years ago. Now, I occasionally check out his new scores, none of which impress me much.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Now, I occasionally check out his new scores, none of which impress me much.

I think you'll find that most Elfman fans feel the same after his abduction by Philip Glass in the 2000's.

30 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Have there been certain tracks you admired from Elfman

The Batman theme is of course grrreat! But I sold the OST because it wasn't a very good listening experience to me. The Simpsons theme is also awesome. It's like Elfman exhausted himself of his most inspired works by the early 90s.

I don't think any one album by ANY composer will ever tell you enough about their output as a whole.

In Elfman's case in particular, I'd recommend starting with these two compilations:

Image result for music for a darkened theater Image result for music for a darkened theatre film and television music vol 2

Then pick up the OSTs of the ones on there you like the most, then keep going from there if you keep liking what you hear

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't think any one album by ANY composer will ever tell you enough about their output as a whole.

In Elfman's case in particular, I'd recommend starting with these two compilations:

Image result for music for a darkened theater Image result for music for a darkened theatre film and television music vol 2

Then pick up the OSTs of the ones on there you like the most, then keep going from there if you keep liking what you hear

Yeah, I checked out those, but frankly, I expected they would be better. Perhaps it's time for a reassessment.

Toss-up between EDWARD SCISSORHANDS and NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS. The first is his magnum opus, the second my favourite of his. Guess I'd say NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS if I were only to pick one.

There's nothing in Returns comparable to the sheer perfection and ridiculous badassery of Attack of the Batwing, Cathedral Chase, Waltz to the Death and the finale. Or Descent Into Mystery for that matter.

It's great in its own way, but Batman is just better. The OST is also perfect. 

Edward Scissorhands is his legacy score. The score that represents all the things that people associate with Elfman done in a single score - the beautiful themes, the kookiness, the choir, everything - it is all here in this one score.

48 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

There's nothing in Returns comparable to the sheer perfection and ridiculous badassery of Attack of the Batwing, Cathedral Chase, Waltz to the Death and the finale. Or Descent Into Mystery for that matter.

It's great in its own way, but Batman is just better. The OST is also perfect. 

But the main reason I love Elfman Batman scores isn’t for the badass action stuff, which at least describes Batwing and Cathedral Chase.  I love them for the psychological character stuff, the musical evocation of their fucked up inner lives.  Returns trumps the first one in all counts on that front.

I guess I fundamentally don’t really care much about Batman the character and so much more of Returns, musically, is given over to the more interesting characters.