MINORITY REPORT (2002) - 2019 2CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records

Disco Stu

@Jay Are you able to confirm whether Schubert's 8th Symphony (used when Anderton witnesses his crime) was taken wholesale from the Kleiber/Vienna recording listed in the end credits? It's a very well done edit if there was no additional material recorded by Williams to make it all fit the scene.

There's a seemingly related but unused cue 2M6B Schubert Collage that has no place in the final cut of the film, because the preceding and following cues are used back to back in the final cut (2M6A Elevator Confrontation to 3M1 Anderton On The Run).

I assume this will all be covered in the liner notes, so no worries if you can't say anything yet.

Looking forward! Definitely was excited by the film and score when they arrived, and as an older fan felt reengaged with early 00s SS/JW. Haven't seen the film since the theatre and maybe a Blockbuster rental (lol). The OST has sat just inside my top 25 JW, but it's not a great program (I was so over JW's track 1 medleys by then) and the sound is hit and miss. I'm sure I'll be all over this expansion. Sean's Theme is so moving, and I connected with it in a different way once I experienced the vulnerable feeling of parenthood. Anderton's Great Escape is one of his best action cues of the past 20 years. Was he or SS making noises at the time about this being a monochromatic score like Herrmann's Psycho? It certainly has strong touches of Herrmann (so did AOTC in one or two places), and was dark and grainy for the most part, but far from monochromatic. Maybe in comparison to his more predominant neoromantic work, but hardly alone in that sense.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

whether Schubert's 8th Symphony (used when Anderton witnesses his crime) was taken wholesale from the Kleiber/Vienna recording listed in the end credits? It's a very well done edit if there was no additional material recorded by Williams to make it all fit the scene.

I'd assume it was

There's a seemingly related but unused cue 2M6B Schubert Collage that has no place in the final cut of the film, because the preceding and following cues are used back to back in the final cut (2M6A Elevator Confrontation to 3M1 Anderton On The Run).

I'm guessing the B in 2M6B was not because it was intended to go after 2M6A, but because it was an idea as an alternate to 2M6, which was probably the cue number assigned to the Schubert recording. Like maybe they thought about replacing part or enhancing part with it with this new cue,  then didn't go with it. 

Just speculation on my part, no inside info or anything. 

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Are you able to confirm whether Schubert's 8th Symphony (used when Anderton witnesses his crime) was taken wholesale from the Kleiber/Vienna recording listed in the end credits? It's a very well done edit if there was no additional material recorded by Williams to make it all fit the scene.

To be honest with you I remember watching this in high school thinking that the edit was really noticeable. A highly effective and worthy addition to the "8th Symphony as Film Music" catalogue though!

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

To be honest with you I remember watching this in high school thinking that the edit was really noticeable. A highly effective and worthy addition to the "8th Symphony as Film Music" catalogue though!

I'm not overly familiar with the piece from which it was derived, so I guess the edits seemed more invisible to me. But I would have believed Williams adapted it to fit the scene if I'd been told as much. 

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

A lot of people who are into classical music. But instead of listening to the butchered edit from the film, better get the whole thing:

116471899.jpg

Forget it Jurassic Shark, it's KM. 

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

A lot of people who are into classical music. But instead of listening to the butchered edit from the film, better get the whole thing:

116471899.jpg

I mean how lazy is this Shoe Bert? He never even finished the 8th symphony. What a bum! In the same category with Moe Zart! Like totally unlistenable!

21 minutes ago, Dixon Hill said:

Forget it Jurassic Shark, it's KM. 

Yeah, I've noticed his mind's quite closed to classical music, even when it sounds like film music, just like Jay's. It's like the music gets infinitely more interesting if it has accompanied some moving puctures. I don't get it.

19 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I mean how lazy is this Shoe Bert? He never even finished the 8th symphony. What a bum! In the same category with Moe Zart! 

I once read some musicological research on the fate of the unfinished. Through letters they discovered that when Shoe Bert was thinking about writing the last two movements of the 8th, he was distracted by a woman and the possibility of intercourse. Bye-bye symphony!

39 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Missing teeth, etc...

Yeah will Cruise on the cover be missing any teeth and will the CD case be missing any teeth. It's Toothgate all over again!

2 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

If he takes the bandages off, he'll go blind!

Never scratch!

I just cannot recall that I saw this movie more than once - and that was in the theater when it arrived. I guess I have seen snippets on TV at times. I actually liked the movie, but I remember the overall sadness (probably due to Sean's Theme) of it. Having the official expanded score will of course get me to watch again. 

It was a very formative sci fi film for me as a teen.  I saw it in theaters with my dad when I was 15, we both loved it, and then I probably watched it at least 20 times on DVD by the time I graduated high school.

I saw the movie when it came out (unusually - I had the chance to go and took it, rather than actively wanting to see it) and didn't really follow what was going on.

I then saw it again maybe a decade ago and understood the plot and the story and actually enjoyed it. Although I think the title is rubbish, the whole idea of a 'minority report' where you see an 'echo' of something...? That's not a strong story point IMO.

I listened again to The Greenhouse Effect on an above recommendation.. Sorry, still don't get it. I'll stick to listening to Anderton's Great Escape on loop :)

Bridge of Spies was the last film he made that was close to the same level, with dramatic and thematic meat on the bones to chew over.  Maybe not "dark" like Minority Report, but certainly complex entertainment for grown ups.

I worked in a movie theater at the time and saw it a few times for free.  Haven't seen it since.  I felt like it was an excellent sci-fi concept with great setpieces, but if I recall correctly I thought that it fell apart a bit toward the end.  Maybe I'm due for a rewatch and some new appreciation.  Either way, great score.

43 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I worked in a movie theater at the time and saw it a few times for free.  Haven't seen it since.  I felt like it was an excellent sci-fi concept with great setpieces, but if I recall correctly I thought that it fell apart a bit toward the end.  Maybe I'm due for a rewatch and some new appreciation.  Either way, great score.

Don't be surprised to see your reaction change because you're a father now.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I had a whole new take on it seeing it in my late 30s compared to when I saw it when it came out and I was 22

We now know Jay is an *elder millennial* (though young at heart) or perhaps a cusp gen-Xer :)

6 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I then saw it again maybe a decade ago

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I had a whole new take on it seeing it in my late 30s compared to when I saw it when it came out and I was 22

Stop kidding. The film can't be older than 7 or 8 years. It's from the new millennium after all.