1. 1. what sub forums do you never visit

• John Williams
    • General Discussion
    • Other topics
    • Tolkien Central
    • The Marketplace
    • JWfan Reviews
    • Welcome!

There's no reason to click open individual forums since we got the Unread Content button. Just open that and read the threads you wanna read and ignore the rest. 

I mostly visit just the upper two. Sometimes, though very rarely, the OT. Tolkien subforum I check once in a blue moon. The other ones I'm not visiting at all.

Karol

4 hours ago, Jay said:

There's no reason to click open individual forums since we got the Unread Content button. Just open that and read the threads you wanna read and ignore the rest. 

Never done that. Never will.

I never understood the whole purpose of watering down one of the older forum's strongest thread's by splitting off its reviews into their own section. I'd understand if this was a large community message board destination with hundreds of active participants, but in reality it feels like the place is kept alive by about twenty dedicated users and the film thread is bumped occasionally by about eight of them.

27 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I never understood the whole purpose of watering down one of the older forum's strongest thread's by splitting off its reviews into their own section. I'd understand if this was a large community message board destination with hundreds of active participants, but in reality it feels like the place is kept alive by about twenty dedicated users and the film thread is bumped occasionally by about eight of them.

Our Moderator has OCD, so it's helpful for him to have everything neatly categorised and ordered.

31 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The original idea, as far as I remember, was to give members with the opportunity to present their writing in a more presentable way. Normally, these kinds of things might get lost in the middle of 100-page threads and some of these reviews were really excellent reads. Originally, I supported this (that was about 10 years ago?). But yes, it sort of fizzled out quickly.

Karol

Since going over to mobile viewing for all internet consumption, my JWFan landing page has been New Content for a few years now. It's less page loading and it can be a pretty nifty way to navigate the forum a lot of the time, but the downside was I would also have to scroll through a lot of boring dreck from the other subs, and it has inevitably caused me to miss more interesting content more times than I care to remember.

In recent times though, my habits here have become more impatient, and if I see nothing of interest after a single thumbscroll or two, I just navigate away from the site.

"General Discussions" and "John Williams" are the only two I visit regularly, although there aren't a lot of topics/threads in either that I click on. My interests go a little counter to the majority here (that would actually be a more interesting subject, i.e. which types of threads we click on and don't).

"Other Topics" and "Marketplace" I visit once in a while. "Welcome" very rarely, and "Tolkien" and "JWFAN Reviews" never.

I always go to JW, GD, and OT and glance at what the top few unread threads are. Some of the most frequently bumped topics I’ve never read, though.

I’ve visited the others but I have to be really bored.

John Williams and General Discussion - always

JWFan Reviews, Other Topics and The Marketplace - almost never

Welcome! and Tolkien Central - absolutely never

I don't why there is an especial subforum for Lord of the Rings, but no Goldsmith subforum.

The Tolkien forum was created while the Hobbit movies were coming out and everyone was complaining that GD was overrun with Tolkien threads. So it was split off to accommodate people who didn’t want to wade through all of that. 

The fact that it’s been inactive for so long and now people apparently wonder why it has its own “special” forum and not their favorite thing is probably an indication it could be merged back. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Just delete the Tolkien subforum!

Please, don't! There's a lot of discussions regarding the Shore Middle Earth scores that I still need to read!

And I like the review subforum too, even before joining JWFan. I mean, one of my favorite hobbies is listening to a score while reading Incanus' detailed cue by cue breakdown.

Merging the Tolkien subforum back is pointless. The new Amazon series will breathe life into it again and having it all in one place  and not scattered throughout GD is extremely convenient.

There's a number of extremely well thought-out and well written score and film reviews and analyses. Anyone who hasn't visited it should take the time to read over some of the threads within.

18 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Our Moderator has OCD, so it's helpful for him to have everything neatly categorised and ordered.

It's funny you think that because it's literally the opposite of reality. I just open Unread Content and read the threads I wanna read, and ignore the rest. I'd have no clue what subforum a thread is actually in unless someone asked to move it. 

11 hours ago, Jay said:

It's funny you think that because it's literally the opposite of reality. I just open Unread Content and read the threads I wanna read, and ignore the rest. I'd have no clue what subforum a thread is actually in unless someone asked to move it. 

You don't read every single post?! :blink:

16 hours ago, Jay said:

I’d say this isn’t entirely true because at times people will post JW-related news in GD and you always move it to the JW sub-forum. 

27 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I’d say this isn’t entirely true because at times people will post JW-related news in GD and you always move it to the JW sub-forum. 

I cannot recall anything like that happening for years now.  Do you have any examples?