MINORITY REPORT (2002) - 2019 2CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records

Disco Stu

1 hour ago, Jay said:

One is called "The Ad-Mall" as is used, well, under the ads in the mall

I could really use a Guinness...

Just now, Dixon Hill said:

Once again must applaud LLL for their efforts at putting definitive presentations of scores out there.  As an enthusiast of this later era Williams they've been especially generous to me.  There is so much material that deserves to be heard.  Glad they're making it happen. 

Yes!  Such a great creative period for him!

21 hours ago, Jay said:

They went with the cleanest poster for sure, the other two main posters are quite "busy"

I made this custom cover way back in 2003 (don't judge - I was and remain a novice). Now I will finally have the music to go with it :D

Minority Report Expanded Sleeve Front.jpg

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Seeing the emotions on-screen of Anderton and his wife grieving over the loss of Sean and how that experience ties into the entire story being told really help gel the whole score together, at least for me.

Yeah, it's really that emotional core that anchors the score.  All the more intense and moody material is fantastic, but the music around Anderton's loss is what makes the score a complete experience.

The "A New Beginning" track (the one taken from the credits, yes) was a huge favorite of mine as a teenager, so the OST never left my rotation completely.  And I was (and am) so so happy with the revised arrangement on the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration III.  That plus Escapades plus Across the Stars and the concert arrangements in Chamber, a truly amazing year for both his scores and the concert arrangements derived therefrom.  Good feelings all around! :) 

Around the time of the film / OST's release, I probably just mostly listened to Syders and Anderton's Great Escape and didn't love much of anything else.  Now I relish the entire experience, I don't really pick highlight tracks, I just go for the whole shebang.

My thoughts exactly.  In fact I'll go a step further and declare that there are scores that I intentionally do not listen to very often, if at all, depending on how they sound, i.e. Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Earthquake, etc...  Now, if these were to be remastered by MM in the future I will guarantee I'll purchase them and play them much more going forward!

This piece from Tchaikovsky is heard briefly in the movie, and it's so freaking brilliant. So peaceful, elegant, gorgeous. Almost like a balm for the soul. I heard it for the first time while watching the movie, and I've gained new appreciation for Tchaikovsky... I like to think that this piece (partially) inspired JW to write A New Beginning... The tone, the texture, as well as the orchestration, is rather similar. 

Well I must admit the leaked sessions didn't do much to make me like this score better but I'll still give it a chance. Like there wasn't any super unreleased highlights

It's got some really good highlights for me, and makes an excellent 40 minute or so album, divided between the emotional Sean material, and the action highlights.

The parts of the score that do nothing for me are the underscore parts such as the Dr Eddie sequence and the greenhouse. I've tried so many times to find something interesting in those parts and just can't.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

It's also impressive to me that JW did this directly after Attack of the Clones and just before Harry Potter 2 and Catch Me If You Can.  What a fertile year!

And he repeated the feat three years later in 2005 with four scores of equal quality: Memoirs of a Geisha, Munich, Revenge of the Sith and War of the Worlds.

I think for a lot of people, myself included, the problem with Minority Report score has nothing to do with the score as such but with the somewhat poorly put together album. Not only did it not sound great but the actual sequencing, editing and even running time work against it I really like the movie, it's one of the most underrated Spielberg films. True, it slightly betrays Philip K. Dick here and there in favour of a more audience-friendly experience. But as far as 21st century Spielberg goes, it is prime entertainment. I've seen bits and bobs of it quite recently and it looks just as fun as it was back in 2002. It has aged really well. I'm really excited about the set regardless of my reservation towards the original album.

Karol

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

I think for a lot of people, myself included, the problem with Minority Report score has nothing to do with the score as such but with the somewhat poorly put together album. Not only did it not sound great but the actual sequencing, editing and even running time work against it

Perhaps, but the poor sound (from Shawn Murphy's mushy period) has always been a major distraction for me.

The sound is really not up to par. But given A. I.'s recent LLL release, i'm afraid there's not that much they can do. A. I. sounds significantly better, but still drenched in too much reverb/bass.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

The sound is really not up to par. But given A. I.'s recent LLL release, i'm afraid there's not that much they can do. A. I. sounds significantly better, but still drenched in too much reverb/bass.

At least the new A.I. sounds good enough for me to focus on the music without being bothered by the sound to the point of distraction.

18 hours ago, Josh500 said:

This piece from Tchaikovsky is heard briefly in the movie, and it's so freaking brilliant. So peaceful, elegant, gorgeous. Almost like a balm for the soul. I heard it for the first time while watching the movie, and I've gained new appreciation for Tchaikovsky... I like to think that this piece (partially) inspired JW to write A New Beginning... The tone, the texture, as well as the orchestration, is rather similar. 

Did you also check the rest of Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony? It's truly one of the most beautiful symphonies of all times. The second theme of the first movement might be the grandfather of all the most lyrical love themes written for movie scores!

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Some tracks from A.I. also have noticable hissing. I never paid attention to the allegedly bad sound.

One of my favourite cues 'What is Your Wish?' has a faint hiss like the volume was turned way up. 

Shawn Murphy and JW were simply not a good collaboration. Bruce Botnick and JG, Shawn Murphy and JH...perfect. There are some exceptions to the rule, but historically, JW scores aren't recorded or mixed well.

2 hours ago, Score said:

Did you also check the rest of Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony? It's truly one of the most beautiful symphonies of all times. The second theme of the first movement might be the grandfather of all the most lyrical love themes written for movie scores!

Indeed I did. 

I was a fan of Tchaikovsky even before I knew of this piece, but listening to this gem made me admire and study his works even more. Somehow I'm convinced JW has a great admiration for him as well. In fact, the entire score of Home Alone could be considered an homage to Tchaikovsky's "The Nutcracker" ! 

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

listening to Tchaikovsky 6th 1 st movement on you tube

nope, JW writes better love themes

The issue is not who is better. 

The point is, both are absolutely fantastic! 

25 minutes ago, Obi said:

Only 3 pages for this awesome news ? What's happening here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps I can extend the length of the conversation then...

Jay, can we be sure this release is definitive? :D

On 10/5/2019 at 10:24 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

That's just Shawn saying shhh in the background.

So it was him in Catch Me If You Can?

dun....da da da dun..... shh!            dun....da da da dun..... shh!