Complete Star Wars saga in 4K now available on Disney+

crumbs

9 hours ago, SyncMan said:

I'm afraid that it is true.

Just before the pathetic shoot-out, there's a close-up of Greedo.

Greedo.png

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1194160383831027713/pu/vid/1280x720/CZaHqCSz0VEPZ4m9.mp4?tag=10

LMAO! That scene was edited again!

I've been checking them out thanks to a friend.  Anyways they look good in my opinion even AOTC.  Although not happy with that extra Greedo bit.  Also I am still not happy they left the shit editing for AOTC when Dooku escapes.  It changes right after he says to Yoda "This is just the beginning!". They changed it for the blu-ray release and of course kept it with the 4k version.  It's sloppy editing and just ruins the sequence. I have no idea why the hell they edited that to begin with.

If you don't believe me just compare the two sequences with the DVD and Blu-Ray versions of the film if you have the old DVD version.

To be honest, I agree about the editing of that scene from Episode II. It's a rather baffling change to an already perfectly edited scene. No need to mess with perfection, George! You got the prequels right the first time!

And the unnecessary showoffy Launch from the Fourth Moon CG ships - I never understood why those shots needed full replacements instead of major cleanup, but then they leave all the Trench Run shots as they are, breaking continuity with only 1 X-Wing visible from Vader's cockpit instead of the 2 that should be there before Biggs is shot down, no TIEs behind Luke and all that. It doesn't bother you when you're immersed and all that, the geography and stakes are still clear, but the replaced shots didn't bother anyone either. Or the horrid Jabba scene which just restates the same things the Greedo scene alread told us after it was rewritten to tell us what the Jabba scene would have told us if it wasn't cut early on!

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

So is it true that the servers were down because too many people were watching Disney+? 

When I was scrolling through the menus/lists of shows on my phone over lunch, the service was spotty even for that.

My spouse and kid watched a few episodes of Elena of Avalor around 4:00 and had no problem.  At 10:00 last night when I went to watch Mandalorian, I had no problem.

20 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Who cares about Greedo, what does Attack of the Clones look like?

Well, the color doesn't look like absolute shit. I can only watch the 4K version on my phone though, since for whatever reason the Xbox One X version of the D+ app doesn't have 4K. So I'm not sure if it still has that "soft" look.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

When I was scrolling through the menus/lists of shows on my phone over lunch, the service was spotty even for that.

My spouse and kid watched a few episodes of Elena of Avalor around 4:00 and had no problem.  At 10:00 last night when I went to watch Mandalorian, I had no problem.

Maybe it was in another country (The Netherlands aka Steefland).

2 hours ago, Holko said:

And the unnecessary showoffy Launch from the Fourth Moon CG ships - I never understood why those shots needed full replacements instead of major cleanup, but then they leave all the Trench Run shots as they are, breaking continuity with only 1 X-Wing visible from Vader's cockpit instead of the 2 that should be there before Biggs is shot down, no TIEs behind Luke and all that. It doesn't bother you when you're immersed and all that, the geography and stakes are still clear, but the replaced shots didn't bother anyone either. Or the horrid Jabba scene which just restates the same things the Greedo scene alread told us after it was rewritten to tell us what the Jabba scene would have told us if it wasn't cut early on!

???

The original version of Star Wars had many dated special effects shots due to low budget and prototype technology. Empire and Jedi featured increasingly improved spaceship scenes and even as a little squirt watching A New Hope on videocassette in between Batman viewings, I knew many of the spaceship parts looked faked as hell and totally inconsistent with the sequels. The Special Edition replaced the worst parts with improved dynamic shots that are now some of the best in the entire series, albeit very brief.

You can actually see the pilots inside, you can see their heads moving.

There's nothing wrong with most of the old shots, in fact it just makes the whole thing more jarring when mostly seemingly completely random shots are replaced with more "modernised" dynamic and quick ship shots while the rest remain the old more sluggish but charming and obviously '70s ones.

The final point always is, there's nothing wrong with liking the changes made to Star Wars.  There's also nothing wrong with preferring the way it was originally released.  Both should be legally available.

