Saving Private Ryan vs. Lincoln

Josh500

Saving Private Ryan vs. Lincoln  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which SCORE do you personally prefer?

2. 2. Which MOVIE do you personally prefer?

Both movies are concerned with certain aspects of US history, which means both films include music typical of the United States, or Americana (many trumpet and horn solos, as well as string music). Both movies are also about patriotism. Personally, I'm not a big fan of this topic, but arguably, these movies are among the best of their kind. 

I'll say, SPR on both counts. I vastly prefer the movie SPR over Lincoln, while I give the score of SPR a slight edge over the score of Lincoln. Just more enjoyable and touching. 

Lincoln is a late bloomer, I like it more and more each time I listen. SPR is nice, but aside from the Hymn, I don't find much replay value, sadly. 

Movies: I really liked Lincoln, wasn't overly enamoured at all with SPR.

Love the Lincoln OST, never had a drive to listen to SPR outside the Spielberg/Williams III HttF.

54 minutes ago, Arpy said:

SPR is nice, but aside from the Hymn, I don't find much replay value, sadly. 

"Omaha Beach" and "The Last Battle."

Maybe it takes time to "get" these, but once you do... Oh boy. JW in top form! Among the very best cues of his career! 

I tried to watch Lincoln a couple of times but fell asleep both times. So SPR wins.

The score....hmm... Lincoln us growing on me but I'm still not the greatest admirer of Williams' Americana. Something about it feels dramatically too manipulative and therefore somewhat dishonest. SPR is not as enjoyable on album but I feel that it really enhances the film without ever trying to make too much of a point. Plus I really love the raw quality of the performance and recording. So it wins too yet again.

Karol

Anybody who doubts the greatness of SPR the score, just watch this entire ending (over and over again, if necessary)! One cannot help but be impressed with JW's musical genius... Strings, trumpets, horns, etc. Just wow! 

2 minutes ago, Arpy said:

They're both schmaltzy, syrupy scores in places. 

The scene is maybe a bit corny, but the music is definitely not. Emotional and heart-warming, but not corny. 

Eh, sometimes I find it a little sappy, especially in Lincoln and parts of The Post. Maybe that's on both Spielberg and Williams, but it felt too contrived as if the emotions were forced rather than guided.

There's a post for the Unpopular Opinions thread...

The Patriot, which is like SPR and Lincoln, but with action music! lol

Just kidding. Between these two, movie is Saving Private Ryan, and score is Lincoln. I have fond memories of listening to the Lincoln OST for the first time and thinking it was very touching, a masterpiece. As for SPR, I have to relisten to the album once again to form a more definitive opinion, because I can't remember anything besides Hymn for the Fallen.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Lincoln is the better score, it's one of the best scores he's ever written, with many of the best themes he's ever written.  It works wonderfully in the film, and boy is it a great listening experience outside the film, whether it be OST configuration, FYC configuration, or a fan edit combining the two.

The score made me love the Americana, which I considered impossible.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

As for movies, Saving Private Ryan is just a terrific movie.  Spielberg really nailed everything he was going for.  It holds up so well to this day, and you can see the influence it had on practically all war movies that followed.

Some clever people say it's a hopelessly patriotic war hero flick, but Spielberg consequently denies to depict war acts as heroic deeds.

5 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Some clever people say it's a hopelessly patriotic war hero flick

Anyone who says that has either not seen the movie or decided on having that opinion before seeing it.

Same for anyone who says Lincoln is jingoistic or hagiographic.  To see a Lincoln hagiography done well, just watch John Ford's brilliant Young Mr. Lincoln from 1939.

I have to admit I don't like the movie War Horse very much, despite my usually being more on board for late Spielberg than most.  On paper it is ticking many of my boxes: an emotional period piece epic borne of Spielberg's love of Wyler, Ford, and others.  But it just didn't work for me.  The characters never really came alive I think.

The scores for both War Horse and Lincoln are jaw-dropping, and I would pick Lincoln for entirely personal sentimental reasons.

Lincoln is a movie that has really benefited from multiple viewings. SPR might have a much bigger impact on first viewing, but I find Lincoln more rewarding in the long run. And the score is a treasure chest of riches

Oh I dunno.  I've felt SPR to become more and more enriched on subsequent viewings.  I saw it twice in the theater, once or twice on DVD and twice on Blu and have just continued to enjoy the hell out of it more and more all the time.

It's one of my weirdo things, but SPR is one of my favorite Williams scores period.  Lincoln is fine, but I can't not vote SPR.

