Favorite Cues

Melange

Someone mentioned that this "favourites cues" subject would make an interesting thread.Its late and i have work tomomorow. So only a few off the of my head for now. I'll add later.It?s a thread we can keep going back to and adding as we come across our favourites.It can be about a full track or just a few seconds where an instrument makes the track great.If you can, name what it is about each full track or few seconds that really attracts you to it.I thought it would be good to keep the style of format I?ve put my post in. That way will be clear and others can look for the sections you are referring to and listen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Example

Jurassic Park : (11) High Wired Stunts

Then write what it is you like about the track, and include the timings

of the CD if needed.And separate each track by copying these lines too

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To start the Ball rolling i've done a few for now and will add more tommorow.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

In no order of preference.

Home Alone : (5) Man of the House

0:00 -1:10 : So skittery and full of energy. Kids theme with Asteroid field type power.

01:45 On : That cool descending mysterious sound, and that deep bassy foreboding.

In many ways this little piece reminds me a lot of Jurassic Park tracks.

Home Alone : (17) Mom Returns and Finale

This track is a beautiful suite of the themes in the film

02:36 - 03:14

Oh man, this bit is so great :) . Got this musical jewlery box sound to it.

Home Alone (19) : We Wish you a merry christmas

00:00 - 00:13

This is just a classic bit. Almost going manic, and then into that

Holiday flight chaos. I think its such a great transition into it.

Close Encounters : (16) The Escape 01:43 - 01:58

There is just something about those few seconds of music that fit the

scene in the film like a glove. A great release as they are now free.

Williams captures their excitement at escaping and running away.

Close Encounters : (12) TV Reveals

Such sublime choir and has a real fantasy quality to it. It sums up movies

of that era for me. That little end dancy bit finishes it off well 01:35 till end.

Close Encounters : (14) The Mountain

0:28 - 0:50 - Such a wonderful rise to reveal what has been sought.

I love those kind of build up build up cues to reveal something :)

Starts off simple, but gets more and complex as the track goes on.

Close Encounters : (15) Who are you people?

To me, this is Close Encounters very own Emperors Theme :)

Close Encounters : (13) Roy and Gillian on the road.

This is such a great track. High strings and that deep drawn out brass is

excellent. 00:28 and 0:40 Real menace behind it. And a quirky end too.

Close Encounters : (21) Lightshow

This is a sublime piece for me. Begins with that rumbling foreboding

depth. Then at 0:37-0:55 the beauty is revealed with the three way

split of the ships flying above Devils Tower in the movie itself.

01:15 - 01:24 : Such a wondeful slidy choral sound. I love it.

Close Encounters : (25) Returnees

To me, this shows that a movie does'nt need to have a booming brassy

soundtrack. There is such beauty in this piece i dont even have to point it

out to people who have heard it and know which bit i mean.

Close Encounters : (26) The Visitors,Goodbye

This is the piece where Roy is leaving. Its beautiful but also slightly scary at what he is about to face. They lead him by the hand, and that cue 04:17- 04:50 where he looks back and the light is behind his face is one of my favourite bits in the Close encounters film and soundtrack. Its SO romantic and you feel the wonder of what he is about to enter. Those heart melting extremely high strings ever climbing are just amazing and bring a tear.

E.T : (21 on Anniversary edition) Adventures on Earth

This is my absoloute favourite of Williams and i will have to come

back to this because my review will take up half the page...hehehe.

E.T : (06) Beginning of a Friendship

I adore this piece so much. Its simply beautiful. Like olde Lute music.

And my favourite is those sleepy sliding strings which start at 00:49.

Absoloutely incredible and so effective.Such a warm sound to it i feel.

01:30 is just great. Then that menacing brass out of the blue. Great.

E.T : (19) E.T is alive

I'll have to do this tommorow

E.T : (2 on Original edition) Bait and Chase

I chose the original edition release for this track because i think

it was the best version of it. Beginning with those fast fluterring

strings and then suddenly erupting into that loud dangerous brass.

Its really is chase music. Hehehehe. That rumbling sound along

with the quirky high instruments makes it a track full of contrast.

02:09 onwards is fantastic. That loud fanfare and then into mystery.

And thats where i leave this for now, because i need some sleep :)

Harry Potter - Hedwig's Theme

This is one of the best tracks ever. Specially in the 2nd half of the track. When we hear a somewhat elfemanesque rendition of the "magic theme", very very energic, the track is just superb, reaching it's climax in one of the great finales in film scoring history. And in this track we get to hear 2 statements of a somewhat underused theme in the score, which I'll call the Flying Waltz.

This track absolutly conveys the spirit of the books and the world of Harry Potter. I'm sure anyone who has read the books will agree with me. And that is the genious of John Williams, being abble to capture perfectly the spirit of the story and the characters in music. No one does it better. Simply classic.

