War Horse vs. Lincoln

Arpy

War Horse vs. Lincoln  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which score do you prefer?

2. 2. Which film do you prefer?

19 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I have to admit I don't like the movie War Horse very much, despite my usually being more on board for late Spielberg than most.  On paper it is ticking many of my boxes: an emotional period piece epic borne of Spielberg's love of Wyler, Ford, and others.  But it just didn't work for me.  The characters never really came alive I think.

The scores for both War Horse and Lincoln are jaw-dropping, and I would pick Lincoln for entirely personal sentimental reasons.

Very tough choice, since they're neck and neck, pretty similar types of scores. A few of the themes could even be swapped and still be effective in the opposite films. Both give me feels but Lincoln (score) gives me MORE feels.

The movies are both good but both lacking something.

I'm not at all criticizing anyone's opinion, I find it genuinely interesting how individual experiences of films/music can be so incredibly different.

Lincoln is in my top 5 Spielberg films!

Scorewise I do love WAR HORSE.  Haven't seen the Lincoln movie, but I had to vote for something to register my score vote so I also voted WAR HORSE.  The movie itself is pretty okay, but with an amazing centerpiece in No Man's Land.

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Scorewise I do love WAR HORSE.  Haven't seen the Lincoln movie, but I had to vote for something to register my score vote so I also voted WAR HORSE.  The movie itself is pretty okay, but with an amazing centerpiece in No Man's Land.

Phwoar Horse

For scores, I choose War Horse.  I love both scores.  And maybe, maybe Lincoln has the stronger themes.  But War Horse ALSO has amazing themes, and also one of the best OST albums JW ever put together.  War Horse's score is just structured more in a way I like my scores structured, I guess, with themes that represent things established, then expanded upon, and all getting a "grand finale" payoff moment before the end.  Lincoln's themes are individually amazing, but never really interact with each other, and just kind of have their own hero moments throughout the album without any big narrative throughline bridging them all together.  To be clear, I love both albums and scores, but that's just the reasons I personally prefer War Horse if I'm force to pick a favorite between the two.

For the films, well, I've only seen one film each time, in theaters, and haven't been compelled yet to watch them again.  So neither are favorites of mine by any stretch, but I'd say I probably enjoyed Lincoln a pretty big bit more than War Horse for sure.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Lincoln's themes are individually amazing, but never really interact with each other,

I disagree. Lincoln's themes are pretty expertly interwoven.  Many of the themes reference each other and they all share the same musical DNA.

For score, it's easy-peasy: WAR HORSE all the way. Still his best after 2005.

For film, it's trickier. Both have their strenghts and weaknesses and are pretty even, quality-wise. But ultimately, I'd pick LINCOLN.

• 1 month later...