4 hours ago, Holko said:

Personally I like the additional CG shots for the Yavin sequences including the launching of the fighters. It gives it more realism.  If you can't appreciate that...well I feel sorry for you.

I feel sorry for you for feeling sorry for someone for not appreciating meh CG slapped randomly over Oscar-winning special effects in a classic masterpiece being the only legally available version!

I personally don't believe the director or anyone should have the right for revisionalism this rampant and badly done, but I wouldn't give 2 shits about it if something pretty much 100% like the objectively miles better 4K77 would be available to purchase separately or in a multidisc set.

51 minutes ago, Holko said:

I feel sorry for you for feeling sorry for someone for not appreciating meh CG slapped randomly over Oscar-winning special effects in a classic masterpiece being the only legally available version!

I personally don't believe the director or anyone should have the right for revisionalism this rampant and badly done, but I wouldn't give 2 shits about it if something pretty much 100% like the objectively miles better 4K77 would be available to purchase separately or in a multidisc set.

Agree to disagree.

The director or whoever made the movie in this case George Lucas has EVERY right to make changes to his movies.  While we fans disagree with most of the changes in the end it's still Lucas' right to do that. You can argue about it until you're blue in the face but in the end it's HIS decision not ours.

As Gruesome said if you want the originals completely untouched get the VHS versions or get the 2 disc set of the OT that was released a few years ago that had the unaltered versions in non anamorphic widescreen. Quit pissing on those (like myself) who actually like the CG enhancements for Star Wars (ANH).

1 hour ago, Trent B said:

Quit pissing on those (like myself) who actually like the CG enhancements for Star Wars (ANH).

Where have I done that?

1 hour ago, Trent B said:

VHS versions or get the 2 disc set of the OT

Oh fuck off now.

He’s right, you can fuck off. The theatricals deserve an HD release on a format people actually use. They’re the originals for fuck’s sake. There’s no reason multiple versions couldn’t have been released side by side.

57 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

He’s right, you can fuck off. The theatricals deserve an HD release on a format people actually use. They’re the originals for fuck’s sake. There’s no reason multiple versions couldn’t have been released side by side.

Gonna cry because Lucas won't let you watch the old versions in HD?

48 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Gonna cry because Lucas won't let you watch the old versions in HD?

Gonna keep being an asshole for no obvious reason?

On 11/12/2019 at 9:14 AM, Modest Expectations said:

What? They were gone? When? I must have missed something.

With the exception of A New Hope, they were gone in the TNT/TBS airings and replaced with a standard Lucasfilm logo. But that was before Disney purchased the studio outright.

3 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

The theatrical versions are only rough drafts. The 2011 and 2019 versions are all that matter now.

The movies were shot on film, so the theatricals are only VHS resolution anyway. But using the power of computers in the 1990s, they were able to create more detail for the SEs. Computers have infinite resolution, and will forever look perfect in 1080p.

We didn't even know if we could do the job and get it done in the time that we had to do it. We didn't know if we could make it look real or not. If it was gonna look like most of the other science fiction films that had been done, which looked pretty fake. So it was a problem of trying to come up with a look that could allow George's vision to get on the screen and be executed for the amount of money and for the time that we had.

The changes in the SE’s are all hit and miss to me. Some improve the movies, some make them worse.

What I’d prefer is a release that is essentially the original versions, like, that is what you’d get if you just press play after inserting the disc - but there’d be a section in the options menu where you could look at and choose between each and every moment that was “specialized” and if you’d want it inserted into the movie or not.

- R2 hiding behind rocks

Yes/No?

- Extra hustle and bustle in Mos Eisly

Yes/No?

- Ketwol alien in the cantina scene (replace werewolf man)

Yes/No?

- Jabba visits Han Solo

Yes/No?

...and so on.

That’d be cool. Give Star Wars back to the fans and end this trade dispute : )

Especially for Empire, I’d like to keep the extended interiors/exteriors in Cloud City, but throw all other changes out.

I can hear the voice over in my mind for the trailer already, “Visit a galaxy far far away.... again and again, but never the same. Over 100 possible combinations.... Enjoy Star Wars your way.”