Masters of the Air - Follow Up to ‘Band of Brothers’ and ‘The Pacific’ From Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg

Disco Stu

Apple Orders Follow Up to ‘Band of Brothers’ and ‘The Pacific’ From Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg

So Hanks and Spielberg are making another WWII miniseries and it's going to Apple+ instead of HBO.  It's called "Masters of Air."

This series seemed like it was headed for development hell so I’m glad to hear it’s finally progressing, thanks Apple 😬

Band of Brothers is the greatest mini series ever imo. The Pacific is great in its own right but it certainly isn’t BoB. 

Can’t wait.

51 minutes ago, Modest Expectations said:

It would be nice to have Williams contribute an overture, and then Giacchino do the rest.

Ew, no. 

12 hours ago, Erik Woods said:

PS - Giacchino interviewed and provided demos for Band of Brothers.

Woa... And Spielberg didn't like it? :(

the style of Bob is not the same as MOH..but still I would have liked to hear what giacchino wrote

19 hours ago, Bilbo said:

This series seemed like it was headed for development hell so I’m glad to hear it’s finally progressing, thanks Apple 😬

Band of Brothers is the greatest mini series ever imo. The Pacific is great in its own right but it certainly isn’t BoB. 

Can’t wait.

Ew, no. 

I know, I would want Williams stinking up Giacchino’s music with some lousy theme. 

On 10/11/2019 at 11:47 AM, Disco Stu said:

Apple Orders Follow Up to ‘Band of Brothers’ and ‘The Pacific’ From Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg

So Hanks and Spielberg are making another WWII miniseries and it's going to Apple+ instead of HBO.  It's called "Masters of Air."

This would have been perfect for Horner. 🙁

Band of Brothers was one of the best shows I've seen, with a great score by Kamen. The Pacific was a 'good' show, with a functional but completely unremarkable score.

Whoever does the music, I hope they take inspiration from Kamen's assignment. Just not Zimmer.

• 1 year later...

I couldn’t find a thread but I believe this is shooting next month. I saw a call for extras between 17-30 and it’s believed to be for this. 

10 episodes in the vein of Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

Based on Masters of the Air: America’s Bomber Boys Who Fought The Air War Against Nazi Germany
by Donald L. Miller

Focusing on the 8th Air Force, possibly the 100th Bombardment Group. 

Rumoured budget of $200m-250m. 

Cary Joji Fukunaga is directing three episodes. 

Edit:

I knew there had to be a thread but I searched for Masters of the Air and nothing came up so... not my fault! 

Really looking forward to this.  Band of Brothers was some of the best television ever produced, and certainly the greatest mini series ever.  It's unlikely they'll be able to capture that magic again (they certainly didn't with The Pacific), but that doesn't mean this can't be fantastic in its own right.

14 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I wonder who will score this. The scores from Band of Brothers and The Pacific were great.

Kamen is dead, but Zimmer & co. are still around. They did well on THE PACIFIC, so I wouldn't be opposed to them doing it. Looking forward to the series regardless.

50 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Really looking forward to this.  Band of Brothers was some of the best television ever produced, and certainly the greatest mini series ever.  It's unlikely they'll be able to capture that magic again (they certainly didn't with The Pacific), but that doesn't mean this can't be fantastic in its own right.

I really like The Pacific but it has two things going against it.

1) The war in the Pacific was hell on Earth. It’s closer to what we imagine Vietnam was like as opposed to the way the ETO is portrayed. Sure the ETO was difficult too but there’s always something more heroic about it. Think of the differences between Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line. I think it makes it a harder watch. 

2) Band of Brother focuses on Easy Company. People you meet in episode one are the focus in every episode. It shifts focus to different characters throughout but it’s always from people within the same group. The Pacific shifts between the POV of three barely related men and their unite. It makes it feel more disjointed as a result. Masters of the Air shouldn’t have this issue if it focuses on a single bomber group or even a single plane and her crew.  

Plus we should see some P-51s in air support 😎

16 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I wonder who will score this. The scores from Band of Brothers and The Pacific were great.

The Pacific is very underrated on here. Zimmer’s main theme is amazing. I wish he would do more stuff like that. I wouldn’t be surprised if he did something similar this time around with someone else doing the show. 

Just no Giacchino please... unless he remembers how he wrote those Medal of Honor scores 

55 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

As soon as I read this first line I knew exactly where you were going with it on both counts and I agree 100%.

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/11/2019 at 8:06 PM, Edmilson said:

Who are they going to call this time?

Band of sisters?

On 2/16/2021 at 3:58 PM, Bilbo said:

Yeah, HanZ and the music.

Finally getting around to watching The Pacific (having bought the Blu-Ray in the HMV closing down sale and watched the first episode months ago) and quite enjoying it so far, but definitely don't feel as attached to the characters as with Band of Brothers. The music is fine, but Kamen's is miles better. My other half noted that none of the main actors in The Pacific is now famous - you'd expect by the law of averages that one of them might have done especially when the most famous person in it is kid who played Tim from Jurassic Park (good though his is). They are certainly pretty good in their roles. Yet compared to BoB, which had Scott Grimes, Damian Lewis, Dexter Fletcher, Michael Fassbender etc...

Still, look forward to the new series. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes to Bleeding Fingers Music; their music for BBC wildlife documentaries has been pretty decent, although like The Pacific with Band of Brothers, I'd take Michael Kamen over Hans and Co, in the same way I'd take George Fenton for wildlife documentaries over Bleeding Fingers Music (and seriously, who thought that was a good name...?!).

15 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

My other half noted that none of the main actors in The Pacific is now famous - you'd expect by the law of averages that one of them might have done

Rami Malek has a decent role later in the series. 

49 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Rami Malek has a decent role later in the series. 

Ah cool, only seen the first couple of episodes.

45 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I was about to mention him. He's definitely famous now.

Not better half? 

Nah, I'm the best one ;-)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes! Been waiting for this one for a while, and recently finished the book.

I consider Band of Brothers to be the finest ten hours of TV ever produced, so my expectations are high for this one (though somewhat tempered, as I found The Pacific to be a bit of a disappointment, relatively speaking).

@Jay, do you know why this video is marked private?

• 4 months later...

I think I slightly preferred Neely’s portions of the Pacific score to Zanelli’s (possibly just because Neely used Zimmer’s theme though), so I’m ok with this. 

44 minutes ago, dyemery said:

You'd think Hans Zimmer would've scored the series seeing as how he worked on The Pacific plus worked with Fukunaga on No Time to Die.

There's still the possibility he's involved, perhaps writing the theme again?

Neely makes sense given that he is the through-line from Band of Brothers (orchestrator to Kamen) and The Pacific (composer). Be interesting to see if there is a co-composer, another big-name composer or a main title composer joinging him for this one.

22 hours ago, dyemery said:

You'd think Hans Zimmer would've scored the series seeing as how he worked on The Pacific plus worked with Fukunaga on No Time to Die.

The Pacific had a theme by Zimmer and the main score by Neely and Zanelli - it sounds like we’re 1/3 of the way there!

From what I can see, there's no release date in stone yet so there's still time for more scoring news.

I quite like Zimmer's theme for The Pacific; it's no Band Of Brothers, for sure, but it's stirring and it's fitting enough. I wouldn't mind him returning to theme tune this.

• 6 months later...