Jump to content
Docteur Qui

The Rise of Skywalker end credits is 300 bars long

Recommended Posts

ROTS end credits are about 300 bars.  Seems to fit.  Taping that stuff together is surprisingly hard, one wrong move really screws you up.

 

17 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

 

Trinary-Gif.gif

 

The effort behind this is inspiring.  Making gifs still eludes me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dixon Hill said:

Taping that stuff together is surprisingly hard, one wrong move really screws you up.

 

And people worry that robots will take our jobs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

 

The visible section of 1M14 doesn't appear to feature any known themes:

 

Some sections of the standard end credits beginning appear to be visible on some of the parts they're taping together. This is probably a flute part:

 

image.png

 

image.png

 

As blurry as that is, at the end of the fourth line, I can even just make out the change back to 4/4! (That's where the part says 'A Little More Deliberate'.)

 

 

1m1a was 'Starry Night' in The Force Awakens, the music right after the main title.

 

Amazing detective work @BrotherSound

 

Extrapolating from your work above, it appears those 6 bars Williams omitted from the top of the end credits fanfare (the second cluster of Rebel Fanfares after the introductory Luke's Theme) have not been reinstated for the final score.

 

Bit of a shame considering it's the final suite of the saga (and possibly the last time we'll hear the Rebel Fanfare) but insignificant considering the ~280 bars of music that follows!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, crumbs said:

 

Amazing detective work @BrotherSound

 

Extrapolating from your work above, it appears those 6 bars Williams omitted from the top of the end credits fanfare (the second cluster of Rebel Fanfares after the introductory Luke's Theme) have not been reinstated for the final score.

 

Bit of a shame considering it's the final suite of the saga (and possibly the last time we'll hear the Rebel Fanfare) but insignificant considering the ~280 bars of music that follows!


That’s right! There’d have to be at least 7 measures on that line to include that bit, and these parts usually only have 3-4.

 

So, I’d expect to hear that same version of the end credits opening as TFA and TFJ with only one Rebel Fanfare statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 6:13 AM, Sandor said:

There are substantial rumors floating around that indicate that the original opening scene has recently been completely replaced.

If the rumors of what have been reshoot is true then a lot of the plot elements have been changed. So I think Williams have a lot of rescoreing to do. 

Rumors has it that the original opening will appere later in the film. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really want to think of these major reshoots as part the filmmakers’ all-out efforts to give us an unforgettable cinematic Xmas gift rather than indicating serious problems with this final episode. 
 

This is Disney, after all. They have more money than God. Major reshoots are probably no big deal for them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arpy said:

This is Williams every Christmas:

pencil.PNG

JJ: "you originally scored this with Yoda's theme, but he is no longer in the scene due to reshoots."  JW: "One, I don't know who 'Yoda' is; two, I do not like you; three, the cue is perfect, and you will not say otherwise your career (such as it is) is done."  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JJ: Hey Johnny, I know you scored the ending in April with a huge choral rendition of the Emperor's Theme when he blows up the Falcon with Force Lightning, but we've reshot the ending so Luke blows up the Emperor's head using Force Telepathy and Han Solo's resurrected ghost decapitates Kylo Ren using a Light Whip he found in the Spice Mines of Kessel. We're thinking The Imperial March would work great here!

JW: Just play it backwards. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

The more reshoots, the more Williams music in total. Bring it on, JJ.

 

 

Yeah, but even if Williams records 5 hours of material for this movie, we will only have the 76 minutes OST for a very long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Well we did get an isolated score for The Last Jedi after only 5 months, plus FYCs for both films that contained extra music almost immediately. 

  extreme luck. We could also end up in a Prequel situation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s the source of all the reshoot rumors? I heard about a few beginning of september, but are there reports of more?

 

Btw, the fact they’re recording the end credits now makes me think they’re done with recording.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Remco said:

What’s the source of all the reshoot rumors? I heard about a few beginning of september, but are there reports of more?

 

Btw, the fact they’re recording the end credits now makes me think they’re done with recording.

There are the SW "leak" sites that are reporting it.  While the evidence is suspect, chances are there have been some late reshoots.  However, I doubt they are major.  My guess is that the score is all but done.  Maybe a scene or two rescored (or maybe just edits to an existing cue).    I do like that Williams waited until the end to do the end credits (same as VII).  I really doubt VIII's was a thought-out late piece.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I feel bad for Williams possibly being in an even worse rescoring situation than TFA and under more severe time constraints. 

 

They were still recording in mid-November for TFA! I’d be surprised if it goes that late again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing the credits were being sent out mid-week to musicians for studying, then they'll record early next week. Williams will probably score any new scenes/re-writes in the next few weeks and record those in early November. Should just about do it.

 

I would expect any concert suites were recorded early in the sessions, barring a revision like Rey's Theme had on TFA (recorded in November I think).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Remco said:

Btw, the fact they’re recording the end credits now makes me think they’re done with recording.

 

It doesn't work that way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'm guessing the credits were being sent out mid-week to musicians for studying, then they'll record early next week.


Parts are often prepped to record the next day, or even the same day! Those parts never leave the studio: the musicians come in and read it down. One or two run-throughs, maybe touch up a spot or two, and then that red light is on and it’s time to record. 
 

It’s a pretty specialized skill, even in the music world. Even a lot of musicians with top symphonies don’t have the kind of sight-reading skills that demands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

It's crazy that a certain number of people have heard the majority of John Williams's ninth Star Wars score. They are living in that world right now.

And in a few months we'll all hear the majority of John Williams' ninth Star Wars score!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrotherSound said:

Parts are often prepped to record the next day, or even the same day! Those parts never leave the studio: the musicians come in and read it down. One or two run-throughs, maybe touch up a spot or two, and then that red light is on and it’s time to record. 

 

The principal french horn player on TFA and TLJ said it wasn't unusual to receive cues days in advance of those sessions to rehearse them (John especially wanted difficult parts rehearsed before the sessions -- that trumpet in Rey's Journey being a good example).

 

Considering the length of this credits suite alone, it seems a perfect example for why musicians would get music in advance -- especially if he intends to record the entire cue without breaking it into parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrotherSound said:


Parts are often prepped to record the next day, or even the same day! 

 

From what I've heard, music is only given to musicians in advance when their part is particularly difficult. Randy Kurber said in an interview he was given the celeste parts for Hedwig's Theme a few days in advance so he could work on it. So yeah, normal practice is the musicians see the music when they arrive at the studio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, pete said:

 

From what I've heard, music is only given to musicians in advance when their part is particularly difficult. Randy Kurber said in an interview he was given the celeste parts for Hedwig's Theme a few days in advance so he could work on it. So yeah, normal practice is the musicians see the music when they arrive at the studio.

 
Yep, Randy Kerber mentioned he knew that part was going to be a monster when he learned they would send it to him in advance, because of how unusual that is. The poor violins did not, though!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...