David Arnold scores a Bond related commercial

Faleel

The commercial is pretty incomprehensible (as usual on these commercials for luxury perfumes, jewelry, fine clothing, and stuff), but it reminded me a bit of Skyfall. So, in a way, this is the David Arnold Skyfall score we never had.

1 hour ago, GiacchinoCues said:

Honestly, all that music reminded me off was this.

Haha; well, nothing wrong with that, is there?

That's quite the fun and catchy melody. :D

It's a crime against humanity that this guy isn't getting big studio work. To echo @SteveMc's thoughts, it's obvious this guy is itching for another mainstream film like Bond.

So very disappointing he didn't come back when Newman departed. It's nearly the same level of disappointment I had when Hooper finally departed Potter, thinking it would bring Williams back into the fold, only for someone totally different to get the gig.

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It's a crime against humanity that this guy isn't getting big studio work. To echo @SteveMc's thoughts, it's obvious this guy is itching for another mainstream film like Bond.

So very disappointing he didn't come back when Newman departed. It's nearly the same level of disappointment I had when Hooper finally departed Potter, thinking it would bring Williams back into the fold, only for someone totally different to get the gig.

Why would you want to subject Williams to more crappy Potter sequels?

3 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Thankfully, they replaced him with Thomas Snoozeman and some guy no one's ever heard of.

Dan Romer working on the accordion-heavy soundtrack for NTTD, together with one of his orchestrators.

MV5BOTFlMTEwYjQtYWJmYi00ZTExLWExMzUtYjdlOTE4MDM0MDY5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzA4ODQ4Mjk@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1500,1000_AL_.jpg

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Because he probably would've elevated those lifeless, static films into something more operatic.

Or at least tried (I'm sure Yates would've buried it in the mix anyway).

A couple of Potter sequels are no big loss anyway.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

It's a crime against humanity that this guy isn't getting big studio work.

It's like I said on the other thread:. I don't know if this is Arnold who is not invited to score the big blockbusters, or is it because he personally prefers to score British TV series these days. He and Don Davis would elevate considerably the quality of film scores being delivered for hollywood blockbusters. 

Well, on Davis case, at least they're making The Matrix 4, so they may rescue him from low budget movie no one cares and orchestrating Randy Newman's Pixar sequels.

4 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Don’t get the big deal. It’s not a particularly great cue. Just Bond pastiche. 

Would you prefer Balfe to have scored it?

--

It feels more symphonic than trailers/adverts usually do, and the absence of any other dialogue or effects (which is a bit weird) makes you fully focus on the music. It's almost like Arnold scored a fully mixed version and they just took all that away and left the music.

I absolutely would’ve known it was David Arnold, it’s firmly in his voice. Apart from superficial similarities, Arnold and Barry have very different compositional voices and habits. 

22 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Assuming the idea of that commercial was to tell you what the product is... they failed. I didn't realise it was a sweater until I clicked the link above.

Also, does this product description not smell a bit of marketing desperation?

Yeah, what's all the 'to celebrate 50 years of Bond' stuff about when that was 7 years ago? :huh: 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Has he done any concert works not based on his film scores?

Has he done any concert works that ARE based on his film scores???

All I know is "Parade of the Athletes" from the (2012?) London Olympics.

It can be found on a CD named "A Symphony of British Music".

Not sure if that counts, but it seemed worth mentioning just in case.

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I was referring to concert version of film music themes.

Like John Williams does, you mean?

If David Arnold ever did anything other than his pop beginning, his film scores, that Olympics theme and some TV shows these days, then I never heard of it.

Would be happy to find out there is more though! The guy does good work. :D

• 1 year later...

Well, I watched the original commercial this thread was started for again, and really enjoyed its littler Arnold cue.  It's just really fun.  Still a dumb commercial though.

Then I watched this new commercial he scored.  Definitely an even dumber commercial.  Like, completely pointless.  And sadly, Arnold's cue for it didn't do much for me.  It was just kinda generic.

I wish he'd return to scoring big feature films, and doing so with inspiration