Martin Scorsese says Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Quintus

31 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

If it was one every year or two It’d be fine but it constantly seems as if there’s one in the cinema. And if there isn’t there’s a bloody shit rushed DC attempt instead 

And even outside the superhero genre, Marvel’s brand of sarcastic comedy is overtaking the whole of Hollywood.

Yeah, that's because there's hardly anything besides them nowadays. There was a lot of that joke-y style, from Turtles movies to Last Boy Scout, Dumb and Dumber, Loaded Weapon, Evil Dead III, Bad Boys, Men in Black, Rush Hour and and and.

Jennifer Aniston (Friends) agrees with Scorsese:

“You’re seeing what’s available out there and it’s just diminishing and diminishing in terms of, it’s big Marvel movies, or things that I’m not just asked to do or really that interested in living in a green screen. I just think it would be nice to go into a movie theatre, sit cozy. I think we should have a resurgence. Let’s get the ‘Terms Of Endearment’ back out there. You know, ‘Heaven Can Wait’, ‘Young Frankenstein’, ‘Blazing Saddles’, ‘Goodbye Girl’.”

That settles it then. Marvel has diminished cinema.

19 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Jennifer Aniston (Friends) agrees with Scorsese:

That settles it then. Marvel has diminished cinema.

Actress who was happy to do a sitcom for 10 years and be in several identikit rom-coms is now complaining about lack of choice?

Riiiiiiiiiiight.  

42 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Actress who was happy to do a sitcom for 10 years and be in several identikit rom-coms is now complaining about lack of choice?

Riiiiiiiiiiight.  

Of course, she's talking as a viewer, not as an actress. 

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Riiiiiiiiiiight.  

Aniston is 100% right, this is just a textbook Tu Quoque fallacy. Just because her argument is hypocritical, doesn't make it wrong. Its a case of "do what I say, not what I do."

Besides, romcoms are a genre, which you can take or leave. The MCU isn't a genre, its a single film series. It has no artistic/narrative justification to keep chugging along.

On 10/4/2019 at 7:35 PM, Quintus said:

Martin Scorsese says Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Someone in the industry had to say it and I can't think of anyone better!

Haven't seen a single Marvel movie. But you know what's also 'not cinema'? Producing movies with Netflix and having only a limited cinema release, that is. 

I always liked using italics because there were a lot of things I wanted to emphasize and I didn’t know if my ramblings were clear otherwise. But I started avoiding them after I read some book or article on writing (can’t remember who but it was one of my favorites) and they ruthlessly made fun of italics and ALL CAPS. Something about them being for the weak and lazy lmao, also words like “very.” Might have been William Goldman. It made me feel bad. 

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

I didn't get through season 2. Given its status, it was honestly one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Very much so. On the other hand, I've watching Breaking Bad and that one is more deserving of its reputation, for once

1 hour ago, lemoncurd said:

Haven't seen a single Marvel movie. But you know what's also 'not cinema'? Producing movies with Netflix and having only a limited cinema release, that is. 

Sure it is. It's the next step in cinema. 

Cinema:

the production of films as an art or industry

- the art or technique of making motion pictures

Scorsese won't back down on his statements:

Scorsese: “Theaters have become amusement parks. That is all fine and good but don’t invade everything else in that sense. … That is fine and good for those who enjoy that type of film and, by the way, knowing what goes into them now, I admire what they do. It’s not my kind of thing; it simply is not. It’s creating another kind of audience that thinks cinema is that.”

Scorsese: “It’s not cinema, it’s something else. We shouldn’t be invaded by it. We need cinemas to step up and show films that are narrative films.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/martin-scorsese-marvel-irishman-1202181152/

Oh good lord, are we discussing the semantics of "cinema" based on venue, adhering to the most technically narrow and archaic sense possible? 

7 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I always liked using italics because there were a lot of things I wanted to emphasize and I didn’t know if my ramblings were clear otherwise. But I started avoiding them after I read some book or article on writing (can’t remember who but it was one of my favorites) and they ruthlessly made fun of italics and ALL CAPS. Something about them being for the weak and lazy lmao, also words like “very.” Might have been William Goldman. It made me feel bad. 

I don't think italics are lazy per se, I think they can be very useful in trying to articulate the vocal nuances of what you're trying to say. When I was young and newer to English, I was taught the "said is dead" rule, and wouldn't you know it?, everything I wrote for the next two years had words like "queried" and "declared" to avoid the word...all of which was a much greater offense. Know what I mean? 

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Oh good lord, are we discussing the semantics of "cinema" based on venue, adhering to the most technically narrow and archaic sense possible? 

Yes, if you define the setting of watching netflix on a computer or tablet in a living / bed room as a venue ;) 

All I'm saying is that to me (and I think to many other people as well) the absence of any third stimulation (beyond the actually movie) inside a cinema theatre is unique and crucial for the art form cinema. 

14 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Yes! God I hate that awful show!

Yes!

The problem with a lot of Netflix content is you can tell the creative decisions are driven by algorithms. Oh you like The Goonies and ET? Here, you might like this show called Stranger Things.

Yes!!

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

That story has a great twist at the end that only Hitchcock could deliver! And I remember reading quotes from Hitchcock praising Jaws, unless they were fabricated.

Also, I think the author is drawing false parallels between that situation and the one Scorsese has going on right now.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

I remember reading quotes from Hitchcock praising Jaws, unless they were fabricated.

Yeah, I remember those too. Something about the naturalness of the blocking, if memory serves me well.

At least it wasn't Sir David Lean who said of Spielberg "who the hell does he think he is?!"