Map Room: Dawn full mockup

Pando

VERY nicely done! What sample libraries are you using? EDIT: Never mind, just noticed your description: "I recreated this track entirely using Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra. Additional minor elements by Scarbee Mark I, Balinese Gamelan, 8dio Requiem Pro, 8dio Insolidus, and Deckard's Dream."

4 hours ago, Pando said:

Not sure if anyone has done a complete mockup of this track, but here is my attempt. It was certainly fun to do this without a full score (does anyone have one?).

Happy Halloween!

It sounds too good! How long did it take to do?

A really good and accurate mockup but my desk started shaking and sparks came from my computer...I could feel my face starting to melt so I stopped it, was that supposed to happen?  The e flat clarinet would pierce a bit more around 1:38 and some of the low end could be more pronounced near the end.  Great work though!

7 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

I only noticed it now... do you think 2:52 was inspired by Mahler? 

Sure, it's a simple pattern, but Williams must have had some reasoning behind it. I doubt he was referencing Midsummernight's Dream...

That is an interesting idea.  Do note that Mahler's trumpet here is a "fate" trumpet signaling doom.  Which is an homage to Beethoven's "Fate" motif from Symphony No. 5, basically this trumpet fate thing literally goes back thousands of years.  Trumpets were "war" instruments in Pharaonic times.  These are the actual King Tut war trumpets found in his tomb. 

maxresdefault.jpg

2 hours ago, tmarps said:

Is this actually a mock up! I can hear the sounds of orchestra members moving around with my good headphones in the first 2 seconds!! 

Yes. Adding a hall ambience (noise essentially) is one of the tricks to make it sound more real.

6 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Heck... In 10-20 years...will orchestras be needed?

Imagine an orchestra of loudspeakers, each producing sounds from sample libraries created decades earlier... Good equipment would cost less than an actual orchestra. There would still be live musicians, but fewer would pursue or encourage the career. The money would instead go to the sound designers and technicians. It would be an era of singular auteurs of concerts.

14 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It sounds too good! How long did it take to do?

Thanks, it's hard to estimate time as I did smaller pieces at a time over the course of a few weeks (and tried things out without a score).

17 hours ago, Trent B said:

This whole thing is a mockup and non of it real orchestra?!

Yes, other than the samples of course (Spitfire Orchestra).

23 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

Ok, it would make sense if he was referencing something more literally ancient there. Maybe via inspiration from other Egypt-themed film scores. 

But there is a possibility that this particular musical moment is not about archeology (so not literally about an ancient Egyptian artifact), but about something more mystical, religious, connected to the discovery of the Ark. Then the motif of doom or fate would also be a good choice.

I don't think he's referencing Egypt themed film scores, more like he's using trumpets as heralders of impending doom, the fate motif which was what Mahler and Beethoven did.  I just extrapolated that they've had similar roles of death, destruction, doom for millennia.  Coincidentally ancient Egypt too.  The reason why I don't think he's referencing Egypt as much as impending doom (as in angel of judgement type of stuff) is he uses this in The Fury too like here...it's a militaristic mythical doom calling card he's using appropriately I would add (in both scores):

It's his doom motif.  He uses it in the carbon freeze of Han Solo too but in strings here:

22 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Heck... In 10-20 years...will orchestras be needed?

Who, dear sir, will record the samples used to sound realistic if it's not highly trained musicians?  Hahahahaha.  Irony. 

Youngins have some fancy stuff nowadays.  Some of what I hear from students is as impressive as this and it tempts me back into it but then I remember my DX7 does a killer marimba and pan flute combo and I'm happy with that.

Excellent transcription and mockup! Indy appreciates your helping him find The Ark of the Covenant.
In 20 years the folks replacing live musicians with mockups will themselves be replaced by AI composing tools in the hands of talented young businessmen.

Only composers who use live players and cool programing will make a career as an artist :)