full orchestra

shilum

hello,

i study classical music and i am looking for john williams editing score. the problem is that on internet i have seen many of them but there is no sample. i don't know what the difference beetween all the appelation like conductor score ot children band or suite etc...the better will be to buy a score very precise as the music on the cd. what is the best editor on internet, hal leonard? how does it cost.

thanks,

fabrice, France

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try www.alexanderpublishing.com - check the JW Study Score section. I bought some of the full orchestral score sheets from them and it is very interesting for studying. And by reading alongside 'Hymn to the fallen', I'd say these editions are very accurate and full! Nothing missing from what I could tell. Price is around $40 for either a few suites (e.g. from Star Wars) or a single piece like Hymn to the Fallen.

I'd love to have Williams study scores, but those prices are ridiculous. $48 for nothing more than Across the Stars??

Marian - who has been mad about those prices for years.

Well, if you're not serious about it, you might find $48 a high pricetag. But if you're really interested in this, it is not so bad. Afterall you have to think about the price involved in making this complete score sheet, and the fact that they dont sell 100.000 of these....

Since I'm no conductor or anything, I only want it for myself, to read the score while listening to the music. And for that, $48 for a SINGLE CD TRACK is more than just a lot.

And I can't imagine those things are so expensive to produce. They have to print the scores for the players anyway, so while they of course have to arrange them for a study score, it can't be THAT much work. I mean, I can buy two DVDs for that price.

Marian - who sometimes borrows study scores from the library, but of course they don't have any Williams.

All of 'em, of course. :mrgreen: Though the Star Wars suite would be a good start.

Marian - who found out that having a printed score often makes you hear things you didn't notice before.

Real Condensed scores are kind of hard to follow. There are anywhere from 4-40 lines, one for every instrument, all running parallel across the page. It is hard to follow, and I do not know if it is worth it to use while listening to a CD. I have scores, but I play trumpet, so I can play the trumpet parts.

The scores that you are talking about are from the "John Williams Signature Edition" series that Hal Leonard publishes. The reason they are so expensive is that they are #1 - the exact arrangements that Williams uses in performances, and #2 - they aren't "study scores"...they are an extra copy of the conductor's score from the full arrangements. Every piece you can buy the score to is also available as a FULL orchestral arrangement, all parts included for between 400 and 600 dollars. These are obviously for professional groups (or people with too much money on their hands!) I go to school about 20 minutes from J.W. Pepper's World Headquarters and warehouse, and you can go there and browse the warehouse, and I've seen the full parts to the Phantom Menace Suite for 599 I think. So they are professional editions, hence their higher price tags. They aren't small pocket-book sized study scores.

John Williams signature scores I have:

Star Wars Suite

Phantom Menace Suite

The Cowboys Overture

Liberty Fanfare

Hymn To The Fallen

Dry Your Tears, Africa

The Olympic Spirit

Call of the Champions

plus the Concert Band Transcription of March from 1941

So if you have any questions about the scores, ask me!!! I've got a bunch of em!!! :(

-JCM

Fabrice,

If you are looking for the exact music by John Williams, you should only buy the ones that say Hal Leonard John Williams Signature Editions... Cest important qu'ill dit "signature editions". Excuse my spelling in French, I haven't spoken it for 20 years. I have pretty much all of them so far.

ocelot

thanks ocelot :mrgreen:

i will certainly buy one of hal leonard and after if someone is interesting in i will trade with one of us, if you are inetresting :mrgreen: