Fabulin

Of course, the greatest musical opening to a film, is STAR WARS. That one note, coupled with the yellow title card, draws the viewer/listener in, like never before. It's quite stunning, and it sets-up the single greatest, and most significant shot in film history.

My favourite musical opening, however, is the "flip-side" of STAR WARS.

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND creates mystery, suspense, wonderment, and not a little confusion, as one tries to guess what might happen at the climax of the music. It's the perfect musical "intent", of the film, itself.

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

That one note, coupled with the yellow title card, draws the viewer/listener in, like never before.

It's actually a chord. ;)

On 10/29/2019 at 8:16 PM, Modest Expectations said:

Courtesy of Hans Zimmer, John Powell, and Elton John.

So Powell did the composing, Elton did the singing, and the third guy counted the money?

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Of course, the greatest musical opening to a film, is STAR WARS. That one note, coupled with the yellow title card, draws the viewer/listener in, like never before. It's quite stunning, and it sets-up the single greatest, and most significant shot in film history.

I prefer the opening 2 notes for Skyfall.

14 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

To be honest, ever since ROTJ, the Prequels and the Disney Star Wars movies, the opening credits of Star Wars lost much of their allure. 

I know it sounds stupid, but...I really miss the 20th C F logo, and fanfare. For me, it's as much a part of the films, as the titles. 

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

To be honest, ever since ROTJ, the Prequels and the Disney Star Wars movies, the opening credits of Star Wars lost much of their allure. 

Is this because they don't mean as to you?

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I know it sounds stupid, but...I really miss the 20th C F logo, and fanfare. For me, it's as much a part of the films, as the titles. 

I know what you mean. I had that with 20th Century Fox/Star Wars and with The Ladd Company/Blade Runner.

I'm not really a fan of the movies but Spider-Man had a very exciting opening due to the music and the way it matched the presentation of the credits themselves.

But for me the most memorable and deeply impactful marriage of on screen credits and music has always been Superman: The Movie. That single sequence probably influenced my taste in music for the rest of my life, and made me more than just a casual movie lover.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I actually don’t miss it (which is probably straight-up sacrilege to say aloud). I always thought two fanfares in a row was a little much.

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I know what you mean. I had that with 20th Century Fox/Star Wars and with The Ladd Company/Blade Runner.

Why does the Ladd Company logo sound like it was recorded on an Edison phonograph?

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Another indelible impression in the credits made by music and action:

Starting at 2:03, you briefly hear The Bangles singing their song "I Got Nothing"

Good sequence all around

Audio is wonky in this video, so it's not very enjoyable to listen to, but it should be enough to show how perfectly the overture (a "proper" one, serving as exposition for the themes that will be developed throughout the score) matches the visuals.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

...the most memorable and deeply impactful marriage of on screen credits and music has always been Superman: The Movie. That single sequence probably influenced my taste in music for the rest of my life, and made me more than just a casual movie lover.

Fuck, yeah!!! :thumbup:

Lee, I saw SUPERMAN in 70mm/6-track, on its first weekend, in London, December, 1978. 

"Blown away" doesn't even to begin to describe it. It was absolutely stunning, and the only time that I've heard people applauding during the main titles! I'll never forget it.

19 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Why does the Ladd Company logo sound like it was recorded on an Edison phonograph?

I have always wondered about that myself. It's like they lost the original recording and therefore used the backup on cassette tape instead. 

Just now, Naïve Old Fart said:

Fuck, yeah!!! :thumbup:

Lee, I saw SUPERMAN in 70mm/6-track, on its first weekend, in London, December, 1978. 

I think I've seen the same 70mm blow up in Antwerpen. 

45 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Quite possibly, but I prefer FRANKENSTEIN...er, sorry, KENNETH BRANAGH'S FRANKENSTEIN...shit, I mean KENNETH BRANAGH'S MARY SHELLEY'S FRANKENSTEIN. Phew.

Or, for short, FRANKENNETHSTEIN

• Kubo and the Two Strings (Dario Marianelli). I got chills in the cinema hearing it and it gives you a sense of the scale that the film is trying to convey.

• Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Patrick Doyle). Sets a darker tone for the film and the rest of the series.

15 hours ago, Quintus said:

I'm not really a fan of the movies but Spider-Man had a very exciting opening due to the music and the way it matched the presentation of the credits themselves.

This. Those opening credits was a big film music moment for me as a kid, before I knew anything about Williams or Zimmer.

Also remember getting all swept up by the rush of all those running ostinati in the opening of the Matrix. Was super bad-ass:

Kilar's music also does wonders for the opening Coppola's Dracula. Absolute chills when the title card pops up...

Opening credits to Babe (1995). Nigel westlake’s adaptation of Saint-Säens was and remains timeless. And the rest of the movie is something of a modern miracle in its own right. 

And it uses the Horner Universal logo! Delicious.

3 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

Why don't they do opening titles much anymore?

Too slow. Shot attention span. Fear of people leaving the theatre after two minutes. Boring, unless opening credits is explosion after explosion.

2 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

What I refer to as the opening from God... 

I think Steef, after yesterday, can testify to that.