Jane Eyre

well that ok was for the 1st Stefan reply :wave:

I decided to buy 'You only Live Twice' too, but about buying four...Are they that different or not? (never seen any Bond movie, except Brosnan's), i think they are worth the buying and they are cheap, but buying 4 at a time (plus Jane Eyre) would leave me a little naked...

How is 'Diamons are Forever', by the way?

BUY JANE EYRE!

It's one of JW's best (and one of his favorites).

The main theme is beautiful, but 'Festivity at Thornfield' is my current favorite.

Jane Eyre, that's right! I forgot Silva Screen rereleased it a couple of years ago. And with better sound quality too, so I've heard. It's a pity that therefore my old version was reduced from a collectors item to something superfluous as the Star Wars Prequels.

----------------

Alex Cremers

:P you are more perverted than i thought!!!!

Luke, who is not THAT slim. (and who doesn't smoke too)

Anyway, with your wicked mind, you could be jealousy of anything ;):devil:

Staying on 'topic', in what order will you buy the Bond scores?

Stefancos wrote:

Alex, i must say i'm inpressed of the way you manage to bash the prequels even in atotally unrelated thread.  

Stefancos- who now thinks the Dark Side is strong with Alex.

It was time I revealed myself.

----------------

Alex Cremers

My favorite track form Jane Eyre is Restoration.

I was completly in the dark concerning the movie and the score when I bought the cd, but it is trully wonderful, one of JW's best. Don't give it a second thought, buy it now.

I'm curious if anyone has seen the movie. I love the score - very English and very pretty. But I would love it more if I could hear it with the film. Don't think its available.

Jane Eyre was a rare chance in that era for JW to do a more "mature" film. And I think it shows that his supposedly more mature era of the 1990s really was, to a large extent, just JW doing a lot more mature films because the music for Jane Eyre certainly has a more mature feel and that was 1971 (I think).

- Adam

I'm curious if anyone has seen the movie. I love the score - very English and very pretty. But I would love it more if I could hear it with the film. Don't think its available.

Because of JWs beautiful score for Jane Eyre, I read the novel and have watched several film versions of the novel, including the JW-scored version. Its still for sale at ccvideo.com, just go here:

http://www.ccvideo.com/item.cfm?itemid=TLS001101

JWs is, by far, the best Jane Eyre score that I've heard, even better than Herrmanns Eyre score, which is also terrific, but a little more darker and gothic than JWs. JWs is more romantic and longing.

My favorite tracks are To Thornfield, Festivity At Thornfield (which I don't think was used in the film) and Trio-The Meeting. But really, all of the tracks are outstanding and really tell the story. JW captured the tension between the two lovers and the longing and the forbidden love. This is a must have for any JW fan, casual or completist.

As for the film, its probably the best telling of the Jane Eyre story, in my opinion but still falls short. I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with the novel or other film versions, but the final third of the story (Janes "romance" with St John) always seems to be rushed through in ANY film version and never fully explained like it is in the book. This leaves viewers (who haven't read the book) uncertain of why St John is after Jane and why Jane wouldn't go for such a "great guy".

The highlight of the film (besides the score) is, without a doubt, George C Scott. He IS Rochester. His is the most commanding Rochester in any film I've seen, but without seeming like a grumpy jerk like so many other Rochesters. Scott also fits the physical description of Rochester according to Bronte. Orson Welles was just too damned handsome, though he was fine otherwise!

Also noteworthy is Susannah York. Though she is a bit aged to play Jane, in the book I believe Jane was 18 or 20. I suppose 20th century audiences wouldn't go for a romance between a 35-40 year old and an 18 year old. However, York is (and I'll quote Adam again) "very English and very pretty" like the JWs music.

You must own this score and I highly recommend the film and the book. Check out Herrmanns Jane Eyre too!

Thanks for the info. and the link. I ordered the film and am anxious to hear the score with the movie. I particularly like the finale, I think its the Reunion, so I can't wait to see how that fits in.

- Adam

Thanks for the info. and the link. I ordered the film and am anxious to hear the score with the movie. I particularly like the finale, I think its the Reunion, so I can't wait to see how that fits in.

- Adam

Let me know what you think of the film and score after seeing the movie! BY THE WAY, I lost sleep last night because of this post. All of the talking about the film and the score made me pop in the CD right before bedtime last night and I HAD to listen to the whole thing!! Thanks A LOT!!

:music:

Yeah great score!

I was glad to see them re-release it. I never had this score and had heard from several people here about how good it was.

Amazingly several of the die hards on this board actually bought the new version even though they had the old version! Why? I guess they like burning money! :)

Amazingly several of the die hards on this board actually bought the new version even though they had the old version! Why? I guess they like burning money!  

It has a remastered sound! That's why! The famous old one could crack a bit on some tracks.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I had a musician friend who complained that Williams could only write for brass and didn't write well for strings (this was prior to "Schindler's List"). I played "Jane Eyre" for him and he was blown away. It really is a beautiful work. John also recorded a suite of music from the score with the Boston Pops and although the sound is very good on the OST, the Pops recording is marvelously recorded. The disc that the suite appears on is "POPS BRITANNIA" (Philips 420 946-2) and here are the selections:

JANE EYRE (John Williams)

1) At Lowood

2) To Thornfield

3) The Return

This score is a must for any Williams fan!