Haven't seen the Lincoln movie, but had to pick SPR for that one in order to register my vote.

In this case, there's no competition -- SPR all the way. The film blew me away when I first saw it, and it's continued to grow in appreciation on every subsequent viewing. LINCOLN was a fine movie, but the first viewing was rather lukewarm; too much information-heavy dialogue. But repeated viewings have raised my appreciation considerably; especially what Kaminski does with the cinematography.

Both films are currently on Netflix, so check them out if you don't already own them or have seen them.

In terms of score, I was not particularly enamoured with SPR when I first got the soundtrack in the 90s. I was into the more upbeat adventure stylings of Williams at the time, and the sober, slow Americana of this didn't do much for me. However, as with ALWAYS, it has grown considerably in appreciation as I've gotten older. 

The LINCOLN score is fine for what it is -- solemn Americana which Williams can do in his sleep. But as with all of his post-2005 output, it's never managed to rise much higher. Then again, I haven't played it that much. Maybe some 5-6 times in total. Perhaps I'll come to like it more in the future.

36 minutes ago, Richard said:

(spoiler alert) yes, Wade did die. That's why it's called WADE'S DEATH :)

It was the era of "Qui Gonn's Noble End" and "The Death of Thomas". Man, JW really loved spoiling the death of supporting characters on his OST albums back then!

36 minutes ago, Thor said:

Both films are currently on Netflix, so check them out if you don't already own them or have seen them.

Maybe in your country.  Every country's different!

6 hours ago, mstrox said:

It's one of my weirdo things, but SPR is one of my favorite Williams scores period.  

Why would you think it's one of your weirdo things, if you like SPR? Just because the consensus doesn't seem to agree with you?

Are you, by any chance, from the USA? 

5 hours ago, Thor said:

In this case, there's no competition -- SPR all the way. The film blew me away when I first saw it, and it's continued to grow in appreciation on every subsequent viewing. LINCOLN was a fine movie, but the first viewing was rather lukewarm; too much information-heavy dialogue. But repeated viewings have raised my appreciation considerably; especially what Kaminski does with the cinematography.

In terms of score, I was not particularly enamoured with SPR when I first got the soundtrack in the 90s. I was into the more upbeat adventure stylings of Williams at the time, and the sober, slow Americana of this didn't do much for me. However, as with ALWAYS, it has grown considerably in appreciation as I've gotten older. 

The LINCOLN score is fine for what it is -- solemn Americana which Williams can do in his sleep. But as with all of his post-2005 output, it's never managed to rise much higher. 

I agree with this (almost) 100%!

5 hours ago, Richard said:

WADE'S DEATH is incredibly moving, especially when underscoring Captain Miller sobbing his heart out.

You mean the movie scene or the score? 

I gotta relisten to that track, SPR is one of my all-time favourite scores, but this track doesn't strike me as one of the highlights. At least, so far. 

Lincoln is the better film. But it's a bit boring. And that might even be part of the point and design. It's one of the best films about the bedrock of America as a country - which is basically the Constitution and the incremental changes made to improve society legislatively. It is also unfathomably stirring because I mean come on, what is more important than the abolition of slavery.

The album is a masterpiece but the film score is not. Because little of the album is in the film.

6 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

... because I mean come on, what is more important than the abolition of slavery.

Uh, maybe, the defeat of the Nazis? (Where the US definitely helped at the end.)

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Why would you think it's one of your weirdo things, if you like SPR? Just because the consensus doesn't seem to agree with you?

Are you, by any chance, from the USA? 

Weird because I know it’s not on anyone else’s top five Williams list that I’m aware of.  I’m from Earth.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

Weird because I know it’s not on anyone else’s top five Williams list that I’m aware of.  

You might be underestimating SPR. Considering the popularity of the movie, I'm sure there are many people who adore the score, especially the piece "Hymn to the Fallen," which continues to be performed on many occasions around the world....

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

I’m from Earth.

Okay! 

15 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It's insanely good.

Indeed it is! 

18 hours ago, Arpy said:

Next poll @Josh500 Lincoln vs. War Horse!

Nah. But I remember I once did War Horse vs. The Adventures of Tintin

Not because they're so similar (haha), but they came out so close after one another, and they're both so freaking brilliant in their own way. 

I'm gonna revisit Lincoln the score this weekend. I find "Malice" touching and memorable, and the other themes are serviceable enough, but the score as a whole just didn't make a great impact on me... 

Maybe it's because I watched the movie only once (and that was enough)!?