What changes would it take for you to not consider TLJ the worst of SW scores?

Fabulin

What changes would it take for you to consider TLJ score great?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. I could have done more... but what exactly?---John Williams, 87

• The First Order March
    • An catchy theme for Snoke.
    • A long, melodious theme for Kylo Ren
    • Reylo / Connection Theme
    • A new theme for Ankh-To. Jedi Steps is obviously not enough to represent it!
    • Rework Rebellion is Reborn, The Spark, and Canto Bight. They are all second-tier!
    • Better action music. What we got in TLJ is no good.
    • Reinvent your general sound palette (yes, again!)
    • Nothing. The Last Jedi score is already great.

26 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

To me, it's just a collection of theme renditions connected by mostly uninteresting meandering filler music.

People think that's "brilliant" for some reason. Must be brand loyalty.

27 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I don't understand how even the Force theme became so by-the-numbers and uninteresting. I was listening to Episode III earlier and every instance of that theme is incredible from the militaristic opening to the rather haunting version heard when Vader is on the bridge. Something was definitely off with TLJ.

Yes. It's not like you can't have a score that uses the theme a lot...but offhand, I can't think of a single statement of it in TLJ that really does anything new with the theme. Not that it needs to be completely reinvented every time or anything, but ROTS provides some really great examples of taking it new directions. As do all the other films, really.

4 hours ago, Datameister said:

Ditch the temp track. That's the number one thing. There are sooooo many passages that simply quote previous films (or albums) verbatim, often with editorial choices from the temp track delivered with awkward literalness. There's a big difference between penning a new yet nostalgic rendition of Yoda's theme and...well, slamming the beginning and end of the concert suite together and calling it a day. Most of the individual instances of this are fine, but in aggregate they really hurt the score, especially the first time I saw the film. No other Star Wars score is like this.

The next thing is related - stop using the Force theme every 2 minutes, especially as an adagio horn solo over solemn strings. It's absolutely beautiful writing. Hearing it every other scene cheapens it.

Indeed, no other Star Wars score is like this, and by intent. Williams always prides himself on how little of the each score is reliant on older material. Not so with The Last Jedi.

Part of what makes it particularly egregious with regards to the Force theme is that, across all seven previous scores, it’s already been used many, many times. The Last Jedi very nearly killed it through over-exposure: it didn’t just lose its heft, it lost its meaning: It went from being the old Ben theme, to being The Force theme to being the “something-vaguely-impactful-is-happening-onscreen” theme.

1 hour ago, Montre said:

These sound like decisions that were not made by JW himself, but rather the director or producers.

Yes. As I recall, Rian Johnson said he gave JW a temp track made primarily of existing Star Wars music. The change of process and director produced some very noticeable changes in the approach to the score, IMO.

I'm guessing TROS will be more similar to TFA overall. I'm expecting a much smaller amount of new thematic material than that score, obviously, but I'm also expecting a return to Williams' usual approach.

14 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

He means that the majority apparently consider it great as-is. But it's JWFan, what do you expect.

In another thread, which compared all Star Wars scores so far, TLJ was nearly universally considered the worst in the saga. There was quite a bit of variation in assessments of the comparative quality of TFA and prequel scores, but this one was firmly at the bottom. I argued against it, and was ridiculed.

In other threads people expressed disappointment that there was no First Order / Kylo Ren march, no new, unique theme for Snoke, etc. and compared it to the introduction of Rey's Theme & March of the Resistance in TFA. 

Reactions to The Spark, Canto Bight, Rebellion is Reborn, etc. were positive from what I've observed, but not as euphoric as towards other Star Wars themes.

My poll options are a bit tongue in cheek, duh, but they express what I observed so far were the arguments against the score.

Do people have amnesia?

The one thing I'm dreading with The Rise of Skywalker is the possible return of The Force Awakens' sound mix. The music was nigh inaudible.

Say what you will of the contents of the score, but least you could hear the music in The Last Jedi! If you can't hear the music, it makes little difference how good it is or isn't.

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

The one thing I'm dreading with The Rise of Skywalker is the possible return of The Force Awakens' sound mix. The music was nigh inaudible.

Say what you will of the contents of the score, but least you could hear the music in The Last Jedi! If you can't hear the music, it makes little difference how good it is or isn't.

Eh?

1 hour ago, Gurkensalat said:

overuse of the force theme

Rey's Theme alone is enough for all the "use-the-force" moments in the film. Even for those "Reylo" moments with Kylo. 

To be honest, the only thing I think that could've been improved in TLJ's score is some of the most low key underscore.

The Last Jedi may not be Williams longest movie (which I think it's Schindler's List or Nixon), but it's probably his longest score, with 140 minutes of music on the film and 185 minutes recorded. And with that, some of the most low key music ended up suffering, since it's not as inspired as the rest. I've heard the isolated score a lot on this past 2 years, and there are moments (like Poe's rebellion against Holdo and Finn, Rose and DJ sneaking into Snoke's ship) that the music could've been more inspired.

I'm not saying there should be epic and bombastic music for all of the 140 minutes, however, almost two decades ago Williams more understated music used to be more compelling: Presenting the Pre-Cogs, Obi Wan investigating the clones in Kamino (I know this is controversial, but I like his suspense scoring there), Petrified Justin, The Writing on the Wall...