"Pops Britannia" is also a must, not only because of Williams' suite, but because is simply on of the best albuns of Williams with the Pops. Delius' "Brigg Fair" and Maxwell Davies' "An Orkney Wedding, With Sunrise" are just marvelous pieces of music that everyone should listen to. To me this album is even more special, as it was my first one of Williams and the Boston Pops. Sadly is long out of print.

I agree with you about "Pops Britannia", Miguel, but my favorite track is "Scotland the Brave". The Pops, Williams and bagpipes; how can any other top it?

Jane Eyre = One of Williams best. Top 5 at least.

I got the OST 1st and was surprisingly impressed with it (much like I was when I got The Fury OST, and neither I saw the movie to until after I had memorized the beautiful scores). I got the original CD version later in a trade, and the new one's sound is clearly superior.

The film is available on DVD, and several different versions. The one I have has crappy video quality and although it has SS 5.1, it's basically the same sound coming from all the channels. Oddly I haven't watched the DVD yet... I really should.

-Chris, Far too busy in May... :)

Hey i bought it and it is wonderful. :)

Luke who forgot to mention a week ago that he bought OHMSS and likes it very much too. And who will get YOLT and DAF next :thumbup:

The bootleg is nothing more than the original Silva Screen CD (I believe), the Jane Eyre tracks from the Boston Pops album "Pops Britannia" (which is a rather rare CD, if you find it-- buy it!), and an additional Jane Eyre track of unknown origin. It also has a few tracks from other Williams scores like SpaceCamp, Reviers, and The Cowboys.

I don't think that score is complete, and although I haven't watched the DVD all the way through, I recall some unreleased material on there, but nothing that can be seperated from the SFX & dialog.

-Chris, Who feels that Jane Eyre and The Fury are two of Williams' most least known and often underrated gems...

As Chris points out, the additional tracks are newlly recorded. Three are the concert suite, as recorded by Williams and the Pops. The Unknown track, the scherzo, was recorded in the early 70's by the legendary Charles Gerhardt, with the National P.O. This was released in the late 80's on a Varese Sarabande compilation of Gerhardt recordings, originally made for Readers Digest (http://johnwilliams.jw-music.net/comp_col_disc/vsd-5207.htm).

WOW! :eek: Miguel... the master of Williams information! :devil:

Are there any more Williams works on that Gerhardt compilation? Was it CD or vinyl?

The Varese compilation also includes a recording of The Reivers theme (in fact is the end titles suite). From memory, I think both pieces were originally released on the smae Reader's Digest lp. They are both on this Varese Sarabande cd. Sadly, there are a lot of Gerhardt recordings of Williams music (and of others too) that remain unreleased in cd. I do know that Gerhardt also recorded music from E.T. and Superman.

Miguel Andrade wrote:

The Unknown track, the scherzo, was recorded in the early 70's by the legendary Charles Gerhardt, with the National P.O.
Sadly, there are a lot of Gerhardt recordings of Williams music (and of others too) that remain unreleased in cd.

Is the second quote the reason why you use the word "legendary"?

I'm not being cynical, I really want to know.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Stefancos has ribbed me many times about wanting every alternate... even if it's minor artwork variations... and Miguel is one of the few who actually has as many... if not MORE alternates than me. :eek:

Of course our trades even us out. :devil:

There are a few collectors out there like Miguel and myself... but they are those silent readers that never post on the MB.

Miguel Andrade wrote:
The Unknown track, the scherzo, was recorded in the early 70's by the legendary Charles Gerhardt, with the National P.O.
Sadly, there are a lot of Gerhardt recordings of Williams music (and of others too) that remain unreleased in cd.

Is the second quote the reason why you use the word "legendary"?

I'm not being cynical, I really want to know.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Not at all. Gerhardt was a main force in bringing back the symphonic film score to the front, in the early 70's, along with Williams original compositions. His recordings of Steiner, Korngold or Herrmann are just a must in any film music fan colection. That's the reason I said he was a legend.

Damn Miguel really stays on top of this stuff.  

This guy is like a walking, breathing, JWfan.net!  :mrgreen:

Stefancos has ribbed me many times about wanting every alternate... even if it's minor artwork variations... and Miguel is one of the few who actually has as many... if not MORE alternates than me.  

Of course our trades even us out.  

There are a few collectors out there like Miguel and myself... but they are those silent readers that never post on the MB.

I only try my best :jump:

I just saw the film and there is quite a bit of unreleased music. The character, Jane Eyre, even plays the love theme on the piano twice in the movie which was a bit of an odd crossover of source music and film music. Several other versions of the love theme that I would love to have.

Some scenes must have gotten taken out after JW scored it. "To Thornfield" isn't in the movie although I got a pretty good idea of where it was supposed to go. The Reunion was the highlight of the movie. Beautifully evocative music for a touching scene.

- Adam