World Soundtrack Awards 2019 - Marco Beltrami

Film Fest Ghent

Marco Beltrami will be guest of honour at the upcoming World Soundtrack Awards in Ghent, Belgium. Here is an overview of this year's WSA film music concerts and events on 17 and 18 October at Film Fest Gent 2019. You can find the complete programme here.

There will be two concerts - both with the Brussels Philharmonic conducted by Dirk Brossé:

Hollywood Nightmares: Scary Symphonic Scores (17 Oct.)

• with a selection of iconic and memorable scores for horror films;
  • featuring music by John Williams, Max Steiner, Franz Waxman, Bernard Herrmann, Jerry Goldsmith, Howard Shore, Wojciech Kilar, Elliot Goldenthal, Alexandre Desplat, Ennio Morricone, Elmer Bernstein, George Fenton, Daniel Hart, Roque Baños, John Barry, Shirley Walker and Marco Beltrami.

World Soundtrack Awards Gala & Concert (18 Oct.)

• with a selection of Marco Beltrami's best film scores;
  • also featuring music by WSA Lifetime Achievement Award recipients Krzysztof Penderecki and Frédéric Devreese;
  • and three pieces by WSA Discovery of the Year 2018 Tamar-kali.
  • For a complete list of the WSA nominees, many of whom will be present, see here and here.

The other film music events include:

Film Music Seminar (17 Oct.)

• with Marco Beltrami & Michaël R. Roskam (director of The Drop).

Composer Talk (17 Oct.)

• with Hildur Guðnadóttir;
  • moderated by Robert Kraft.

PS: there is only one piece by John Williams that will be played at the Hollywood Nightmares concert, but it should be worth your while. Considering that the same conductor conducted it almost one year ago, can you guess what it is?

I would have gone if I could have afforded it. It's been several years since the last time I visited the WSA (was quite the regular between 2010 and 2015).

But I have a digital version of the Beltrami recording/album that was done for the event, and it's very good. As expected. Only wish there were more of the calmer stuff, and less of the action & suspense.