Raiders of the Lost Ark - Map Room: Dawn

Another classic cue. I can't get enough of the Ark Theme. This theme perfectly ilustrates the wrath of God and the holy danger lurking in the ark. This track offers some very choir orientated statements of the theme. Gives me goosebumps everytime.

Raiders of the Lost Ark - The Miracle of the Ark

Here we hear some incredibly powerful statements of the Ark Theme. One really gets the the impression of the Ark's (and ultimatly God's) unmatched power. There some portions of this cue that are so powerful that I feel totally subdued and overwhelmed.

Return of the Jedi - The Forest Battle (Concert suite)

One amazing amazing amazing finale that only came to my attention after wathing the Clone War trailer.

Return of the Jedi - The Dark Side Beckons

Need I to say more?This is the ulitimate climax to the Starwars saga.

Hook - You are the Pan

Always reminds of the loss we suffer when we grow up. It's a very very nostalgic piece to me. The first half is operatic and awe inspiring. The second half just makes me sad.

I'll do a more indepth post later. . all my jw cd's are at school

but off the top of my head:

Somewhere in my mem'ry

at the key change. goosebumps everytime!

Schindler's List

last theme statement where the theme is an octave higher. . .the glissando into the minor 6th. . .wrenches my heart EVERYTIME!!!!

I´ll repost my message from the other thread:

==============================================

I love it... I also absolutely love this part :

Harry's Wondrous World: 2:59 - 3:36

I was also thinking of posting a topic like this... cues that you love or something like that

I have plenty... but don't have the time this ver instant.. perhaps later... hope no one wins me the ones I plan on posting

==============================================

I see that someone did...(the last part) icon8.gif

Some of my favorite cues:

Flight to Neverland/Prologue, Hook

The very beginning of these two pieces are fantastic, whether played by strings or winds, they really have a mystical feel.

March from 1941

The peppy trumpet part that is first heard at 0:40, and appears many more times throughout the piece.

Summon the Heroes

The driving part heard at 4:35. Gives me goosebumps!

E.T.

Any time the Flying Theme bursts into full glory.

Harry Potter

3:36 into Harry's Wondrous World, when the Hogwarts theme is so majestically played.

Attack of the Clones

When the trumpet picks up the main Arena theme.

Ray Barnsbury

Empire Strikes Back--Carbon Freezing Chamber Duel

I liked the cut music from the carbon freezing chamber duel in Empire Strikes Back. Hopefully in some later editions, this music will be restored (not likely).

Attack of the Clones--Swooping across Jundland Wastes

Duel of the Fates made a nice, proper appearance here, but it wasn't enough. After succeeding a movie where DOTF could be heard at any given time in the last 45 minutes, the piece was used far too few times in AOTC. I'm not saying it should've been brought back in its original form with choral accompaniment, but with variation of the two parts of the theme throughout major scenes like the Tusken camp attack and the Dooku duel.

Close Encounters--The Mountain

Awesome way of presenting the "vision" theme, with view-lift as Roy and Jillian climb up the hill. (I think I found the hill when we were out there in WY last summer, so I took the camera, my CD player, and my headphones and climbed up the hill while "The Mountain" was playing).

Here's some scenes I liked.

Harry Potter 1: Quidditch Match

Music kept me from not getting bored in this scene, I especially love how it cut into Voldemort's them when they did a close-up on Snape. And the softness when he held the Snitch in his hand. Funny when the music matched right after Hermione's head came back into view after setting Snape's cape on fire.

Witches of Eastwick- Destruction of Daryl

I loved how the brass instruments played really loudly, almost bombastically signifying Daryl's apparent anger.

Harry Potter 1: Troll battle - unreleased

I liked how the music stopped when Harry stopped to see the troll shadow. And how music almost decrescendo-ed, slowing down with low soft strings and brass undertones when the troll was defeated.

Harry Potter 1: Entry into Great Hall-unreleased

I really liked hearing this; it almost had a certain Celtic quality

Star Wars Ep 1 TPM UE: The Duel begins.

I just loved how the doors opened to reveal Darth Maul as the Duel of Fates started off quietly, crescendo-ing up to full choral.

Star Wars Episode 1: Theatrical Trailer (long one)

I loved the ESB finale music cut with scenes from Ep 1. They fit so well together. I LOVED the shot where Obi-Wan and Maul are fighting close-up, then the camera goes to the wide shot as they back away from each other.

Home Alone II: track 5, the first 30 seconds

Lost World: track 4, when the timpani and the rest of the orchestra have this brilliant rythm shift (what's the word...)

Summon the Heroes: the very last SOLO cymbals a deux clash in the last 2 seconds. This is the best Clash I ever heard, but the Land race cymbals a deux are close!

Return of the Jedi - The Forest Battle (Concert suite)

One amazing amazing amazing finale that only came to my attention after wathing the Clone War trailer.

And I think this piece suits better the Clone battle that the awful montage from TPM source cues.