Fabulin

Interesting question, and an all-too-easy answer for me. 

At times I've been so inclined as to say that Seven Years in Tibet is my favourite Williams score, and it very much is on most days. The suite, which acts as the bookends for the OST, is one of those golden nugget cues for me, encapsulating everything I love about John Williams and his music in a way that escapes words. 

Botanicus Theme. It's melodic with a catchy hook, inspiring yet vaguely masculine and badass, mysteriously tranquil and romantic.

Desert Chase from Raiders for sheer coolness and testosterone-fueled masculinity. That shit is the mad notes.

Batman is a score that hits all the right notes for me. Just a perfect score. Elfman sums up everything that's great about Batman, music in general and his talents as an artist.

Like @karelm, I have a ton I could choose here, but I'll pick these two:

The quasi-fugal stuff here (and earlier) is just incredible:

Puts a very old musical art form into a new action context. I love JW's action writing in general. 

Second, the pure exuberance of this piece is one of my favorite sounds, and some of the chords are just perfect:

I think Bruce Broughton is closer to my musical ideals. Nonetheless,

Ideal Williams moment 

1. Helicopter theme from Jurassic Park

2. When Yoda's Theme plays in Rebel Fleet / End Title

Ideal Williams track

1. Star Wars: Main Titles

2. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial: End Credits (the intro and the build-up from 1:14 - 1:33 is incredible. Best 'credits reel or opening' music)

I don't know about 'musical ideals', necessarily, but the Williams sound I love the most is not the action stuff, but the pastoral, Ralph Vaughan Williams-type stuff, what I call his 'religious sound' (even if the music doesn't necessarily accompany anything religious). Tracks like these:

religioussound.jpg

1 hour ago, JAMOcl said:

...Star Wars Revenge of the Siths 

Geez, Louise, how many are there?! :o

First of all, I thank you @Modest Expectations. I'm flattered that you included me, in your original list.

"Musical ideals" is not a concept that I'm familiar with, or, at least, not a concept that I pay much attention to, nowadays. As a younger man, there was a particular rock band, on whose every note and word, I hung. As one gets older, however, one tends to move on from what once excited one, while still retaining - one hopes - a fond regard for what influenced one, all that time, ago.

In the case of JW, my tastes in his output have changed considerably, over the years. What once had me swooning, now has a nil-to-negative affect on me. Conversely, scores - and individual cues - have, sometimes "crept up" on me, taking me by surprise, in their relevance to my contemporary situation(s).

That being said, the two pieces that seem to sum up where I am (certainly emotionally) at present, are WAKING UP, and A SECOND CHANCE.

The former says a lot about me, physically. It's slow, but stately. It's dignified. It signifies the end of an era; a death (don't worry; I'm not going anywhere, soon).

The latter, on the other hand, is full of exuberance, joy, and hope, for the future. It says: "Yes, it can happen, to you!".

I'm able to hold both in tension. 

I hope this answers your question?