2 Williams 2020 Grammy Nominations (Williams WINS for Galaxy's Edge)

lairdo

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Of all his arrangements done for Mutter's album, that's the one they retained?

Yep. I think they chose that for a few reasons. First, it was released as a single for free, so it was out there longer and probably more widely heard. Second, it is probably the most widely known and without controversy of the tracks. What I think I mean by that is if they had chosen a Star Wars track, then it could have looked too shameful related to the upcoming movie release. Third, it does have a very difficult cadenza, so it's more than say Rey's Theme that is closer to the original piece. (Personally, I still prefer the Dracula arrangement or The Duel, but Hedwig's Theme is quite good.) And fourth, I think Anne-Sophie really likes this piece. 

Just guesses! I was a bit surprised the album itself was not nominated, but then again it was not clear which category it really belongs in. There is not a classical crossover category, and it is not suitable for a visual medium award (where soundtracks show up) since it is not that.

• 2 months later...

Could be, or I was wondering if it's just something absurd like Williams has a composing credit on the album and that was just applied to any submissions from Solo

Or he literally did co-compose "Mine Mission" and we're none the wiser.

Without having an official credit, some of the themes sound like they were re-worked by JW behind the scenes, ESPECIALLY Mine Mission that sounds like the Jeep theme from Jurassic Park. Maybe he was there when Powell was writing that cue

With CoS we know Williams doesn't always take credit 

Congrats to the Maestro for the win! :) 

I really love the piece and it has only grown on me more ever since it was released.

On 11/20/2019 at 7:26 PM, lairdo said:

There is not a classical crossover category, and it is not suitable for a visual medium award (where soundtracks show up) since it is not that.

I belongs in the classical category.

6 hours ago, King Mark said:

Without having an official credit, some of the themes sound like they were re-worked by JW behind the scenes, ESPECIALLY Mine Mission that sounds like the Jeep theme from Jurassic Park. Maybe he was there when Powell was writing that cue

He definitely played that cue for JW at his house. There is a whole funny anecdote about the unfortunate original title.

Karol