Also, if I were Rian Johnson, I would've told Williams to refrain a little from using his themes all the time. Like, on Revisiting Snoke, when he tells Kylo he could've been a new Vader, and then we hear the Imperial March... It's a little silly and obvious, and I think that cue would be better without the IM there, since, despite mentioning his name, Vader is not exactly the focus of the scene there, Kylo and Snoke are.

However, for me TLJ has too many high points that outweigh the low points. Firstly, there's better action writing. After Williams deliciously dark music from the mid-2000s (ROTS, WOTW and POA), I'm not exactly a fan of his action music since then - stuff like The Jungle Chase or The Pursuit of the Falcon has their moments, but I don't listen to that often. TLJ haven't reached his heights of the post-JP era, but is still a step on the right direction. The Battle of Crait is great, I love specially the swashbuckling performance of Rey's Theme as the Falcon arrives at the battle.

Also: the finale of Escape, as Rose's sister makes her sacrifice, Luke on the Island/Ahch-To theme (I loved its appearances everywhere), Rose's Theme, Canto Bight, The Fathiers, the melancholic yet warm (typical modern Williams) music as Rey abandons Luke on the island and then his chat with Yoda, Rey's Journey, New Alliance, Holdo's Sacrifice, Chrome Dome, and basically everything from the last 30 minutes of the movie... Much better stuff than 97% of the film music written for american movies that year. And the previous year. And the following.

9 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

Yoda's concert version is not even close to the type of tracking/editorial butchering that Lucas did in the prequels. It's a very mild example of a simple theme that Williams considers so good that even his version for Annne-Sophie Mutter features no reimagining. I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson didn't know about the concert version and it was a Williams suggestion.

Passages quoting previous films that were left in from the temp track are hard to judge when we don't precisely know the conversations between Williams and Johnson. I will take your word on the "editorial choices", and "awkward literalness"(have old recordings been re-used, or what?), that all final decisions were made by Johnson, none by Williams, and all were inferior to ideas Williams came up with for TLJ. Heavens forbid they were chosen by Johnson or (gasp!) Williams, because he couldn't one-up every single 10-second bridge or other idea that he once came up with.

Too me it all sounds natural, coherent, and I think that whoever is responsible---Williams or Johnson---did a good job.

And a hypothetical another collaboration between Johnson and Williams would be my dream. Pity his trilogy is so far away (if it even happens)

You misunderstand me. I don't presume to know the story behind every scoring choice here, and my goal isn't to point fingers between the composer and the director. All we can really judge is the end result of their collaboration - and of course that's extremely subjective. Passages that sound natural and coherent to you may strike other listeners differently. That's the nature of music.

To clarify my position, though, a few things. Firstly, I'm talking about the film score as it was written and recorded; the fact that the OT and PT scores also suffered heavy editing is a non sequitur.

Secondly, the fact that Williams directly quotes past films' concert suites in major ways (Yoda's theme, Leia's theme for her flight to safety, Rey's theme for her following Luke) is really unusual. I can't think of another Williams score that does that. I can't help imagining someone sitting in a room, assembling the temp track, seeing an album track called "Princess Leia's Theme", and thinking, "Perfect, let's use that for her big moment!"

Thirdly, I wasn't trying to suggest that old recordings have been reused. When two pieces of recorded music are edited together, it can be hard to make the transition sound natural and musical. The benefit of completely re-recording such an "edit" is that you can sometimes write material that smooths out the transition. My position is that there are too many unnatural, unmusical transitions in the score that bear all the hallmarks of originating in an edited-together temp track from which Williams did not sufficiently stray - whoever's choice that was.

Side note: To be fair, I'm judging this score against the oeuvre of my favorite all-time composer, so I'm going to be harsh. I still like TLJ better than most of what's coming from other composers these days, and there are parts of it that I think are truly superb.

8 hours ago, Chen G. said:

You must have bad hearing. I can hear the score in TFA just fine.

I'm generally one of those who complains about how low Williams music is mixed in a Star Wars films. The Prequels were the worst offender for this for sure but as I said I think the mixing for TFA is just fine.

I like the score as is and it flows very well in the complete form. The recording is quite good as well.

What I'd "change" is have two concert suites instead of one for those two themes. The Rebellion Is Reborn is an exceptionally awkward piece of music.

And I'd remove a statement or two of the Force theme...or three...or four... or five...or six. Like any iconic theme, it is at its best when used sparingly.

Karol

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Sith is by far the worst.

I used to think that. It doesn't have the thematic cohesion or personality that all the other scores have. At the same time, from the perspective of the complete score, it has the best flow. The underscore itself is the finest of the prequel trilogy. The way I usually see the prequel scores:

TPM has some stunning highlights and a lot of meandering aimless underscore.

AOTC has a lot of meandering underscore too but it feels more stylistically unified and the love theme (my favourite of the trilogy) offers a nice thematic backbone.

ROTS is the most consistently entertaining listen but has no clear thematic through-line.

Karol

11 minutes ago, crocodile said:

the love theme (my favourite of the trilogy) 

:up:

11 minutes ago, crocodile said:

ROTS is the most consistently boring listen and has no clear thematic through-line.

Fixed!